PSU Crackling sound, even after replacing

Caporegime
try looking in the same place in the bios and turn off eist,if sound is still there re enable both c1e and eist

another thing to check is the psu fan itself,power off pc and slowly rotate the psu fan with your finger just to check its not catching on the psu case/fan shield

Associate
OP
Try a different PSU and definitely not another XFX as that clicking sound is common with XFX PSU .

Thing is it's not that kind of clicking at all. If it was, I'd be able to put it down to the XFX clicking that some people report. However it's much more an electric static kind of noise.

Associate
The only thing that I can hear from the file that you had uploaded is noise from what sounds like a fan and a clicking sound.
That clicking sound is most probably from a loose transformer core inside the psu vibrating.
The only way to rule out, that it is not definitely the xfx psu is to use a different brand.

Soldato
I absolutely DID hear a crackling sound.

However... There is a low hum in that and at first I thought it sounded a bit like a knackered fan, but it more likely sounds like an earth hum.

You say that you have tried 2 PSUs and you have the same sound, then I would strip the PC down and take the motherboard out and then re-seat it, just in case there is some shorting there!

Do you have another PC to try the PSU in?

You can, and I dont knopw if I should tel lyou this, but you can force an ATX Powersupply to come on, by shorting two wires together.
The Corsair PSUs have all black wires dont they? I know mine all do, but older ATX PSUs have multi coloured wires, and if you ground the GREEN wire to one of the BLACK wires, you can start the PSU up.
This done outside of the case will show you if the PSU is at fault, but I wont tell you which wires, you will have to check that out yourself cos if you kill the PSU by chosing the wrong wires.... Im not to blame!

Associate
Thank you for the reply FatRakoon,
What do you mean by earth hum?
Yes I have tried two PSU`s and the same sound occurs, I can reinstall the motherboard and its components and see what happens.
I do indeed have another PC I can test the PSU in! I will give the wire test a go and get back to you!
Don't worry your location in your bio will give me moral support I should be fine ^^ :p

Associate
I absolutely DID hear a crackling sound.

However... There is a low hum in that and at first I thought it sounded a bit like a knackered fan, but it more likely sounds like an earth hum.

You say that you have tried 2 PSUs and you have the same sound, then I would strip the PC down and take the motherboard out and then re-seat it, just in case there is some shorting there!

Do you have another PC to try the PSU in?

You can, and I dont knopw if I should tel lyou this, but you can force an ATX Powersupply to come on, by shorting two wires together.
The Corsair PSUs have all black wires dont they? I know mine all do, but older ATX PSUs have multi coloured wires, and if you ground the GREEN wire to one of the BLACK wires, you can start the PSU up.
This done outside of the case will show you if the PSU is at fault, but I wont tell you which wires, you will have to check that out yourself cos if you kill the PSU by chosing the wrong wires.... Im not to blame!

Thank you for the reply FatRakoon,
What do you mean by earth hum?
Yes I have tried two PSU`s and the same sound occurs, I can reinstall the motherboard and its components and see what happens.
I do indeed have another PC I can test the PSU in! I will give the wire test a go and get back to you!
Don't worry your location in your bio will give me moral support I should be fine ^^ :p (I miss posted the first reply)

Soldato
PSU TEST:
Ok, well its Pin 16 is the POWER ON line... It was or should be GREEN
Either side of that, PINS 15 and 17 are both GROUND. There are a few grounds, but m,ight as well use the ones next to it... Use a bit of wire or whatever the heck you want, just to force the pwoer supply to power on and if that hums or does the noise, then yeah, its the Power supply, but if its silent, then its not the PSU!
But as you have another PC, then I'd do that method first.
Similarly, just swap the PSUs around if you can and see if either makes the noise!?

Whats the Earth Hum?
Well, its sort of a low sounding MMMMMMM sound, that is sometimes barely noticeable or it could be overwhelming.
You can get it when you use low quality poorly shielded cables.

For example, years ago, I had my music equipment all setup and I had a non-stop buzzing sound that I could not get rid of.
Then, when I decided to go through my wiring again, I found that the LINE-LEVEL cables, or rather a couple of them, were going alongside some MIDI cables. The trouble is, that I used unshielded cabling as I had cut a load of corners, and seperating the cables cured the issue. SILENCE!!!
So, I bought some betetr quality cables with good shielding and the issue was cured full time.
What this was basically caused by, is the noise of electic pulses in the wires were crossing over and affecting the audio.
This is NOT what you have, but it taught me about the importance of good quality cables.

You can also get it with some kind of SHORT. This may be what you have. Perhaps the Motherboard is touching, a part of the case, or there is some short with a peripheral, or anything that is making some kind of connection thats causing it to short somehow? - Of course, I dont know what the cause is, but I have had times when a PC does have a weird noise just like yours, and its been fixed by simply re-seating the Motherboard, and of course adding each part one by one, just in case its something that seems to be nothing to do with the problem, but indirectly is the culprit!

Good luck.

Associate
FlamePSU dont hijack someone elses thread and please make your own.

In regards to OP I would seem the crackling sound from the audio file is hard to hear whether it be electrical or not. the youtube video is unavailable in order to help you much further.

Associate
PSU TEST:
Ok, well its Pin 16 is the POWER ON line... It was or should be GREEN
Either side of that, PINS 15 and 17 are both GROUND. There are a few grounds, but m,ight as well use the ones next to it... Use a bit of wire or whatever the heck you want, just to force the pwoer supply to power on and if that hums or does the noise, then yeah, its the Power supply, but if its silent, then its not the PSU!
But as you have another PC, then I'd do that method first.
Similarly, just swap the PSUs around if you can and see if either makes the noise!?

Whats the Earth Hum?
Well, its sort of a low sounding MMMMMMM sound, that is sometimes barely noticeable or it could be overwhelming.
You can get it when you use low quality poorly shielded cables.

For example, years ago, I had my music equipment all setup and I had a non-stop buzzing sound that I could not get rid of.
Then, when I decided to go through my wiring again, I found that the LINE-LEVEL cables, or rather a couple of them, were going alongside some MIDI cables. The trouble is, that I used unshielded cabling as I had cut a load of corners, and seperating the cables cured the issue. SILENCE!!!
So, I bought some betetr quality cables with good shielding and the issue was cured full time.
What this was basically caused by, is the noise of electic pulses in the wires were crossing over and affecting the audio.
This is NOT what you have, but it taught me about the importance of good quality cables.

You can also get it with some kind of SHORT. This may be what you have. Perhaps the Motherboard is touching, a part of the case, or there is some short with a peripheral, or anything that is making some kind of connection thats causing it to short somehow? - Of course, I dont know what the cause is, but I have had times when a PC does have a weird noise just like yours, and its been fixed by simply re-seating the Motherboard, and of course adding each part one by one, just in case its something that seems to be nothing to do with the problem, but indirectly is the culprit!

Good luck.

I see what you are saying Capodecina I will give your steps a go thank you for the advice and guidance much appreciated will get back to you and let you know how things went!

Associate
FlamePSU dont hijack someone elses thread and please make your own.

In regards to OP I would seem the crackling sound from the audio file is hard to hear whether it be electrical or not. the youtube video is unavailable in order to help you much further.

Sorry Mr mcgoo I was not aware I could not post on other threads, first time doing this. I will be on my way and make my own

Soldato
Remove the video card and use the built in intel graphics. Either the very old video card is dying or you have bare metal/faulty wires touching elsewhere which could be very dangerous.

You should absolutely remove all wires from your PSU at both ends and re-insert them. Additionally check the connection on any old molex fan connections. These are notorious for failing.

Now, the PC is rock solid but it cannot see more than 4GB... Rather it sees it just fine it just wont bother using it. BIOS sees 4 slots used but only works on 2... CPUz sees all 4 slots and all the ram and gives me the specs and everything but the Mobo and Windows wont play ball.
Faulty pin/connection of the CPU to the motherboard is the most common cause. Usually you've inserted the CPU at an angle, bent a pin or over tightened the cooler which has caused the former.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom