Cooking today with **** brah

Thug
Soldato
Seeing as I am leaving my flat today for pastures new, I decided to use up a few bits and bobs.

So I'm cooking a steak and ale pie. Will it turn out well? Probably not, my only real experience of cooking is sticking a pizza in the oven, but I'll give it a stab.

Unfortunately I have a practically non existent set of utensils (think of a saucepan with no handle with a spoon with a hole as a means of holding it steady), and I don't have all the ingredients but ah well!

YJVL1Wz.jpg

Okay, to get started, a quick overview of all the ingredients. The puff pastry is massively out of date, I freezed it a couple months ago, but I can't be arsed to buy new stuff. :o

mbedJwY.jpg

First off, chopped up the 2 carrots, 4 mushrooms couple sticks of celery and three cloves of garlic. Chopped up 3 red onions and cried like adele watching mcdonalds close.

I then realised I should preheat the oven, so stuck that on (Gas mark 5) and sat around with a Guinness (1 can down!).

KNHWaxE.jpg

I then gently heated some olive oil in a saucepan and tossed in the red onions. Kept the heat low and cooked away for 10 mins. After that I threw in the garlic, celery, mushrooms and carrots and gave a good stir.

LnpYcmE.jpg
After that I realised that I had bolloxed up and that I didn't have rosemary. So I threw in some dried italian mix (oregano, thyme etc), it will have to do. With that I threw in some salt and some pepper, along with the beef. There was far too much beef, but meh, meat is tasty.

By this point another can had been consumed for the sake of good Christian folk everwhere, or more honestly because it is very tasty.

4rqE4bG.jpg
Turned the heat to the top, the gas roared nicely, hitler would have been proud. I gave it a good stir for a couple of minutes.

PnHGotC.jpg

DWmEyJH.jpg
Then came the heartache, I had to pour a can of my Guinness in. :( Can went in with a cheeky pour of my own, so it filled to the top. I then stirred in a couple teaspoons of flour. Stirred it all and left it to simmer.

dmxyhJp.jpg

I then covered it with something that didn't fit very well and had a hole in the top :)/) and stuck in the oven where it will languish for an hour and half. (been in there 45 mins now).

Sat here waiting with some more Guinness, til the time is up, and I stir it, before leaving it for another hour and doing all the other aspects need to be done.

Soldato
They look ok size on my 15" laptop, I already resized them 70%.
Feel free to resize them and I will edit my post! :)

They look fine on my tablet too!

Images look fine on iPad. Maybe the people complaining are still using an 800x600 CRT :p

I think I'll make a pie tomorrow now, they're hard to beat.

Next time...

Don't add flour to liquid it goes lumpy, instead coat the beef in it or add it to the onions/sweated veg and cook it out for a minute before removing from pan.

You should have removed the veg from the pan before adding beef and cranked up the heat to sear the beef. Then added the veg back in.

How did it taste? How did you deal with the lumps?

If its not thick enough. Knock up a roux and add that.

Soldato
Use by date on the meat 7th March! I presume that has also been frozen?? Still not sure I would use meat that was frozen 3 months ago!

Soldato
Echo the browning comment. You also want to properly brown the hell out of it. I'd cover the meat in seasoned flour and then brown it. The more brown you can get it, the more depth of flavour you'll get from your pie/ gravy!

Associate
Lack of response leads me to believe either OP is ill in bed after eating out of date meat and pastry or in bed hung over from drinking 20 cans of a popular stout based beverage :D

Looks good m8, making me wana have pie for dinner.......must resist

Back
Top Bottom