Spec Check Please?

Associate
OP
hehe if they made them perfect modders would get bored :)
i agree with height off the ground, maybe they should start selling extra tall feet

Definitely needed some height off the ground, I have now realised that I cannot have a fan by the PSU because of this reason.

So in total I am planing on having 2 x intake, 1 x exhaust and 2 x on the CPU Cooler.

5 Fans in total, don't know if that will be sufficient without sacrificing on noise, we shall see :)

Mei

Mei

Soldato
i think having a low spinning one there might do a bit tho, as its basicly blowing straight into the gfx card, where its needed
does the bottom dust filter cover that slot too? i forget

Associate
OP
i think having a low spinning one there might do a bit tho, as its basicly blowing straight into the gfx card, where its needed

Yeah could spin this fan on low speed...I believe the dust filter does cover the slot but will have to check tonight lol :(

Associate
OP

I added a fan from my old pc and had it as an intake so that it blew air into the graphics card.

Temperatures dropped about 2-3C which is good for a 6 year old fan :p

I had to have the old fan on the lowest setting otherwise it was too loud, so I will add a more decent fan which creates less noise here :)

Associate
OP
Wait wait...cpu cooler in controller!?
That in my opinion is highly dangerous to do..

It was me being silly :rolleyes:

I checked last night and the CPU Cooler is plugged into the CPU Cooler Pins on the motherboard :D

The back exhaust fan and the front top intake fan (both fractals) are the fans that were connected to the Fan Controller at the front.

The fractal fans are the fans that I can hear when turned up at 12V :(:mad:

I am thinking of replacing these with more quieter fans? e.g. Thermaltake/Corsair? :confused:

Mei

Mei

Soldato
i forget what them fractals run at, think its 1000rpm
they shouldnt be that loud?
tho what they are blowing against often has something to do with it
you could just use ur fan controller and turn them down? hehe

anyway i like the look of these for case fans
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-029-NB&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=1816
seem pretty good value with extras you get with them, they use bolts and rubber gromets which is nice, means they should last
and it depends if you are going to use that fan controller what speed fans would be best i think :)

Associate
OP
i forget what them fractals run at, think its 1000rpm
they shouldnt be that loud?
tho what they are blowing against often has something to do with it
you could just use ur fan controller and turn them down? hehe

anyway i like the look of these for case fans
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-029-NB&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=1816
seem pretty good value with extras you get with them, they use bolts and rubber gromets which is nice, means they should last
and it depends if you are going to use that fan controller what speed fans would be best i think :)

The Fractal fans run at 1000 RPM.

At 12V they are not THAT loud, i'm just being fussy :p

Ideally, I would have more case fans and run them all at 7V to keep the noise down :)

I really want to use the existing fan controller however, I may get an additional fan controller, not really sure if I need that though.

Associate
OP
I did a Prime95 test for 10 minutes yesterday (the quick one) and my CPU temperature hit 81 on load!!! - Bare in mind that I only have 1 exhaust fan and 1 intake fan.

On idle the temperature was around ~30-35 which is okay.

What are people's views on this? More case fans would help keep the CPU temperature down? Or have I set something up incorrectly or possibly, a bad CPU Cooler mount?

I have left the BIOS settings as default, could my voltage on the motherboard be set automatically which is too high?

Please note, I have not overclocked yet...

Last edited:

Mei

Mei

Soldato
hm 80 does seem a little high
how fast does it reach that temp?
reason i ask is bcos if it goes to 80 fast its usually a sign the heatsink isnt making good enough contact, but if it goes to say 50 then just slowly keeps creeping up then its more likely airflow

Associate
OP
hm 80 does seem a little high
how fast does it reach that temp?
reason i ask is bcos if it goes to 80 fast its usually a sign the heatsink isnt making good enough contact, but if it goes to say 50 then just slowly keeps creeping up then its more likely airflow

It slowly creeps up, then slowly creeps down during cool down.

I think it is an airflow issue thats all :)

Associate
OP
An update :)

So, the Thermalright TY-141 fans did not properly fit inside the Fractal Design R4 case as expected due to their weird shape however, I was prepared :)

Therefore, instead of using 2 x Thermalright TY-141 fans as an intake, I have used 1 x Fractal and 1 x Thermalright as an intake.

I just about squeezed in the Thermalright fan with the Fractal fan at the front as you can see in the picture below. Even though the fit was nice and snug, I still cable tied the Thermalright fan and added Akasa Siliconized Rubber Fan Pins to the Fractal fan. I then cut off the excess size on the pins, but I did this after I took the picture just in case I had to refit the fan :p

So, now that I had more fans, I wanted to also put in a Fan Controller. I bought a Zalman Plus, and it was mentioned that the knobs would prevent the Design R4 case door closing and that proved to be correct. Again, I was aware of this and luckily, recessing the DVD drive along with the Fan Controller looks fine, and now I can also close the door as you can see here:

SpeedFan picture where PC has been on for 24 hours idle (downloading in the background). I haven't worked out what each of the temperatures relate to at the moment except for the obvious ones, anyone can help here? :)

All fans are running very low speed, with the fan controller knob turned 25% so all of the points on the Zalman fan are pointing to the 9 o'Clock.

Will post another picture of SpeedFan etc once I run a stress test.

Please note, HD2 reporting 56C is incorrect. Its a faulty sensor on the harddrive that is around 5 years old :)

Updated front view case picture with extra fans and hard drives moved to the bottom of the case to improve airflow.

Updated back view case picture with wires re-rewired due to the installation of extra fans and fan controller.

Hope you have enjoyed the read :)

Last edited:
Soldato
n00b, is a fan blowing over HD2? I know its going to be hotter than the SSD, but it shouldn't be hotter than the other disk drive.

/Edit: In SpeedFan set up your motherboard or its chipset, that way it will tell you what the temperatures are (including CPU ones).

Associate
OP
n00b, is a fan blowing over HD2? I know its going to be hotter than the SSD, but it shouldn't be hotter than the other disk drive.

/Edit: In SpeedFan set up your motherboard or its chipset, that way it will tell you what the temperatures are (including CPU ones).

Will do, also, HD2 reports a false temperature as the sensor is broken.

It reported that temperature 5 years ago :D

Associate
OP
Great little update there bro!

Took a lot of time to get everything how I wanted it to be but I think i've sorted it all now so I can finally do some mileage on the PC :p

Was so very tempted to overclock last night but got busy with other stuff.

If I get a chance tonight, I'll have a go :D

Back
Top Bottom