Crucial V4 SSDs

Soldato
Surprised to see no thread on these upcoming drives.

They seem to have an RRP which is very low considering what the M4 drives were released at.

128GB - £79.99
256GB - £149.99

being the 2 key price points.

Anyone have any info on performance or what NAND chips they'll be using? Considering that SATA2 gets saturated at around 285MB/s it is reasonable to assume that SATA3 gets saturated at 570MB/s. So M4 performance is already close to that.

Also why are these v4?

C300 = v1
M4 = v2

Last edited:
Soldato
to be honest all i want is M4 speeds but taking advantage of the newer tech, ie better chips + cheaper pricing for larger capacity drives in the new generation. from the press releases ive seen though they are only releasing up to 256gb drives.

these look to be great for people who havent yet dived into having a SSD for a boot drive but far off for someone who wants larger cheaper SSD's which we would expect from a new generation of drives.

Soldato
My guess is that they will be using the Marvell 88SS9187. This is the replacement for the M4's controller. I assume Crucial have been happy with the performance so far.

As for NAND, Micron are selling 20nm and Sandisk are selling 19nm. I'm guessing 20nm chips.

Edit: As far as I know the C400 was a little msata thing for laptops and the like? Maybe that was v3?

Double Edit, kapow!: Here's a snippet from Anandtech, basically a slightly fancier controller than in the M4's: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5676/marvells-3rd-generation-88ss9187-ssd-controller

Triple Edit, kablammo!: Incase you were wondering what SATA 3.1 offers, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#SATA_revision_3.1

Last edited:
Associate
The Crucial V4 appears to be a budget-line SATA2 SSD, so it probably won't use Marvell's SATA3.1 supporting 88SS9187 controller.

Associate
Any product a manufacturer launches now is to fight the market over the next 12 months. Crucial clearly believe this battleground is just price backed up by their good name. The price of £150 is a starting point, but £100 is surely the aim point for 256GB over the year. If a 512GB is launched then you will know they believe they will become affordable too.

The price premium for M is about 20% - which we're used to paying for our love of benchmarks - but I'm sure a replacement is on the horizon - again they need a product that will survive in the market as it will become over the next 12 months.

Soldato
Have to say if those rrp's are right then I don't see the point in buying one, unless the retail prices are considerably cheaper, as the m4 128gb is only about £10-15 and the 256 about £30 more....

It just makes no sense to me to buy a sata 2 when a sata 3 is just a little bit more... especially if you're likely to upgrade in the near future.

Last edited:
Associate
Data transmission
Read speed: 230 MB/s
Write speed: 175 MB/s
Random write (4KB): 10000 IOPS
Random read (4KB): 4000 IOPS
Data transfer rate: 3 Gbit/s

Seems like an M4 Lite. Better off with an M4 if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom