• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-4790K - AIR OC with FlanK3r

Associate
So, Devils Canyon finaly in my hands. I will tetsing now only AIR cooling OC and few benchmarks, so stay tunde. After weekend we will see.

With M7H, Gelid Tranquillo and 4000 rpm fan Delta at it.
maximus2.jpg

first stock (without multicore edhanced settings) settings and what the cooler at 4000 rpm :)

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTw6UJxsyBw

BIOS settings
stable for benchmark, but not for OCCT/LINX...

antisurge
bios7

Extreme Tweaker settings (voltages, turbo, multipliers etc)
bios1
bios2
bios3
bios4

Tweakers paradise+digi power control settings
bios5
bios6

First few benchmarks after OC
i7-4790K@4732MHz 4430cache Cinebench R11.5=10.36b

wprime at 4732 MHz
i7-4790K@4732MHz 4430cache wprime1024M=156,344s

Any tips for higher clocks, example from 8Pack will be welcome :) (I cant get 4800 MHz Cinebench :(, higher voltages, laborate with VCCIN, VLX, nothing helped me....)

Last edited:
Associate
So 4.7 GHz at 1.39v? with max temps on the hottest core of near 90C?

Not brilliant to say the least but ordinarily the 4770k would probably explode at that sort of voltage with an air cooler. Still, not bad for those building new now.

Caporegime
Will you be able to test what the highest overclock on stock voltage is? what sort of voltage is needed for 4.5ghz, 4.6ghz etc? (Prime stable that is?)

Soldato
Id like to know what happens when you hit them with water. watercooling was mostly poor on 3/4770ks due to poor paste, so does better cooling give better results?

Associate
Does the chip state that it is an engineering sample (ES) chip, or is it retail/OEM?

Most reviews so far have been based on ES chips, so it's hard to gauge what retail performance might be like as they may make small manufacturing adjustments based on feedback from the ES chips which have been around for a number of weeks now.

Soldato
Does the chip state that it is an engineering sample (ES) chip, or is it retail/OEM?

Most reviews so far have been based on ES chips, so it's hard to gauge what retail performance might be like as they may make small manufacturing adjustments based on feedback from the ES chips which have been around for a number of weeks now.

The screenshot in his opening post shows ES in the CPUZ.

Also, they won't make any changes to retail chips compared to the ES ones. Literally, they have simply been mass producing them in order to have stock to ship out.

Permabanned
Retail chips can be better, seen it before where ES were not Golden like they normally are a few tick/tocks ago.

Also what Cooler is OP using?

Soldato
Retail chips can be better, seen it before where ES were not Golden like they normally are a few tick/tocks ago.

Also what Cooler is OP using?

I presume this one

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=19960534

Again though it appears to be voltage limiting these CPUs and not heat.

With everyone saying max voltage for 24/7 is around 1.35v whether the CPU runs at 90 degrees or 70 degrees it doesn't really matter. It's still the case of trying to find a golden chip which for us mere mortals is going to be purely luck

Last edited:
Associate
Will you be able to test what the highest overclock on stock voltage is? what sort of voltage is needed for 4.5ghz, 4.6ghz etc? (Prime stable that is?)
^ Would be very interested to know what we can expect from stock volts. Also what kind of temps do you achieve with something less crazy than a Delta fan on the cooler? :p

Caporegime
Stock volts no one cares. Who uses stock when overclocking.

Plenty of people will use the stock heatsink and/or won't want to reduce the CPU lifespan by overvolting it.

It gives a better idea of what CPU is capable of to the ordinary user anyway, when someone says they do 5.3ghz on 1.5V with liquid nitrogen without any stability testing, it's meaningless to 99% of people who are going to buy it and verging on false advertising.

Back
Top Bottom