• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Caporegime
They're probably just low leakage dies that Intel have been saving ever since Haswell was released, even if the thermal compound is the same they appear to run much cooler and run guaranteed stable at 4.4ghz with less voltage than a lot of 4770K's that are floating about.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
None of the 4790K's have been clocking well. No offence, but 4.8Ghz Wprime or cinebench doesnt mean much, running prime95 is a different story. Also the most people are seeing is a measly 400mhz over stock clock boost...

Imagine if the 4770k's max overclocks we see were like 4.3Ghz.

Not prime 95 again!! Prime 95 who cares!!!

Associate
You plan on just running P95 on your computer? That's all running P95 proves, is your computer is stable....running P95.

I dunno, in the past ive tried just running stuff like IBT and its passed, but then failed in prime95. And when ive tried to use my pc without running prime it fails and gets bsod. But once I run prime95 afterwards my pc seems fine, never get any bsod.

Each to their own I guess :)

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
would like to see how one performs once delidded

I will delid for your curiosity, if you buy me a new one if it screws up :)
The rewards from a delid are great but there is much sadness if it goes wrong

TIM is the same we delidded some in Taiwan. The major change is in the power delivery which for me has made no difference to overclocking. Infact my 4770K are better. Maybe average is higher on 4790K but I dont do average.

The TIM being the same is worrying.
From what I have seen so far it appears the temps are not much better at all.
Was hoping to avoid having to delid this time round.

Could it be the ES and the first batch OCUK are selling are old chips assembled before the new TIM was in production. ?
Seems not many places have stock yet, did OCUK do some deal to buy up the old chips so they could be first to market ?

Tomorrow my DC should arrive and I will be a bit miffed if 30mins later I am taking a deep breath and pondering delidding it.

8pack I can understand now why you aren't excited at all by DC

Last edited:

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
that is voltage in not vcore.
the voltage from the MB VRM to the onboard VRM's of the CPU.

update CPUz and HW monitor.

Associate
Cpu not bad, stock voltage 1.180v max temp on custom water 1080mm radiator 54c thats a 20 min prime 95 run i wont be using that again lol "8pack grills me" it was just a run for those who asked.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Like mentioned, good temps. But not good clockers so far, ive yet to install mine. My current 4770k is not to bad, 1.296v at load, but too hot. If my dc is no good ill keep the current one, sell the dc and just buy another gtx 780.

Back
Top Bottom