• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12

Soldato
I get the best of both worlds. You get DX11 until two years from now when the first DX12 games show up. I get to use Mantle which offers a much better gaming experience and i also get to use DX as well.

Don't you have crossfire 290's like me? what game is there currently out or even on the horizon that gives a "much better gaming experience" with Mantle on CF 290's? :confused:

Not trying to be a tool here, I know Mantle will improve the experience for people with midrange GPU's or weak CPU's, but for those of us with decent setups it's pretty mute. I.E I am looking forward to playing Star Citizen more on my SLI 780 rig more than my CF 290 rig because it will look better on the green rig due to PhysX, granted the game will be playable under Mantle on lower spec systems that wouldn't run it under DX, but still.

I fail to see how our AMD rigs are getting the better deal here. The way I see it my CF 290 rig gets two years of games being just as playable in DX as they are in Mantle, then it gets to play games in DX12. My SLI 780 rig gets two years of being able to play games fine in DX11 while looking better with PhysX (where applicable ofc), then it gets to play games in DX12 and again PhysX where available.

/shrug.

Associate
So we all remember the SemiAccurate article yes?

Well im starting to think that its actually true, behind closed doors. Dx12 is basically Mantle adoption, but with multi vendor support. Yet no one is officially saying this, why? I've tried to ask the issue to Johan Anderson, Robert Hallock from AMD and neither has confirmed it and the latter somewhat denied it. But then you see things like this and it makes you wonder. Sugarhell prompted me to ask after he saw this tweet.

McBERzM.jpg

9xdmM9q.jpg

Called it before Charlie's article *grins* but hey what do I know ;)

Caporegime
Are you being blind on purpose? Thracks (The guy who works for AMD) Was asked outright by Matt "Is DX12 Actually Mantle?" of which Thracks (The guy who works for AMD) replied "DX12 is Microsofts own creation"

How much clearer does it need to be?

Soldato
OP
Don't you have crossfire 290's like me? what game is there currently out or even on the horizon that gives a "much better gaming experience" with Mantle on CF 290's? :confused:

Not trying to be a tool here, I know Mantle will improve the experience for people with midrange GPU's or weak CPU's, but for those of us with decent setups it's pretty mute. I.E I am looking forward to playing Star Citizen more on my SLI 780 rig more than my CF 290 rig because it will look better on the green rig due to PhysX, granted the game will be playable under Mantle on lower spec systems that wouldn't run it under DX, but still.

I fail to see how our AMD rigs are getting the better deal here. The way I see it my CF 290 rig gets two years of games being just as playable in DX as they are in Mantle, then it gets to play games in DX12. My SLI 780 rig gets two years of being able to play games fine in DX11 while looking better with PhysX (where applicable ofc), then it gets to play games in DX12 and again PhysX where available.

/shrug.

Battlefield 4

Associate
They should and probably did work with MS but after AMD saying DX12 was not coming and thinking mantle was going to replace it I doubt they got same share of help/input as Nvidia this time around and they possibly did not want to help as they were putting all there eggs in one basket with mantle adoption.

As you say, the Xbone has AMD hardware in it so its in AMD interest to make sure DX12 is fine for it and PC GPU's for their cutomers instead of being petty with MS.

MS were never going to let mantle run on XBone as DX is their baby, and AFAIR reading Sony said no also.

Wrong and wrong;

As again will point out; MS doesn't care about PC they care about Xbox.

Xbox1's dev tools are utter crap; Devs are saying this; my friends in the business are saying this; we had someone say first hand here that's the truth. Their tools on Xbox1 are as bad as PS3's tools when they first came out. MS doens't have a couple years to fix those tools - they need them fixed now....

Who can fix those tools........not Nvidia; its AMD........and only AMD can; again I'll go over the reasons why. MS does NOT own the soc for Xbox1; AMD does.

Two; its GCN hardware; no one knows it better than AMD. This had gone on behind close doors; the deal is done; those slides are just saving face. When I can get ahold of both dev sdks; and they translate pretty much like PS4 translates to mantle.....just like DX 12 will translate to mantle. Will people then start to believe?

Part of the deal is; Mantle stays seperate. DX is its own thing; as this is business; they are not going to allow or come out to say otherwise.

We've seen the devs that had the most input say so......we'd like to welcome Intel and Nvidia to the mantle party.....but we won't call it that ;) Mantle isn't going anywhere.....

Don
Wrong and wrong;

Xbox1's dev tools are utter crap; Devs are saying this; my friends in the business are saying this; we had someone say first hand here that's the truth. Their tools on Xbox1 are as bad as PS3's tools when they first came out. MS doens't have a couple years to fix those tools - they need them fixed now....

Who can fix those tools........not Nvidia; its AMD........and only AMD can; again I'll go over the reasons why. MS does NOT own the soc for Xbox1; AMD does.

Two; its GCN hardware; no one knows it better than AMD. This had gone on behind close doors; the deal is done; those slides are just saving face. When I can get ahold of both dev sdks; and they translate pretty much like PS4 translates to mantle.....just like DX 12 will translate to mantle. Will people then start to believe?

Part of the deal is; Mantle stays seperate. DX is its own thing; as this is business; they are not going to allow or come out to say otherwise.

We've seen the devs that had the most input say so......we'd like to welcome Intel and Nvidia to the mantle party.....but we won't call it that ;) Mantle isn't going anywhere.....

What a load of rubbish. AMD have already said DX12 is Microsoft's own creation.

Associate
Are you being blind on purpose? Thracks (The guy who works for AMD) Was asked outright by Matt "Is DX12 Actually Mantle?" of which Thracks (The guy who works for AMD) replied "DX12 is Microsofts own creation"

How much clearer does it need to be?

*sighs* back room deals Greggy; they can't actually come out and say DX12 is mantle repackaged......

This is very much typical MS action; they will use other ideas straight into their programs and call it their own. How many times have MS been sued over this and lost; too many to count.

This is about saving XBox1; not PC gaming......comes straight back Xbox1 tools and just how bad they are......I don't need to paint a picture but I will if people need that.....:D

Caporegime

/shrug.

Quite simply, any demanding game will. Its fairly simple. We'll use BF4 as an example, as its a good one. In DX AMD and Nvidia share very similar frame times, no matter the gpu setup. Well Mantle is streets ahead of both. This shows itself not only as higher fps but considerably lower and most importantly tight and more consistent, frame times. Makes for a much improved gaming experience. I can notice the difference on one card, never mind whilst using two cards. Mantle gives a big improvement for crossfire users (big gains) because of the cpu limited nature of DX11. So its not just low end hardware that benefit. The biggest gains are to be had on multi gpu.

AMD are not necessarily getting a better deal, but i certainly get the best of both worlds as i get to use both API's where applicable. Once you've tried Mantle in BF4, there is simply no going back. Its different gravy. Its something you have to try and experience, before you can write it off. The same im sure can be said of Gsync. Infact, that was something Nvidia users were quick to enforce in the Gsync thread. Well, the same applies here.

Wrong and wrong;

Well said.

Associate
What a load of rubbish. AMD have already said DX12 is Microsoft's own creation.

my answer above......and

https://twitter.com/repi/status/446787503953944576

which as been posted. Blindness is unbecoming. What I've said about xbox1's dev tools is not rubbish its the truth. Who's got the tools to fix that? AMD this all comes back to fixing Xbox1......

Everyone wins :) people just can't admit they are wrong or see outside the box....

Associate
I give up. Crack on fella's and believe what you like.

I know you might not like it Greg but its the truth. What I've posted about way MS does things; what they've said in the past all truth. Again you don't like it but hey.

Perfect example of MS doing things. Dos 6.2 dblspace; code was lifted from Stacker........line for line......hell MS didn't even bother to change any of the programmer que tags in the coding.....they literally ripped it from Stacker's dblspace program and dropped it into Dos 6.2

Why dos 6.2.1 did not have dblspace.......and after MS bought Stacker for less money than they were fined; 6.2.2 dblspace suddenly came back.

This is pure typical MS behavior; closed door deal.

The codes will translate very well from DX 12 to mantle......just like PS4 code translate very well to mantle......;) Centergy baby

Like I said; this is really about fixing Xbox1....and now MS has their fix

Don
my answer above......and

https://twitter.com/repi/status/446787503953944576

which as been posted. Blindness is unbecoming. What I've said about xbox1's dev tools is not rubbish its the truth. Who's got the tools to fix that? AMD this all comes back to fixing Xbox1......

Everyone wins :) people just can't admit they are wrong or see outside the box....

And what about the tweet from AMD stating it is Microsoft's own creation?

Anyway I am out, this is crazy. Lets all agree it is for the good of us all :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
xbox one is why ms is doing dx12 mainly as its getting destroyed by ps4.

ms api isn't mantle. amd will hint at likeness but you will not get one to say its mantle. the end.

Caporegime
Ryan Shrout from pcper on DX12/Mantle @GDC.

Here at GDC, AMD told us they have expanded the number of beta Mantle members dramatically with plenty more applications (dozens) in waiting. Obviously this could put a lot of strain on AMD for Mantle support and maintenance but representatives assure us that the major work of building out documentation and development tools is nearly 100% behind them...

...If stories like this one over at Semiaccurate are true, and that Microsoft's DirectX 12 will be nearly identical to AMD Mantle, then it makes sense that developers serious about new gaming engines can get a leg up on projects by learning Mantle today. Applying that knowledge to the DX12 API upon its release could speed up development and improve implementation efficiency. From what I am hearing from the few developers willing to even mention DX12, Mantle is much further along in its release (late beta) than DX12 is (early alpha).

AMD indeed was talking with and sharing the development of Mantle with Microsoft "every step of the way" and AMD has stated on several occasions that there were two outcomes with Mantle; it either becomes or inspires a new industry standard in game development. Even if DX12 is more or less a carbon copy of Mantle, forcing NVIDIA to implement that API style with DX12's release, AMD could potentially have the advantage of gaming performance and support between now and Microsoft's DirectX release. That could be as much as a full calendar year from reports we are getting at GDC.

Source
http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/GDC-14-CRYENGINE-Support-Mantle-AMD-Gets-Another-Endorsement

Caporegime
so basically amd have covered both sides of what can happen.

reality wise dx12 will be the leader. ms is a giant amd is a fly. they maybe did inspire a change but they wont lead the way . that will be ms and dx12 job now.

Soldato
If if if if if,

That's all these articles state. There's no fact, just hyperbole.

Until I seem a demo of it side by side against mantle and DX11 on a very well known game, this is all utter garbage.

Back
Top Bottom