• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

powercolour hd 7950 Display Port issue

Soldato
Anyone got a powercolour hd 7950 and having the same issue when using the display port in a multi monitor setup?

i've got 2 screens connected at the moment, One to the DVI and the other to the Display Port connection. The problem is that if I turn off my main screen i.e. the display port connected one the graphics card wants to switch the displays so that my 2nd screen now becomes the main screen and it moves the desktop to that screen.

Once I turn the main screen back on it shifts everything back again.

Anyone know a way to stop this ?

Associate
Speaking from experience, this is a DisplayPort problem and I wasn't able to find a solution to it.

I have a similar set up with a same generation graphics card (see sig) and I use multi-monitors as well. I have my TV hooked up via HDMI and originally I tried to hook up my Dell U2412M with DisplayPort.

At first everything was fine as I was using both monitors at the same time. Then I came to watch a movie on the telly only and once I turned the U2412 (DisplayPort monitor) off, after a few seconds, it would be unrecognised in Windows (with the same Windows sound like when you unplug a USB) and just given the title 'Generic PnP Monitor' in the Display Control Panel. The only way to get it to work was restart it was to turn the monitor off and whilst it was turning on again, click the software to change the screens back to the U2412M.

At first, I figured it was because I bought a cheap mDP to DP cable, so I invested in both a quality mDP to DP cable and also a mDP to DP adapter + DP to DP cable, all of which were DisplayPort 1.2 compatible. None of the above solutions managed to resolve the problem so I decided to return all of the cables and adapters I had bought (about £40 worth) and just use a DVI cable which has worked flawlessly.

I assume that your graphics card IO is: mDP-mDP-HDMI-DVI. If this is the case it may be best to use HDMI or get a HDMI to DVI adapter to hook up the monitor as the fault almost certainly lies with DisplayPort.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom