• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Display Port issue with R9 290x QuadFire / TriFire / CrossFire (NEED SERIOUS HELP AND / OR SUPPORT)

Associate
My issue is, I can install the Catalyst Display Drivers and be able to run my desktop in eyefinity with both DVIs output of the first card used and also the display port output. But as soon as I try to run a game in 3d mode with Eyefinity or even with a single monitor plugged via the display port, the monitors start to flicker until I unplug the display port monitor it becomes fine.

Eyefinity triple DVI monitors in 1440p (CrossOvers 27Q Led-P
-Left: Plugged via Display Port to DVI adpater USB powered (active)
-Center: DVi to DVI
-Right: DVI to DVI

I have been trying to find it for almost 2 months now and I am lost.... completly.

I can run:
-QuadFire R9 290x on 1440p Panels via DVI
-QuadFire R9 290x in eyefinity with only the two DVIs outputs.
-Or each card individually in eyefinity 3 x 1440p (2 x DVI and 1 x display Port)

BUT
I cannot run CrossFire / Trifire or QuadFire in eyefinity, or I can't even with single monitor on the display port output but its fine with the DVI outputs :confused:

Conclusion: Display Port output + CrossFire : Doesn't work in 3d Mode (Games).

I really don't know why, I have tried all of the drivers.

I am using that dongle on the Display Port monitor
http://www.accellcables.com/B087B-002B.html
260311.jpg

I know its not the dongle (adapter) because I have tried two, I have tried them on each monitor and also Eyefinity works on single card. But when I try to run a game using eyefinity or a single monitor vis the display Port output of the card, the monitors start flickering like if the display port is loosing signal. Also I have been using those dongles on the same setup but with 3 x HD 6970 or same setup but with 4 x HD 7970.

I'm really tired of testing everything and trying everything I have in mind.

I have tried
-Windows 7
-Windows 8.1
-Tried different SSD
-Tried all the Rampage IV BIOS from 4406 to 4802
-Tried two different BIOSes for my cards
-Tried all different versions on my motherboard drivers (such as Intel Chipset, RST MEI...)
-Tried Catalyst 13.11 beta 6 , 7, 8, 9.2, 9.4, 9.5
Catalyst 13.11 WHLQ, 13.12 WHQL and also tried Catalyst Beta 13.30

Keep in mind that everything was fine with the same system with the same panels with the same adapters but with 3 x HD 6970 or 4 x HD 7970.

Everything is plugged like it should.
P1010858_zpseb81cc02.jpg

P1010857_zps221c3928.jpg

Thanks

Soldato
I've got crossfired 290's running 3 screens in Eyefinity and it definitely works, so hopefully it's not an insurmountable problem you've got. I've previously run my 3 screens for games using DVI, DVI and miniDP-DVI adapter (Sapphire 44000-03-40G) - but this is a single link adapter so won't work with your 1440p screens. :(

I'm currently running the 3 for games from the DVI, DVI and HDMI ports on the 290, with the miniDP-DVI adapter running the fourth screen that I use for monitoring, email, etc. Have you tried running your third screen from the HDMI port (either using an HDMI-DVI cable or an adapter) and bypassing any Displayport issues completely?

I am sure you've already tried this, but I can't see it listed - have you tried swapping the primary card to one of your others, just in case it's a DP fault with that particular card? Like I said, sure you've already tried this but work an ask.

Associate
My issue is, I can install the Catalyst Display Drivers and be able to run my desktop in eyefinity with both DVIs output of the first card used and also the display port output. But as soon as I try to run a game in 3d mode with Eyefinity or even with a single monitor plugged via the display port, the monitors start to flicker until I unplug the display port monitor it becomes fine.

Eyefinity triple DVI monitors in 1440p (CrossOvers 27Q Led-P
-Left: Plugged via Display Port to DVI adpater USB powered (active)
-Center: DVi to DVI
-Right: DVI to DVI

I have been trying to find it for almost 2 months now and I am lost.... completly.

I can run:
-QuadFire R9 290x on 1440p Panels via DVI
-QuadFire R9 290x in eyefinity with only the two DVIs outputs.
-Or each card individually in eyefinity 3 x 1440p (2 x DVI and 1 x display Port)

BUT
I cannot run CrossFire / Trifire or QuadFire in eyefinity, or I can't even with single monitor on the display port output but its fine with the DVI outputs :confused:

Conclusion: Display Port output + CrossFire : Doesn't work in 3d Mode (Games).

I really don't know why, I have tried all of the drivers.

I am using that dongle on the Display Port monitor
http://www.accellcables.com/B087B-002B.html
260311.jpg

I know its not the dongle (adapter) because I have tried two, I have tried them on each monitor and also Eyefinity works on single card. But when I try to run a game using eyefinity or a single monitor vis the display Port output of the card, the monitors start flickering like if the display port is loosing signal. Also I have been using those dongles on the same setup but with 3 x HD 6970 or same setup but with 4 x HD 7970.

I'm really tired of testing everything and trying everything I have in mind.

I have tried
-Windows 7
-Windows 8.1
-Tried different SSD
-Tried all the Rampage IV BIOS from 4406 to 4802
-Tried two different BIOSes for my cards
-Tried all different versions on my motherboard drivers (such as Intel Chipset, RST MEI...)
-Tried Catalyst 13.11 beta 6 , 7, 8, 9.2, 9.4, 9.5
Catalyst 13.11 WHLQ, 13.12 WHQL and also tried Catalyst Beta 13.30

Keep in mind that everything was fine with the same system with the same panels with the same adapters but with 3 x HD 6970 or 4 x HD 7970.

Everything is plugged like it should.
P1010858_zpseb81cc02.jpg

P1010857_zps221c3928.jpg

Thanks

Hello KaRlitos (everyone),

I just wanted to let you know I've forwarded your post to my team already. If you don't mind, could you please provide your systems specs (i.e. motherboard, memory, CPU, PSU...). We're going to try to reproduce the issue. It may take us a few days but I will make sure to keep you updated.

Also, could you please submit a help request with our Global Technical Support team? Here is the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact (If you scroll down the page a little, you'll find the contact information for our UK office, you'll find the phone number there as well as the link to the email form: http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/)

By doing so, we'll be covering both ends ;)

Soldato
I have noticed when using those adaptors with my 120Hz monitors that they can be a bit fickle about the power supplied. Plugging them into a motherboard USB header doesn't seem to work. A powered USB hub tends to work better in my experience, but is still not ideal.
On my 120Hz monitors it either results in not being able to select more than 60Hz or the horizontal axis gets squished.

Not sure if this is actually any help?

Associate
I have noticed when using those adaptors with my 120Hz monitors that they can be a bit fickle about the power supplied. Plugging them into a motherboard USB header doesn't seem to work. A powered USB hub tends to work better in my experience, but is still not ideal.
On my 120Hz monitors it either results in not being able to select more than 60Hz or the horizontal axis gets squished.

I will make sure to include your post as well. Thank you!

Associate
OP
I've got crossfired 290's running 3 screens in Eyefinity and it definitely works, so hopefully it's not an insurmountable problem you've got. I've previously run my 3 screens for games using DVI, DVI and miniDP-DVI adapter (Sapphire 44000-03-40G) - but this is a single link adapter so won't work with your 1440p screens. :(

I'm currently running the 3 for games from the DVI, DVI and HDMI ports on the 290, with the miniDP-DVI adapter running the fourth screen that I use for monitoring, email, etc. Have you tried running your third screen from the HDMI port (either using an HDMI-DVI cable or an adapter) and bypassing any Displayport issues completely?

I am sure you've already tried this, but I can't see it listed - have you tried swapping the primary card to one of your others, just in case it's a DP fault with that particular card? Like I said, sure you've already tried this but work an ask.

Actually, you are running Eyefinity via HDMI and DVI with CrossFire. My issue is with the display port. I can't even run my games in single monitor when I use the display port to DVI accell USB powered adapter when I'm crossfired. (And its on the Eyefinity Hardware Compatibility list. Also, I can run both DVIs all day if I want and/or both of them in eyefinity.

Also, if I want to run Eyefinity using on a single R9 290x, it will be okay. But as soon as I try whether crossFire-Trifire-or QuadFire, the display port seem to loose signal when launching 3d application.

Yes I have tried to use other cards as main card. ;)

Hello KaRlitos (everyone),

I just wanted to let you know I've forwarded your post to my team already. If you don't mind, could you please provide your systems specs (i.e. motherboard, memory, CPU, PSU...). We're going to try to reproduce the issue. It may take us a few days but I will make sure to keep you updated.

Also, could you please submit a help request with our Global Technical Support team? Here is the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact (If you scroll down the page a little, you'll find the contact information for our UK office, you'll find the phone number there as well as the link to the email form: http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/)

By doing so, we'll be covering both ends ;)

Thanks my friend, I will do everything you ask and I'm ready to cooperate in any way and test everything you want me to test.

I'm here to help you help me.

CPU: Intel i7 4930k (also tried a i7 3930k)
Motherbaord: Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Tried BIOS from 4406 to 4802)
Memory: Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz (9-11-10-27-2T) 1.5v
SSD: Crucial M4 and Adata SX900
Video Cards: (4) Quad R9 290x (Sapphire BF4 Edition)
Power Supplies: Lepa G 1600 and EVGA SuperNova G1000
Catalyst Driver: 13.11 beta:6 - 7 - 8 - 9.2 - 9.4 - 9.5 ; 13.11 WHQL ; 13.12 WHQL ; 13.30 Beta

Cooling System: Everything is watercooled and kept in perfect temperatures.

Monitors: CrossOver 27Q Led-P
Adapter: Accell UltraAV® DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter ; SKU: B087B-002B

Try a 2a usb mains plug to power the biz link adapter.
I had this issue with running 3 screens back when I had 6990's

Already tested that. Thanks

Soldato
Now that's customer service :)

This has been an issue since before 12.11, I was using a startech adapter to get 120hz from mdp on a 7970 lightning, some days the display wouldn't be recognised, others I'd get random displayport errors from catalyst.

In the end I gave up and used a pixel clock patch and cru to force 120hz over single link.

Associate
OP
Now that's customer service :)

Its hard to find customer service when it comes to graphics cards driver issue. I think the companies should be closer to the customers to listen to their issues, especially after dropping around 2500$ only in graphic cards (Quad).

I just hope that AMD won't take 4 months to fix this issue. Last year we (me and a small group) had to make pressure on AMD for 4 months until they find the solution to our issue.
(•Resolves a sporadic system hang encountered with a single AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPU seen on X58 and X79 chipsets.
•Resolves an intermittent hang encountered with AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series GPUs in a CrossFire Eyefinity setup.)

Check here about my previous issue with QuadFire HD 7970.
- http://www.overclock.net/t/1295809/...2-x-crash-hang-freeze-galore-what-to-do-fixed
- http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-to-Trifire-Eyefinity-issue-on-the-Rampage-IV

I just hope the history won't repeat itself, I have bought those cards on release day, took me everything to be able to put my hands on 4 of them and find the waterblocks, I'm still not able to play like I want to (like it was advertise) even after 3 months.

You can't imagine how annoying this is and especially frustrating.

Associate
Actually, you are running Eyefinity via HDMI and DVI with CrossFire. My issue is with the display port. I can't even run my games in single monitor when I use the display port to DVI accell USB powered adapter when I'm crossfired. (And its on the Eyefinity Hardware Compatibility list. Also, I can run both DVIs all day if I want and/or both of them in eyefinity.

Also, if I want to run Eyefinity using on a single R9 290x, it will be okay. But as soon as I try whether crossFire-Trifire-or QuadFire, the display port seem to loose signal when launching 3d application.

Yes I have tried to use other cards as main card. ;)

Thanks my friend, I will do everything you ask and I'm ready to cooperate in any way and test everything you want me to test.

I'm here to help you help me.

CPU: Intel i7 4930k (also tried a i7 3930k)
Motherbaord: Asus Rampage IV Extreme (Tried BIOS from 4406 to 4802)
Memory: Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz (9-11-10-27-2T) 1.5v
SSD: Crucial M4 and Adata SX900
Video Cards: (4) Quad R9 290x (Sapphire BF4 Edition)
Power Supplies: Lepa G 1600 and EVGA SuperNova G1000
Catalyst Driver: 13.11 beta:6 - 7 - 8 - 9.2 - 9.4 - 9.5 ; 13.11 WHQL ; 13.12 WHQL ; 13.30 Beta

Cooling System: Everything is watercooled and kept in perfect temperatures.

Monitors: CrossOver 27Q Led-P
Adapter: Accell UltraAV® DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter ; SKU: B087B-002B

Already tested that. Thanks

Got the specs, thank you...I'm going to send it to my team in a moment.

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot mate. I really want this issue to get fixed. I got reached by another user over at [H]ard Forum and he's having the same issue has me.

Soldato

I understand the issue you're having is with the Displayport, that was why I suggested it might be worth trying running your screens from the HDMI and DVI ports on your main card - so taking the Displayport out of the equation completely. Have you tried this at all (either by HDMI to DVI adapter, or an HDMI to DVI cable)? I know this won't solve your problem, but if you're only running 3 screens it might be worth as a workaround.

Hope you're able to get your system running how it should.

Associate
OP
I understand the issue you're having is with the Displayport, that was why I suggested it might be worth trying running your screens from the HDMI and DVI ports on your main card - so taking the Displayport out of the equation completely. Have you tried this at all (either by HDMI to DVI adapter, or an HDMI to DVI cable)? I know this won't solve your problem, but if you're only running 3 screens it might be worth as a workaround.

Hope you're able to get your system running how it should.

Yes I have thought of trying a HDMI to DVI adapter. But like you said, it won't solve my issue. Since the R9 290x has HDMI 1.4b, I am limited to 2560x1440 @ 30hz only.

I know the issue is with CrossFire + Display Port.

Like I said

What is working
-Each single card run eyefinity just fine.
-Each single card can run Display Port alone
-QuadFire works with Top DVI (of first card)
-QuadFire works with bottom DVI output (of first card)
-Eyefinity + QuadFire on two monitors outputed by the DVIs
-QuadFire with two extended monitor (Running 3D apps on a single monitor)

What is not working
-QuadFire + Eyefinity Triple monitors
-Trifire + Eyefinity
-CrossFire + Eyefinity
-QuadFire / Tri / CrossFire with Display Port output only
-Quad/Tri/Cross with extended monitors while using display port.

So basically, even if I play a game from a DVI monitor while I have an extended monitor on the Display Port. The monitors start to flicker and they get out of sync

Associate
OP
I just got an Email from an AMD engineer today.

Hi Karl,

Your issue is being investigated at the highest levels by our Engineers. They’re currently reproducing your issue. I should have more information for you early next week.

Regards

(Engineer name)

Thanks Warsam71

Back
Top Bottom