Turning normal TV into SMART TV?

Associate
Hey guys,

I have a Samsung 50" Plasma PS50A556S2F TV and am looking for some advice on turning this into a SMART TV.

I'm looking for something that enables true internet access with a web browser etc. I purchased one of them wi-fi dongles for my blu-ray player but didn't realise this was just widget based with very limited usability.

I understand you can purchase these boxes which can turn your TV into a SMART TV but am unsure on the best way to do this or the best rated products.

Any help is appreciated.

Man of Honour
I understand you can purchase these boxes which can turn your TV into a SMART TV
I think they're called PCs ;) :D

Seriously though, if you want full web browsing then you really want a PC hooked up to the TV. Things such as media streamers are a bit better than a WiFi enabled TV or Blu-ray player, but they're still very limited in their browsing capabilities.

Have a look at ACER Revo or simply hook up your laptop

Caporegime
Yip, I just hook my laptop up to mine. Use a mouse and keyboard.

Instant 'smart' screen AKA a monitor.

Though Smart screens that are advertised can have different features on them, such as utilising recording via external HDD etc.

But if its only web browsing your interested in I would hook up your laptop if you have one.

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
OP I have my laptop hooked up to my HDTV in the living room via HDMI.

I then bought a wireless keyboard. If you check a well-known online store you will see a wireless keyboard with built-in touchpad. This setup works brilliantly and now I slouch on couch while surfin the net, YouTubin & iPlayerin and Facebookin' :D

Soldato
The interfaces on the smart TVs Ive seen are pathetic. Who designs them? I wanna meet them. My Panasonic HDTV is a smart TV but its UI is *so* bad that I resorted to connecting a laptop.

For example if you want to type in a text box (like on youtube) a grid appears with the letters in it (and its not even in QWERTY form). Using the middle button on the remote you move the cursor around and press it on each letter to form a word. Painful doesnt even begin to describe it. Oh and have fun if you make a spelling error!

What MORON made it this way? Just provide the remote with a small QWERTY pad! How did this pass the testing phase I wonder.

Associate
I've never found web browsing on a TV to be a particularly great experience, web browsing from the couch is best achieved on a tablet imho - depends what exactly you are trying to do however.
The interfaces on the smart TVs Ive seen are pathetic. Who designs them? I wanna meet them. My Panasonic HDTV is a smart TV but its UI is *so* bad that I resorted to connecting a laptop.

For example if you want to type in a text box (like on youtube) a grid appears with the letters in it (and its not even in QWERTY form). Using the middle button on the remote you move the cursor around and press it on each letter to form a word. Painful doesnt even begin to describe it. Oh and have fun if you make a spelling error!

What MORON made it this way? Just provide the remote with a small QWERTY pad! How did this pass the testing phase I wonder.
The iPlayer interface is lovely though, and while text entry with a tv remote is never going to be fantastic the apps I've tried do at least support old school SMS style character entry (i.e. 2,2,2 for a C) - or of course you can buy a keyboard.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh no Im not crying about iPlayers interface which is excellent :)

Im on about the *Panasonic UI* on my TV.

If they are going to make net-connected TVs then they should KNOW people are gonna wanna surf the web on them. Why not provide a wireless QWERTY pad with the TV? Instead when I first got the TV and had mates over I had to suffer the embarrassment of watching them giggle as I took a month to type in a YouTube search.

Back
Top Bottom