• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does "GPU Scaling" cause input lag?

Soldato
When playing CS:GO I like to play in 4:3 resolution....

If I tick the "use gpu scaling" in ATI/AMD control panel this is the only way I can get it to scale to 1400x1050 as the montitor will stretch the image to fit screeen. (Monitor is a NEC 20wgx2).

I am not sure if I am imagining it or does the GPU scaling add a small amount of input lag?

Can anyone conclusively tell me the answer. I know theoretically that "another process would cause more lag etc." but does it actually cause any input lag in real usage or is it such a simple job for the GPU that it makes no difference?

Last edited:
Soldato
I know for a fact that it was an issue with Nvidia drivers for a long time since disabling scaling improved responsiveness. I don't know about AMD but it was mostly driver related at that time.

You would need to do frame time analysis if you want real numbers. Or, you could just test it yourself with scaling on and off. If it feels different then choose the mode that feels better to you.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok thanks but I was just trying to confirm it if anyone knew because it is quite hard to tell exactly by testing it without being able to instantly switch between the two... I am pretty sure they are the same but then sometimes I think that it has more lag with the GPU scaling or I may be imagining it lol...

Permabanned
I know BenQ and Asus on their new 120hz and 144hz panels offer proper 4:3 scaling or something because a lot of professional and serious gamers prefer it for the likes of counter strike and quake.

Permabanned
Many monitors offer framing options, but the BenQ gaming range definitely does.

There was a difference though in the video I watched, something about most monitors don't do it properly, whereas the BenQ and Asus did. could have just been a marketing trick though to entice gamers into buying.

Associate
Can't speak for AMD/ATI as I havn't used them for a while.

On my nvidia setup 120hz@benq xl2420t I experience more input lag using gpu scaling rather than the monitor scaling. Same on my viewsonic I had as well.

Typical games I scale are: qw/cpma/ql and notice this sort of stuff immediately. You probably aren't imagining it :)

Soldato
OP
Hmmm because I cant play properly in 16:10 now I am used to 4:3 but I also despise input lag. Need a new monitor but don't have any money :(

I don't really understand why it would cause lag because I am only scaling it from 1680x1050 > 1400x1050 so it is still 1:1 pixels just with the sides cut off.....

Last edited:
Associate
I know the feeling, have the same with quake as i'm used to it since CRTs.

Do the Cat's not have the option to keep AR but scale using the display? This is what I use in the nvidia drivers but i've not used ati since 4xxx so not sure on the options available now.

Associate
ya my viewsonic didn't either but you could opt to keep AR and scale by display in nvidia drivers instead. Don't think this is a option available on cat's though so you're probably stuck with either a new card or monitor :/

Soldato
OP
I can scale with ATI drivers and keep the aspect ratio....

eg. 1400x1050 4:3 with black borders on left and right.... My point was that doing this through catalyst CP seems to cause input lag

Associate
Yes I understood and that's using gpu scaling you feel introduces the input lag.

I was explaining that nvidia also provides the AR lock option but allows the selection to scale on display NOT gpu thus solving the problem. I thought ati may have also offered this option now but after a quick look it seems not :(

Back
Top Bottom