• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***AMD Freesync owners thread***

Permabanned
Question, reading the hardware review it says the LG's dynamic refresh rate is 48 to 75 hz.

So if running a game that drops into the 30's a lot (many game do this with a 290x at 1920 x 1080p) what does it mean for free-sync?

Does your fps need to be between 48 and 75 for consistent smoothness?

Mei

Mei

Soldato
Incredibly dumb rollout imo, was the same for eyefinity and the same for framepacing, considering amd were saying freesync would be in reviewers hands in september 2014 i can't see why they went the same direction with this.

First you've to wait on the monitor, then you've to wait on the driver, then if you've more than one card you've to wait on another driver....wtf?? Idiotic at best. :confused::(

maybe! but all that really matters right now is if its anygood
i think if AMD hadnt bothered and one company was left to control the price on this tech it could have been really bad
even if i was sitting looking at a stack of nvidia cards id be thankful for that
a lot more screens coming out thats good too

driver wait is not good but there's more good than bad here ><

Soldato
I think you probably mean Freesync on+ Vsync off+ Frame rate limiter on (i.e. RadeonPro, RivaTuner Statistics Server that's bundled with MSI Afterburner).

Nope

Freesync on so when frame rate drops into spec 40-144 I get smooth frame rate. And vsync off so I can run games like csgo still at 300fps.

For battlefield though I'll probably cap my frame rate around 120fps..

Also I believe this new drivers will have amd own frame limiter.

Caporegime
Soldato
A good review and very in-depth of Freesync running on the BenQ and the LG monitors at PCPer :cool:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displa...hnical-Discussion/Gaming-Experience-FreeSync-

Looking good so far but needs a little work still according to Ryan and his final thoughts are:

Some interesting stuff going on in the comments - apparently gsync compensates for ghosting where as freesync doesn't (due to the inboard ram available)... If it does turn out freesync is slightly lower latency then it is looking like that co es at the cost if ghosting

Soldato
OP
Without a doubt the best piece of advice you can get on the FreeSync/Gsync debate I have read since AMD announced FreeSync:

We're not sure that Freesync alone is enough for you to be swayed to AMD over nVidia in the same way that GSync isn't enough to choose nVidia over AMD. Pick your GPU first, and then go for the monitor that supports that particular GPU brand.

Update:

Associate
Glad am not the only one..

Its a puzzler as its meant to reduce ghosting,but i experience none with it turned off,but loads with it turned on.

I always figured it was a bug in the firmware maybe and it got on/off back to front,and only affected my model/batch or whatever

Its a GL2460

Soldato
Its a puzzler as its meant to reduce ghosting,but i experience none with it turned off,but loads with it turned on.

I always figured it was a bug in the firmware maybe and it got on/off back to front,and only affected my model/batch or whatever

Its a GL2460

Its the same in both my BenQ monitors the Freesync one and my older one.. Although on this Freesync one AMA High the ghosting is very little you really need to look for it.

On stock its very bad and I expect this is why its showing up in PCer review because its on by default on Premium setting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
A good review and very in-depth of Freesync running on the BenQ and the LG monitors at PCPer :cool:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displa...hnical-Discussion/Gaming-Experience-FreeSync-

Looking good so far but needs a little work still according to Ryan and his final thoughts are:

It's a terrible review and it's not surprising to see you posting it. It's borderline retarded review. Blaming ghosting on different settings available on different monitors. Also difficult to say without the screen if it's ghosting or overshoot, many screens have excessively over aggressive settings that cause awful overshoot and under aggressive settings that aren't pushing the panel hard enough and do show ghosting.

As others have pointed out, they turned off a setting and boom, no ghosting. They are inherently blaming freesync for ghosting from a panel based setting. Thing is any reviewer who read even 1 monitor review would know about overdrive settings and what was responsible. He instead posited that the g-sync module was supplying more voltage to the pixels than on freesync screens. The guy is a moron and he's claiming G-sync is better because he's ignorant, that isn't a good review.

Without a doubt the best piece of advice you can get on the FreeSync/Gsync debate I have read since AMD announced FreeSync:

Update:

Meh, I don't buy that, for one thing Intel is likely to support adaptive sync in general in the future and for another Nvidia WILL eventually move g-sync software to include working on adaptive sync screens. Hardware wise g-sync adds cost and removes features, extra ports and many screen features go missing. The only questions are, will widespread support for adaptive sync and Intel/AMD having full support on all of them force Nvidia's hand to make it free and widespread as well or will they continue to license it. In which case while it will work with adaptive sync it will likely still lock out non paying screens at the driver level as they've done with other features.

Intel support for adaptive sync along with AMD might force Nvidia's hand, in which case all these adaptive sync screens have the possibility of potential support from Nvidia cards, the reverse is absolutely not true.

Even if Nvidia go the pay route, we've seen hacked drivers helping physx/sli support on chipsets/mobos where it works but Nvidia have purely locked it out via the driver blacklisting a non paying monitor... when(not if but when) Nvidia move g-sync to support adaptive sync, even if they force monitors to pay for it, there is a chance someone will hack support for other adaptive sync monitors.

Ignoring freesync/g-sync on the screen, with an adaptive sync screen you have a fully featured screen with several inputs and other features. With g-sync most normal features these days are missing. They'll be easier to sell as they'll be worthwhile screens for anyone and might have adaptive sync for almost everyone as well, g-sync will lack many features and very few people(in the future rather than today) will want all those limitations on features when other screens without those limitations are available.

Last edited:
Soldato
+1
Turn Freesync on and off and see if it has the same ghosting issue, even use a non Freesync compatible port and see if it has the same ghosting issue otherwise its pure speculation due to lack of a methodical approach and nothing more.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, Pcper is the only hands on review site that's raised the issue, TP probably pointed out the ghosting when he woke up next to Ryan after a cosy nights sleep over.:p

my first impressions are just this: AMD has done it. They've replicated that sense of buttery smooth animation that a fast G-Sync display will get you, and they've done it in a way that squeezes the extra costs out of the monitors. This is a very good thing.

http://techreport.com/news/27987/amd-makes-freesync-official-reveals-display-pricing

Soldato
First quick impressions are very good.. It really does smooth out the frame itch /stutter you get when frame rate drops..

Perfect test is to blow something up in Battlefield and close range and then move about really fast.. It remains smooth

More testing needed could only use it test range for couple mins..

Back
Top Bottom