• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking to upgrade my Laptops CPU

Soldato
From the laptop page, these are the supported CPUs:

AMD Phenom™ II quad-core mobile processor N950
AMD Phenom™ II triple-core mobile processor N850
AMD Phenom™ II dual-core mobile processor N620/N640
AMD Turion™ II dual-core mobile processor P540
AMD Athlon™ II dual-core processor P320/P340

EDIT: Blind, you stated it was a P340, my bad. Then yes, you can upgrade it if you know how to open the laptop. But sadly I do not know any good places which sells laptop CPUs :(.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only source really would be an auction site or a breaker. It is possible and I have done it but not on your model laptop. May need a bios update or it may be recognised easily. Like all laptop upgrades it is more difficult than a desktop and you need to very careful removing components and rebuilding. Take lots of pictures. A quad core mobile processor will probably cost ^£100.

Don
Personally, I'd up the ram to 4gb and put a SSD in there and run with minimal software, use Chrome instead of IE/Firefox etc

My netbook feels nice and quick since doing this, it's a single core AMD too

Associate
Whilst I have no experience of Acer laptops, most laptop CPU's in my experience are not in sockets, they are hard soldered into the motherboard, so a CPU upgrade means a motherboard swap.

Soldato
Whilst I have no experience of Acer laptops, most laptop CPU's in my experience are not in sockets, they are hard soldered into the motherboard, so a CPU upgrade means a motherboard swap.

'most laptops'?!

I deal with 910, 915, 945, 965 and PM45 chipset laptops with the odd AMD one weekly and have yet to find a soldered one. This also includes the odd Athlon XP and Pentium 4 based laptop. It's probably a whole lot cheaper to design a motherboard with a certain range of cpus in mind for different levels of product than it is to not solder a socket on and do each cpu model for each product line. Don't see soldered cpus since PIII days and only in modern netbooks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom