Asus RP-N14 Wireless Range Extender Review

Caporegime
Once again, thanks to ASUS for providing me with this sample to review! :)

This is very similar to the last wireless range extender that I received, the ASUS RP-N53. The extender that I am about to review is more budget orientated and ASUS have achieved this by removing 5GHz support.

Packaging:

Pccd2UZl.jpg ZgnNmKml.jpg

And this is everything you get inside the box.

Nr9ZPuFl.jpg

Features:

• 2 x on-board PCB antenna
  • 3.5mm Audio Jack
  • Wireless media playback with ASUS AiPlayer app
  • One-press setup and worry-free connectivity via WPS button
  • Back light
  • Internet radio
  • Hands-on control for music and lighting

For more information on this wireless range extender, vist here.

Installation:

Just like the installation process for the ASUS NP-N53, this is exactly the same, straight forward and simple. At first everything was very slow to the point I thought the control panel had stopped responding but after cancelling everything and waiting for a few minutes and attempting the setup process again, applying settings etc. happened very quickly, much quicker than when setting up the ASUS RP-N53 back in December.

There are two ways to install this range extender;

Option 1:

EOL72Dkl.png.jpg

Option 2:

5YwAJZol.png.jpg

Build Quality & Aesthetics:

This is exactly the same as the ASUS RP-N53, minimal, light and very compact.

nyczjIxl.jpg

Measures in at 4.5 x 3.1 x 8.5 cm (WxDxH)

The front of the device has a cross diagonal checkered textured gloss finish.

At the bottom of the device, you have a blue LED strip, this is the signal strength and power indicator, the more lit up indicators there are, the stronger the signal is.

lxsVXhtl.jpg

Above the blue LED strip, there is a touch sensitive panel, which can be used to turn the;

• back light on/off
  • 2.4GHz light on/off
  • system light on/off
  • audio mute/unmute

You will find all the above options in the control panel.

On the right hand side there is a 10/100 Ethernet port and a 3.5mm audio jack.

wIG70iil.jpg

On the left hand side there is a reset button, on/off switch and the WPS button.

e7LsNKJl.jpg

On the lower back side, we have a small frosted piece of plastic which is the back light. The light is very subtle. My opinion about this "feature" is still the same, a pointless addition.

HnEOcWTl.jpg

PcEeVbJ.gif

Software:

In order to access the control panel, you have to type this URL http://repeater.asus.com/ in your browser.

As usual with ASUS networking products, the UI is very nicely laid out and overall is easy to navigate around and use.

ln4OZGbl.png.jpg

TnOcrO2l.png.jpg

snCAJDFl.png.jpg

wxjg4szl.png.jpg

eza3jxYl.png.jpg

2DB0VYMl.png.jpg

u4AWNNel.png.jpg

Performance:

I am running the latest firmware from here

My connection line is 60MB/s download and 3MB/s upload.

Once again bear in mind that I am using Virgin's terrible superhub V1 so wireless performance isn't the best, at least according to speedtest.net

This time I have used 3 devices to carry out speed and signal strength tests, my PC, HTC one S and Nexus 7 2013. I ran each test 3 times to ensure that the results weren't fluctuating thus a fair test.

PC before:

6NwLgi4.png

NpV4Rmd.png

lFK0RmA.png

PC after (using the repeater):

2xUYAsM.png

pWIfyLB.png

dr36lUB.png

Mobile before:

GjQVB09l.png.jpg ntuW6oXl.png.jpg

Mobile after (using the repeater):

IrtqFG1l.png.jpg kVUiGuJl.png.jpg

Tablet before:

EjzIQpOl.png.jpg 2YPhosBl.png.jpg

Tablet after (using the repeater):

n31A1Nll.png.jpg qPOdRBZl.png.jpg

Similar results to the ASUS RP-N53 model, signal strength increased significantly with download speed increase on my mobile and tablet.

As for the PC download speed decrease, the same happened with the RP-N53 model, I imagine that this down to my internet setup and not the extender since other reviewers didn't have speed decreases with the RP-N53 (no other reviews are out for the RP-N14 yet)

As for stability, so far it seems to be very good, no drop outs yet....streaming, downloading, browsing and gaming is working fine.

I have noticed that this extender doesn't seem to get as hot to touch as the ASUS RP-N53.

And on to a unique feature, the wireless media playback function. I don't have any speakers with a 3.5mm connection so was only able to give this a try via earphones, it works well but again, I still don't see the point of having this feature, been using the ASUS RP-N53 since December and not once have I ever felt the need to use this feature, I would much prefer ASUS to exclude this feature in order to make the extender even cheaper, smaller or/and include something else to improve signal strength even further.

Below is a video demonstration from ASUS:

Unfortunately the android app still has the same dreadful UI and lack of features/options.

UOZVTPpl.png.jpg NADNzbNl.png.jpg

The app is available on the Apple store as well.

Conclusion:

Essentially we have the exact same device as the ASUS RP-N53 except with the RP-N14, we don't get 5GHz support, however, it is a decent bit cheaper coming in at £35 as opposed to the price tag of £55 (back in December, this was around £70).

Pros:

• Very compact and nicely designed
  • Simple installation procedure
  • 3 year warranty
  • Extends wireless range significantly

Cons:

• Android app still has a poor UI and lack of features

Permabanned
Can you get me a discount? I need one of these as I have thick walls and my printer in my office is wifi enabled but keeps dropping out due to 1 bar signal.

Back
Top Bottom