Gigabyte - Boot Loop / Cold Boot Update

Caporegime
It doesn't matter what Psu you have, it doesn't matter what memory you use, it doesn't matter if it's default or overclocked at some point in time your gigabyte board might just start up and freeze before it even gets to the bios logo and shut itself off, before repeating the cycle. This is down to a cold boot issue, some people can even get a system shut off when it was stable before and it will keep shutting off and rebooting on it's own. There are many users such as my self that when it does cold boot, it's simply a case of removing the psu cable and plugging it back in then it will auto start on it's own and work for hours. I've had the system up for two days and played hours of games, it runs prime 24hrs and 10hrs of intel burn test without so much as a sneeze :D

But because the issue has become more and more of a problem for many users gigabyte have kept on releasing beta bios's to fix the issue.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,7895.0.html
http://www.overclock.net/t/1034724/gigabyte-p67-z68-boot-cycling-problem

Facts about Boot Loop:

1) On a cold boot your motherboard will POST up to the "Memory Testing" (which is like the first 3 lines on your POST screen) line and then restarts on it's own. It will continue to do this for a infinite number of times, theoretically. If someone actually wants to sit in front of their computer and start a count on how many times it restarts, be my guest.

2) Restarting will not work, as it continues to boot loop. You'll have to hold down the power button for 5 secs (or whatever amount of time) until your PC manually shuts down. Turning it back on immediately after a shutdown continues the boot loop, you must wait at least 20-30 seconds.
Gigabyte today finally replied in this thread on their own forum!

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,7895.15.html

Hi Neil79 and others

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I will check the status of this issue internally and will contact you soon.
Flashing the back up bios, clearing the bios e.t.c is only a placebo and may still happen a day or two later. Gigabyte are looking into it and also there are a number of members on this forum also getting the issue so it's something either in the bios or a manufacturing default!

Last edited:
Associate
what happened with that bios i posted you neil? did you try it? did it fix issues? i need to let the bios guy know whether it fixed it or not so he can let his contacts know

To be honest since no currently available gigabyte p67 or z68 board I know of is free from this problem i'll have to say no. Especially as you say it was a UD4 bios changed to work on a UD3. The UD4/UD5 etc all have this problem.

If you want me to test any bios on the GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 I am more than willing.

Caporegime
OP
what happened with that bios i posted you neil? did you try it? did it fix issues? i need to let the bios guy know whether it fixed it or not so he can let his contacts know

Sorry mate no, i'm abit wary of trying a modified bios from another motherboard, besides this issue affects a lot of gigabyte boards not just the UD3P :(

I thankyou though :cool:

You could try posting in that thread, perhaps others will try it out? :)

Caporegime
OP
its from a good proper source,i wouldnt post anything that would harm your pc,im a mod here for long time so check regularly for beta bios updates and general help

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

This all boot loop problem is related to memory,inproper BIOS flash and Backup BIOS.
My last "cold boot problem" (loop) has been with EP45-UD3P and "best of the best" memory Team Xtreem TXDD2048M1300HC6DC.

See this is where he is completely wrong and most likely where gigabyte is failing also, I've read a damn good guide about bios flashing with this board and bios backing up. There are too many cases with different memory types aswell to be memory related.

There is only so much we the customer can do :(, I'll take a look at the bios over the weekend

Caporegime
OP
Backing up the bios was the first thing I did when going to F7C, Didn't have any cold boot issues today but I did yesterday.

POWER BUTTON - SYSTEM STARTS - NO VIDEO DISPLAY - SYSTEM SHUTS OFF - PULL OUT PSU CABLE - PLUG PSU CABLE BACK IN - SYSTEM STARTS ON IT'S OWN - SYSTEM BOOTS TO WINDOWS

Associate
I am currently talking to someone close to gigabyte and he may be taking my board in for testing to try and find the cause of the problem. We are just trying a few things before this happens.

I'll hopefully have some news soon.

Caporegime
OP
Hi,

After checking with our BIOS engineer, F7a, F7b and F7c also has been implemented the cold boot solution.

We are not able to duplicate this issue on our side. Please provide the steps how to replicate the issue. Alternatively please send the system to GBT UK for further check.

Useless support would be nice to know what the cold boot solution was and why they needed so many beta bios releases which doesn't fix it

Soldato
I must say after my one almost cold boot issue I have had no other problems. I will leave it a week as I'm sure I will be back cursing the board in a few days... :D

Associate
I put together the below system that is almost identical to what Neil's is at the weekend. So i am curious to how this issue gets resolved just in case the problem pops up with me.

F3 Bios(not touching it until i need too!)
XFX black edition 850w PSU
Z68XP-UD3P rev.1
Kingston HyperX genesis grey 8gig
6850 x 2 in crossfire
i5 2500k 3.3ghz
geil tranquillo rev.2 cooler
cm690II case

Back
Top Bottom