The First FrreSync monitor for sale now?

Associate
Hi BuzzLloydyear I would be interested to hear what you think about the change over from your IPS screen to the new 4K Tn screen when you receive it.

I will make sure I pop back to give it my fair appraisal.

It won't be anything in depth as I just lack knowledge in that area, and would only prove a disservice there. I will just give a overview on the differences as far as my eyes can see.

I expect a downgrade here, but giving the trade off between that and 4k resolution, I decided it's worth the purchase. If it performs anywhere near as good as some people been saying in here, then I will be delighted with that.

Associate
Right, I just plugged it in, the colours out of the box are immediately noticeable, compared to that of my IPS. I will try to calibrate it somewhat, hopefully matt's settings will give me a better finish. I will say though that it's not so bad that it would make me not want to use it. I feel it can get much better than this also.

The build quality on this has surprised me, very sturdy stand. It's hard to know how this is so cheap from first glance. The only real gripe I have thus far, is the "buttons". They are them touch sensitive pad things and I really have trouble using them. Thankfully, there is not an amazing amount of need for them after it's all set up.

If anyone buys one, I will say, make sure you go into the monitor settings and change the display port settings to display port 1.2 from 1.1. As you probably all know, you will only get 30hz refresh rate otherwise.

I will go play with it now and see if I can improve the colours somewhat.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
i wonder if asus has any agreement with nvidia to only do g-sync
not saying they do but i wonder if they will bring out a freesync
i guess the same could go for benq ><

Soldato
OP
i wonder if asus has any agreement with nvidia to only do g-sync
not saying they do but i wonder if they will bring out a freesync
i guess the same could go for benq ><

I would seriously doubt it. I don't anyone would be stupid enough to get to commit the company to a limited market based on propitiatory tech.

Associate
Right now they will have no answer probably no idea what your talking about. Once iiyama publish information it is afterwards they will inform their support people.

Tech Report are reporting that Iiyama aren't aware of the upgrade:

Tech Report said:
"Update: Well, so much for that. Steve Kilroy, Iiyama's senior account manager for the UK, hasn't heard of the FreeSync upgrade. The Overclockers UK listing is in error, he says..."

Associate
Well this is awkward.

I don't normally get mad too easily, but I am absolutely furious with this.

In a day and age where technology makes communication as easy as possible, how can 2 companies miscommunicate this so badly? I spent the better part of yesterday calibrating this monitor. The likelihood is that I will have to send it back now. Freesync was the absolute deciding factor for getting it. Without that, I would held off pulling the trigger and OCUK knows this, otherwise they wouldn't have been in such a hurry to promote the non-existing promotion in the first place.

Not only have I seemingly wasted my precious holiday time calibrating a monitor I am unlikely to keep. I spent a large chunk of my available money on it. It was a spur of the moment purchase, where I decided I will live tight for the next few weeks, until I actually get paid by work again, but it will be worth it to have something nice, that will cheer me up whilst I am ill on Christmas.

Really, not happy with this at all. Absolute farce in this day and age.

OcUK Staff
HI there

Iiyama have asked us to remove the information for now until they can come up with a complete resolution and service for this.

If Iiyama make the worse decision and decide to not offer the service, we shall standby our customers who ordered one for the Freesync when it was advertised as such by simply taking the monitor back and swapping it for a Freesync edition or paying to have it upgraded ourselves.

So those who purchased when it was advertised as such, will get the service, even if OcUK has to cover cost. :)

Associate
HI there

Iiyama have asked us to remove the information for now until they can come up with a complete resolution and service for this.

If Iiyama make the worse decision and decide to not offer the service, we shall standby our customers who ordered one for the Freesync when it was advertised as such by simply taking the monitor back and swapping it for a Freesync edition or paying to have it upgraded ourselves.

So those who purchased when it was advertised as such, will get the service, even if OcUK has to cover cost. :)

I can feel the inner rage starting to subside already. Still not particulary happy that such information can be miscommunicated in such a way. I don't understand how it can happen even, it all seems silly.

I appreciate that you will actively stand by the offer in some way, shape or form, but it is simply a compromise to a situation that just shouldn't happen in this day and age.

Not ungrateful by any means. I am delighted that it means I can continue to use this monitor. I am more grateful that I don't have to go through the bother of sending it all back also.

So I thank you for this, but please be more careful, of what you advertise on the products in future. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the information removed from the site!

Caporegime
It's generally the manufacturers at fault, I mean, there's an Asus ROG keyboard they showed off.
Apparently no one at the company knows what it is :p

HI there

Can't get any fairer than that though.

Associate
Damn now I wish I had ordered it before anyway lol. Good of OcUK to standby the sales though, rather than just getting ppl to return if unhappy.

I hope the Freesync updated versions ship soon, as soon as they do I will snap one up. To the people who have one, how does 1440p look on these monitors? I mean 4k will be great but not all games are going to be playable at that res so 1440p is a better option.

Soldato
OP
The question now is will this be the first FreeSync monitor, or will someone steal Iiyama/OcUK's thunder.

Plenty of Tech sites are calling BS on this already, and OcUK pulling the FreeSync details is backing that up.

Last edited:
Associate
EDIT - Thanks to Martini1991, I got it wrong. I misread it (somehow I seem to have missed that "V" - Adaptive-Sync is not Adaptive V-Sync. DOH!

Ignore rest of below since it's wrong, leaving it so you can see how wrong I am(!) However the difference between Adaptive-Sync and Freesync does stand as pointed out via the link to interview with the AMD engineer.

--------------------

Just to point out about NVIDIA's support for Adaptive-Sync - they already do support it. In fact GTX650 onward support it.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync

It's a VESA standard so it would be daft for NVIDIA to not support it.

As for what's the difference between AMD's Freesync and Adaptive-Sync? This interview with an AMD engineer should explain it all:

http://www.sweclockers.com/artikel/...ngsfrekvenser-med-project-freesync/2#pagehead

Could you please explain the difference between AMD FreeSync and VESA Adaptive-Sync?

– VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is a new component of the DisplayPort 1.2a specification that allows a graphics card to control the refresh rate of a display over a DisplayPort link. As it seems there is some confusion, I want to emphasize that DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is not FreeSync. By itself, DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is a building block that provides a standard framework a source device, e.g. a graphics card, can depend on to execute dynamic refresh rates.

DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync is an important development in our industry, however, because there now exists an industry-standard framework that dynamic refresh rate technologies, like Project FreeSync, can rely on to deliver end-user benefits: no tearing, minimal input latency, smooth framerates, etc. Make no mistake, providing dynamic refresh rates to users still takes a lot of ‘secret sauce’ from the hardware and software ends of our products, including the correct display controllers in the hardware and the right algorithms in AMD Catalyst.

In a nutshell - Freesync is just a named method of how AMD make use of Adaptive-Sync to provide smooth no-tearing fps. NVIDIA have their own method in their drivers and cards although they don't have a name for this method, they're just saying Adaptive-Sync and you can already enable it in the drivers.

I plan on buying an Adaptive-Sync monitor when they are more commonly available. No G-Sync.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom