Kebab shop cabbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
My dads friend owns a kebab house and after years of wondering I asked him the other week. It's just oil, lemon juice and salt.

Soldato
OP
My dads friend owns a kebab house and after years of wondering I asked him the other week. It's just oil, lemon juice and salt.

Really?

So olive oil, lemon juice and salt... any specific amounts of each? I've tried before olive oil and salt but it just tasted of.... olive oil (lol), it also had too much crunch.

Man of Honour
Crunch is you havent left it long enough. Also if you dont want the olive oil taste use a non tasting oil or extremly cheap olive oil.

Last edited:
Soldato
i used to work in one many yrs ago and we used to simply shred it in a blender with nowt on. lovely and crunchy and mixed with shredded lettuce. when we made the kebab up we'd add the lemon juice on top. lovely. best homemade kebabs ever, none of this massive leg ****e!

Caporegime
I've heard different people ask the guys in my local kebab shop multiple times about this, and the answer has always been oil/lemon juice/vinegar/salt.

With regard to amount, why not try a number of different ratios in small amounts to find out the best?

Soldato
So olive oil, lemon juice and salt... any specific amounts of each?
I'd go one of two ways, depending on the quality of the oil you are using.

For something high-quality, like an Extra Virgin, I'd go with equal quantities of lemon juice to oil and then salt to taste.

But for something like vegetable or sunflower oil, a more classic vinaigrette style with a ratio of 3:1 oil to lemon juice, with a pinch of salt dissolved in the lemon juice before whisking in the oil might be best.

Either way, the longer the cabbage is left in the liquid the softer it will become - but be mindful of the 1:1 ratio mixture as you may well be in danger of the acid 'burning' the cabbage.

Associate
A method I use for our businesses.

Shred the cabbage as finely as you can.
Wash it till the water is no longer couloured and runs clear, as this will negate the ' burning'.
Add :
Salt and pepper ( pepper replaces the bite from the washed out colouring)
Fresh lemon juice ( not that bottled stuff, I mean a fresh lemon)
Olive oil ( virgin preferably )

Give it all a good mix in the bowl...voila!

You don't want the cabbage to be too oily so as above post a 1:1 tablespoon ratio with oil and lemon.

You can also add a pinch of sugar to sweeten.
note: I am a Turk, I own Kebab shops :)

Last edited:
Soldato
A method I use for our businesses.

Shred the cabbage as finely as you can.
Wash it till the water is no longer couloured and runs clear, as this will negate the ' burning'.
Add :
Salt and pepper ( pepper replaces the bite from the washed out colouring)
Fresh lemon juice ( not that bottled stuff, I mean a fresh lemon)
Olive oil ( virgin preferably )

Give it all a good mix in the bowl...voila!

You don't want the cabbage to be too oily so as above post a 1:1 tablespoon ratio with oil and lemon.

You can also add a pinch of sugar to sweeten.
note: I am a Turk, I own Kebab shops :)

Let me know what day you're in this week and i'll come and talk pc's and buy one of your kebabs buddy :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom