• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS P5N-E SLI + hd 7950 monitor problem

Associate
So a mate of mine has just bought a hd 6950 and whenever he turns his pc on the monitor just doesn't respond, he's tryed the gpu in another pc and it works fine so i thought maybe PSU related, had him try the other PSU in his case but again same issue, so doesn't seem to be PSU related either, only thing i can think of is if his motherboard isn't compatible with the HD 6950 GPU?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited:
Soldato
So a mate of mine has just bought a hd 7950 and whenever he turns his pc on the monitor just doesn't respond, he's tryed the gpu in another pc and it works fine so i thought maybe PSU related, had him try the other PSU in his case but again same issue, so doesn't seem to be PSU related either, only thing i can think of is if his motherboard isn't compatible with the HD 7950 GPU?

Anyone got any suggestions?

thats your problem right there ;)

think you mean 6950 not 7950 as the 7xxx series isn't out yet :)

Caporegime
We'll work on the basis you're talking about a HD 6950 until you say different.

What make and model of monitor?

What type of connection is your mate using: DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA?

Associate
OP
We'll work on the basis you're talking about a HD 6950 until you say different.

What make and model of monitor?

What type of connection is your mate using: DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA?

He's using VGA i believe atm, not sure on the make and model of the monitor without asking him though, when he tried the GPU in the other PC he used the same monitor as he's using now so don't think it's an issue with the monitor at least, will get the make and model if you think it might still be relevant though.

Caporegime
If he's using VGA then likely he's using a DVI to VGA adapter.

The HD 6950 has 2 DVI connections.

1 is DVI-D, digital only.

1 is DVI-I, analogue (VGA) and digital.

Tell him to plug the DVI to VGA adapter into the other DVI connector on the graphics card.

Associate
OP
I've just had another reply from him and he says he's tried swapping around every bit of hardware in his pc, motherboard ram, psu etc and the only time the GPU doesn't work is when it has his intel q6600 cpu is plugged in :S

Seems like a proper random thing for the CPU to effect the GPU giving out a display to his monitor though, thinking it might be an issue of his pc not posting when he has the gpu + q6600 in together rather than it being a matter of simply not giving out a signal.

Will ask him whether it is posting or not but until then any further input is appreciated.

Associate
OP
It seems with his new GPU in, his pc either doesn't post at all or after round 15 seconds it will do 4-5 beeps within half a second of each other, any idea's what could be causing this?

Soldato
The motherboard manual should tell you what the beep codes represent, if he doesn't have it a pdf version should be available on the manufacturers website. You say he swapped out the PSU, did he swap it out for one of the same wattage, and if so what size?

It sounds like the GPU isn't getting enough power somehow. Had a similar problem durring my build, I slightly knocked out one of the PCIe power cables from the power supply, PC wouldn't post, was devastated to begin with, thought it was a dead GPU, so remember to check all the connections.

Associate
OP
The motherboard manual should tell you what the beep codes represent, if he doesn't have it a pdf version should be available on the manufacturers website. You say he swapped out the PSU, did he swap it out for one of the same wattage, and if so what size?

It sounds like the GPU isn't getting enough power somehow. Had a similar problem durring my build, I slightly knocked out one of the PCIe power cables from the power supply, PC wouldn't post, was devastated to begin with, thought it was a dead GPU, so remember to check all the connections.

Looking at the manual it says 4 short beeps = Hardware component failure.

The new PSU he bought and put in is 750w i believe he said.

Just to clarify he's tried the GPU on another system with both PSU's and both power the GPU fine on the other system, he then tried swapping the ram and again no issue's, as soon as he swapped the CPU however the other system would then not work either i believe, and again as soon as he put his old GPU in it worked again, so individually everything seems to work fine, it's just when the q6600 and the hd 6950 are together when it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom