Very seamingly random problem, PLEASe help me!

Associate
Ok so i start my computer up, and i get no signal to the monitor, and the mouse and keyboard lights dont come on, but the computer boots up, all fans spinning etc.

So i change the pci express slot that the graphics card is in, and it boots up fine, i get a signal from the monitor, everything is working fine.

BUT

once ive shut down, the next time i turn it on, it does the same, in the same slot i swapped it too.

If i then swap the graphics card back to the other pci express slot, everything works again, so basically everytime i start, i have to change the card slots from 1to2 2to1. Its been since ive got my new ati 7970. (so both pci express slots works)

I really do not understand why i have to do this, because once i switch it EVERYTHING works fine, games vido etc everything.

Please help.

Associate
OP
Say the computer has been off overnight, and the gfx card is in slot 1.

I try to start up and i get no signal, and the mouse and keybaord dont work.

If i then change the slot the gfx card is in, it all works fine and boots up as normal.

Next day, i turn it on, with the card in the second slot (which it worked in the day before) it does the same, no signal not working etc.

If i then swap it back to slot one, i get signal and everything is fine.

So both pci express slots do work.

Trying to explain it the best i can lol.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Pc specs are:

Msi p67 gd53 b3
8gb Kingston hyper x
Ati 7970
650w ocz Zs psu
500gb wd hdd
I5 2500k @ 4.2

Yes my gtx 570 was fine, never happened on that, so how could it be a motherboard problem? Also could it be because the card is pci express 3 and I was using a 2.0 card before?

Soldato
No, PCIE is backwards compatible, PCIE3 isn't supported yet until Ivybridge anyway (new Intel CPUs), so everyones running their 7970 on PICE 2

Hmm, yeah maybe it is the card then. A very strange problem. Anyone got any ideas!? If not, I'd get an RMA.

Back
Top Bottom