• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X with Hawaii GPU pictured, has 512-bit 4GB Memory

Soldato
Mantle does sound awesome, but then Nvidia and AMD are going to try and 'sell' their proprietary software to the consumer.

Sounds great in theory but in reality may not be as great as it sounds.

I personally think in terms of getting more out of hardware, SteamOS will shine, remove the Windows hit altogether and run streamlined OS for gaming. Code direct to the metal. Either way, PC gaming is only going to get bigger from this point onwards.

Man of Honour
Look what i found. :D

dmEkuRD.jpg.png

I think that graph looks very dodgy if all those were done on the same PC.

The overall score for the "blank" of 8623 is far too low for a graphics score of 10232. For it to be correct the overall scores for the Titan and the "blank" would need to be within about 150 points of each other.

Soldato
Mantle does sound awesome, but then Nvidia and AMD are going to try and 'sell' their proprietary software to the consumer.

Sounds great in theory but in reality may not be as great as it sounds.

I personally think in terms of getting more out of hardware, SteamOS will shine, remove the Windows hit altogether and run streamlined OS for gaming. Code direct to the metal. Either way, PC gaming is only going to get bigger from this point onwards.

Nvidia can use Mantle it seems.

Soldato
I think that graph looks very dodgy if all those were done on the same PC.

The overall score for the "blank" of 8623 is far too low for a graphics score of 10232. For it to be correct the overall scores for the Titan and the "blank" would need to be within about 150 points of each other.

Not only that those graphics scores look low for the titan and 780 :confused:

Associate
Just wondering what you class as ridiculous? I used to spend no more than £300 on a GPU but now I consider more than 500 in that bracket. Guess it is subjective. NOt willy waving either, genuine query.

Anything over £500 id say is too much, and over the 800-900 mark ridiculous. I think the current AMD pricing and the nvidia prices (600 series) is spot on, the 700 series feels way to overprced to me. We will have to wait and see what the UK launch prices are going to be for AMD before i can comment on them.

The most i have spent on a card in the last few years is £260, but id pay around £400 for a card if i felt the need. atm im gaming on a 1080p 60hz screen so theres no need to spend that amount, but when i get a 120hz screen id be looking at buying a high end card.

Soldato
Anything over £500 id say is too much, and over the 800-900 mark ridiculous. I think the current AMD pricing and the nvidia prices (600 series) is spot on, the 700 series feels way to overprced to me. We will have to wait and see what the UK launch prices are going to be for AMD before i can comment on them.

The most i have spent on a card in the last few years is £260, but id pay around £400 for a card if i felt the need. atm im gaming on a 1080p 60hz screen so theres no need to spend that amount, but when i get a 120hz screen id be looking at buying a high end card.

Fair enough and sound reasoning. It's only because I have gone to 1440p gaming that I required a beefier card. Otherwise I'd be doing the same as you.

OcUK Staff
Some sites are claiming their will be 6GB 290X variants, anybody know how this is possible with 512bit bus?

Would need complete PCB revision but is possible by board partners. Not probable though!!

Yes I am doing air also Rossi (Oh dear!!!!) But for fun factor I will be doing CPU at 6ghz!!! Just to remove the bottleneck ;)

Kapp those Firestrike slides are not correct.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom