GIGABYTE Z87 UD5H: USB 3 3.5 inch External Hard Drives disconnect/reconnect/disconnect on Windows 8

• Thread starter Thread starter jb7
  • Start date Start date

jb7

jb7

Associate
This only happens with USB3 3.5 inch external hard drives. Not USB3 2.5 inch drives, or USB3 flash sticks

They will keep disconnecting/reconnecting. I have tried the 3.5 inch hard drives on my macbook, and they work fine. I also tried an (ivy bridge) windows 8 laptop, works fine.

Any ideas? I have updated to all the drivers on the gigabyte website

Sounds very similar to this issue, but none of the fixes worked for me http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/53641-ga-z87-ud5h-usb3-0-onboard-header-issues.html

It's highly frustrating have 10 USB 3 ports and none of them work :mad: (with 3.5 inch hard drives..)

I have also disabled usb 3 power management in power options

Please help!

Thanks!

Hi, jb7, it sounds like you're having the same problem as I did with my UD5H:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24988132

I asked the same question on three different forums with no success. Gigabyte Tech Support wanted me to send them my external enclosure so they could do some testing, but what I did was to exchange my original UD5H for a replacement. Did so, and had the exact same problem, and to make it worse, the replacement board wouldn't play nice with my RAM either! Have since returned for a refund, and am now pondering what board to get.....

Hi, jb7, it sounds like you're having the same problem as I did with my UD5H:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24988132

I asked the same question on three different forums with no success. Gigabyte Tech Support wanted me to send them my external enclosure so they could do some testing, but what I did was to exchange my original UD5H for a replacement. Did so, and had the exact same problem, and to make it worse, the replacement board wouldn't play nice with my RAM either! Have since returned for a refund, and am now pondering what board to get.....

Thanks for your reply. That is bizarre! There is definitely an issue with these Z87 UD5H motherboards then. I raised a ticket with Gigabyte and they suggested to update the bios, but I see you already tried that new bios and still had the issue

It sounds like it could be some sort of haswell power saving feature. I'm surprised more people haven't raised this as a problem!

Thanks for your reply. That is bizarre! There is definitely an issue with these Z87 UD5H motherboards then. I raised a ticket with Gigabyte and they suggested to update the bios, but I see you already tried that new bios and still had the issue

It sounds like it could be some sort of haswell power saving feature. I'm surprised more people haven't raised this as a problem!

What USB 3.0 hard drives do you use? Mine is a RAID enclosure, so I didn't know whether my problem was specific to those enclosures.

What USB 3.0 hard drives do you use? Mine is a RAID enclosure, so I didn't know whether my problem was specific to those enclosures.

I've tried a silverstone DS322B and a Hornettek Enterprise 4X... get disconnections on both

A few days ago I got a disconnection my Samsung M3 1TB 2.5 inch usb3 hard drive... which is worrying

I've tried a silverstone DS322B and a Hornettek Enterprise 4X... get disconnections on both

A few days ago I got a disconnection my Samsung M3 1TB 2.5 inch usb3 hard drive... which is worrying

It's interesting that this problem affects so many USB 3 peripherals. Good luck getting your problem sorted jb7, I've ordered an ASUS Z87 Deluxe, and once I've rebuilt my PC for the third time, I'll report back how the USB acts on that ;)

Last edited:
It's interesting that this problem affects so many USB 3 peripherals. Good luck getting your problem sorted jb7, I've ordered an ASUS Z87 Deluxe, and once I've rebuilt my PC for the third time, I'll report back how the USB acts on that ;)

I also bought an Asus Z87 Deluxe, and I'm having the exact same issue! Did you?

Is is something to do with the fact that I'm using 9 out of 10 of my sata ports?

I also bought an Asus Z87 Deluxe, and I'm having the exact same issue! Did you?

Is is something to do with the fact that I'm using 9 out of 10 of my sata ports?

Yep, same problem. I purchased a Renesas-based USB 3.0 PCIe card, installed the latest Renesas driver, and that solved the problem. All my hard drives behave normally when connected to this. As far as I can tell, the problem lies with the Intel eXtensible Host Controller. ;)

Yep, same problem. I purchased a Renesas-based USB 3.0 PCIe card, installed the latest Renesas driver, and that solved the problem. All my hard drives behave normally when connected to this. As far as I can tell, the problem lies with the Intel eXtensible Host Controller. ;)

Cheers for the quick reply as always

Out of curiosity, how many of your sata ports are you using? I'm using 9, could that be linked to the issue? I'm surprised this isn't more common

Saw that trick a little while ago, but just seemed to be too much faffing around. £10 PCIe card off fleebay has solved the problem for me, to an extent anyway. Been very busy at work recently, so haven't been keeping an eye on this issue or trying to resolve it. Let's just say, it's on my "to do" list.......

Back
Top Bottom