Which do you prefer: PC gaming or Console gaming?

Soldato
I go in cycles with it.

Until the 360 came out I preferred pc for everything other than sports games.

My last build was nearly 10 yrs ago and was for FS9. I spent so much time tweaking and chasing fps in that and other games that I lost interest in it apart from dawn of war.

When the 360 came out I switched as I was more interested in splitscreen coop shooters like rainbow six Vegas (graphics finally bearable on a HDTV) and just wanted to know I could stick a disc in and expect it to work.

Now BMS falcon, ARMA 3 and DCS are mature I'm going back to pc. Will still keep working my way through the back catalogue.

I put half life 2 on my laptop and it reminded me of why I got sick of pc gaming as it decided to take forever to load for no reason, the second time I put it on.

This time round I'm going to tweak in the week and game at the weekend. Hopefully I can strike a happy balance as I do enjoy the tweaking, just always feel like I could get more out of a system and the fps monitoring in my head ruins my immersion.

Last edited:
Soldato
I like both console and PC gaming and have no preference to either. Consoles offer some fantastic games not available on PC and PC offers the same mainly for me with strategy games.

I have never understood the whole PC or nothing brigade tbh. Always just seems like kids justifying purchases that have to be the best.

Soldato
I have never understood the whole PC or nothing brigade tbh. Always just seems like kids justifying purchases that have to be the best.

1. Generally looks better.
2. Can play with a controller if I want.
3. More accessible MMO's
4. Can mod most games for better GFX, combat, gameplay etc.
5. Cheaper games
6. My PC is my TV, HiFi, Games console in one
7. My PC might not be up to performance in 3 years time, might have to upgrade for £175 not £400 for a new console (lol yeah right)

Soldato
There is something to be said about the purity of the experience gaming on a console. If it turn a console on I am only going to be gaming, on pc i get distracted by we browsing, emails etc.
I can connect my pc to the large lounge tv, so i can pretty much get a console experience with the pcc as well. In reality it is not something that i do every time I game on the pc as it is a bit of a faff running the cable along the floor etc. So i would say another thing i prefer about consoles is that (for me) they are always connected to a large tv, and gaming on a large tv whilst sitting on a comfy sofa is far superior to gaming at a desk. Another benefit would be size, portability and sound. My wii U is incredibly small compared to a pc, and it is also really quiet.
Ultimately it is all about the games though and consoles and pc all have exclusive games i like.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most people that say "But consoles are much cheaper" typically haven't looked at the cost at all.

£4-500 will get you a decent spec PC; say every few years, you spend another £100 on a new graphics card, and the same on a CPU. Once you've sold the old ones for about £50 each, it's about £100 every three years.

So £400 starting, + £100 every three years; probably about £700-800 over the lifespan of a console, and when a new one comes out, you don't need the starting cost again. Factor in that you likely need a PC anyway, no yearly subscription, cheaper games; it can easily be cheaper if need be.

Associate
Started out as a pc gamer then moved onto console but now coming back to pc mainly due to not wanting to purchase the new xbox1 and ps4 yet. In a year or so maybe?

I was mostly attracted to titles like GOW on xbox and batman, AC on ps. Then went onto racing games such as NFS titles. Now I just use my xbox 360 controllers on pc.

Besides PC games prices have dropped considerably so I am buying older titles.

Soldato
This time round I'm doing an ITX build that will sit under my tv so I get to be able to game on my sofa like I did with my 360.

Still got a laptop for any serious typing work but other than that, a 360 pad and table should hopefully do me right.

Man of Honour
pc with an xbox controller

This is exactly why the question this thread poses is now way out of date. Choice of input device being the key difference is no longer true. It comes down to a mixture of platform exclusive games, hardware and services, as well as whether or not the majority of your gaming friends are already on a particular platform. It should no longer be "PC or console?", the question is really "Which platform?".

jcr

jcr

Associate
This is exactly why the question this thread poses is now way out of date. Choice of input device being the key difference is no longer true. It comes down to a mixture of platform exclusive games, hardware and services, as well as whether or not the majority of your gaming friends are already on a particular platform. It should no longer be "PC or console?", the question is really "Which platform?".

i wish games were cross platform online. my nephews play xbox/ps but i cant join in on the pc. annoying

Soldato
Can I choose both? lol

Multiplatform games I prefere on the PC just because of the higher framerates and eyecandy plus my pc is also connected up to my TV so im not missing out on a big screen.
The best thing about console gaming for me is the exclusives I guess...If you could play every single PS4 game on the PC then I probably wouldn't even own a PS4 but since you can't I love both.
I guess also sometimes its just easier to sit down and relax with your ps4 and game away without having to fiddle with anything which is the downside of pc gaming. Especially games that are so buggy and unoptimized and don't work with crossfire and SLI ect properly.

Associate
Both. I have consoles and a good gaming pc. I will try to get the best version of the game that is out for all PC/Consoles, most of the times its the pc option. Unfortunately due to moving in a different house now the PC is in my bedroom while the huge tv is downstairs which means i might need to change the strategy a bit and start getting games in the PS3 and Wii U. GF got me watchdogs for the PS3 so will have to play it there.

Associate
Always played console, some competitive games from 2004 onwards on console so back then I was hooked. Then over the years just grew up more and couldn't stand playing with kids on console. Joined these forums last year, got help building my first PC and i've not looked back since. Not even wanted to plug back in my console since. Even the exclusives like Forza has been took over with the likes of Assetto Corsa, LFS etc for me. Only thing I miss were the good old days of Cod4 and GoW. Appart from that PC>Console

Soldato
No preference at all. Some games I buy for the xbox one and some I buy for my PC. It depends on my mood which system I use.

Associate
personally PC ....but either is a viable option....

The only thing that gets me is people who own the same game on console and PC, aside from GTA with it's insane launch delay ...the PC release is almost always better

Back
Top Bottom