Memory for a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5?

Soldato
Hi,

I am wanting to upgrade the 6gb i have on my old gigabyte motherboard but am not sure what to go for.

Now I liked the look of the new Samsung 30nm kits but it seems my motherboard will support 1600MHz but One DIMM Per Channel Only which I assume means I can only put in 3 stick of it? So am I stuck with picking 1333MHz sticks?

Caporegime
The RAM height of the Corsair Vengeance is really tall (but you are water cooled?) so wont be an issue, the timings are a smidge lower (9-9-9-27 vs 9-9-9-24) but it wont be noticeable, save the money the Kingston:)

Caporegime
You can run dual channel kits, but you lose bandwidth.

This is from your boards manual,
Untitled-38.png

Caporegime
Soldato
OP
Right had a read through the link and basically there isn't any great difference between dual and triple channel. But as my board will only allow me to put 1 dim per channel of 1600MHz that means I can still only put 3 sticks in of the Samsung and get 12gb I assume? I can't put 4 sticks of the Samsung ram and get 16gb right?

In which case I might as well save some money and go for the Kingston kit.

Associate
you can put however many sticks of ram you want (as long as they fit! so max 6 sticks) but the memory bandwidth will change depending on the order you put them in the slots (see picture above)

1 stick - single channel
2 sticks - dual channel
3 sticks - triple channel
4 sticks - still triple channel
5 sticks - single channel
6 sticks - triple channel

so you are fine using 4 sticks as long as you put them in the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th slots.

Caporegime
Right had a read through the link and basically there isn't any great difference between dual and triple channel. But as my board will only allow me to put 1 dim per channel of 1600MHz that means I can still only put 3 sticks in of the Samsung and get 12gb I assume? I can't put 4 sticks of the Samsung ram and get 16gb right?

In which case I might as well save some money and go for the Kingston kit.

you can install four sticks of samsung =16gb and run them in dual channel mode,but for that mb tri channel is best imo so three sticks =12gb tri channel mode or four sticks=16gb dual channel mode

Associate
you can install four sticks of samsung =16gb and run them in dual channel mode,but for that mb tri channel is best imo so three sticks =12gb tri channel mode or four sticks=16gb dual channel mode

actually some of the x58 boards still support tri channel even with 4 sticks (even says so in the picture above...)

Soldato
Hi, a x58 ud5 does support tri-channel > 4 sticks > slot 2 /1/ 3 / 5, as in stulids picture. You can down load the manual from Gigabytes website to keep you right if you have not got one.

Back
Top Bottom