Lenovo S205 vs HP DM1

Associate
I am currently considering an ultraportable laptop or super-netbook as these sometimes seem to be branded. It seems there are currently two main competitors using the AMD Fusion platform in this market are the moment. The Lenovo S205 and the HP DM1. I really like the look of the Lenovo and it seems to have good build quality and looks good. However the HP is also tempting me due to slightly better specs offered on their updated model.

Lenovo S205
AMD E-300 (1.3 Ghz)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Memory: 3GB
Hard drive: 320GB

HP DM1
AMD E-450 (1.65 Ghz)
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
Memory: 4GB
Hard drive: 320 GB

There are some problems with both models. Most obviously is a 4GB machine running 32-bit Windows which is rather pointless so this is the major drawback of this particular HP. On the plus side it runs the more powerful E-450 which utilises full 1333-DDR3 memory rather than the Lenovo's slower E-300 which is limited to 1066-DDR3 memory. The Lenovo does have 64-bit Windows though but is not able to take advantage of it since it only has 3GB RAM anyway.

So between these particular models, which is the better option?

Associate
There is a E-350 S205 which I have, it came with 2GB but I updated to 4gb for £12.
A E-450 version will be available in the next few weeks - possible price of £350, but for the extra 0.05GHz from the E-350 to E-450 and 2gb extra ram I don't think £80 is worth paying.

Associate
OP
How do you find the performance of S205 with the AMD E350?

I know it will be fine for web browsing but how about when using Word processing and iTunes for example? I guess it is ok for these tasks?

Also I read something about getting a lot of static noise through earphones when plugging into the headphone jack on the laptop. Do you experience anything like that? Thanks

Associate
Very interested in this debate as well as looking to purchase. Re the static I did see a link about using some different drivers which should fix it - can't find it right now but will have a look later.

I'm thinking more DM1 just now... but yet to click buy!

Associate
How do you find the performance of S205 with the AMD E350?

I know it will be fine for web browsing but how about when using Word processing and iTunes for example? I guess it is ok for these tasks?

Also I read something about getting a lot of static noise through earphones when plugging into the headphone jack on the laptop. Do you experience anything like that? Thanks

For my use the E-350 is adiquate, I have changed the hdd to an OCZ 120gb Vertex ssd which helps. Obviously not in the same league as my OC'd i5 760.

Not noticed any static but I use bluetooth headphones and my ears arn't that good, even after 2 ops to help, the plastic bones they put in tend to reverberate at some frequencies:eek:

Back
Top Bottom