• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

No voltage control MSI 280X

Hi,

I have a few MSI 280x gaming cards which I use for mining. As I have bought them at different times I have ended up with two different types of cards (differences in vrm cooling and some visable pcb differences on the rear (I have not lifted off the front cooling due not wanting to void the warrenty))

My early cards were fully unlocked and afterburner could configure the cards to any voltage I fancied, these cards had the model number: 912-V277-053R (this can be found on a sticker on the box, possibly on the card too?)

My later cards were fully, locked down and had the model number: 912-V277-058.

When I realised afterburner wasnt going to play ball on these cards I got down and dirty doing some bios flashing with VBE7 modified bios's. Sadly this did not solve the problem, the bios would flash onto the card but as soon as I put load onto it either with furmark or mining software the screen would either go black or grey and I had to reset the PC.

According to the VBE7 software both cards used the same voltage regulator chip, so I gambled that a bios from either card model would probably work on the other, so my I flashed the bios from my unlocked 053R batch cards onto a 058 model AND afterburner was still locked :mad:

My final attempt was to take a 053R bios, modifiy it with VBE7 and then flash it. It worked :) So there is a solution, but you have to be a bit handy with some dos prompt flashing via techpowerups "atiflash" and there is a risk of bricking your card.

So best of luck, hope this long winded post helps - and I take no responsibility if you do brick anything!

Daniel

Sadly I never got the slider active in afterburner, but for my application I can set my cards at their lowest stable voltage manually by flashing and leave them be.

I had some powercolor cards and you are correct they were fully unlocked, but the cooler design was terrible, even undervolted the fans were running at 100% and the cards were overheating, considering the room they were in was around 16degC I felt it was unacceptable and had to RMA them - luckily overclockers had the MSI cards back in stock by the time my refund was processed so I was able to get these instead :)

Back
Top Bottom