Netgears new VDSL / ADSL Modem Router with AC wireless (D6400)

Associate
Fair enough - I may beat you to it. Just worried about the IPTV aspect of it as I couldn't get the D6400 to work with my plusnet IPTV. So been doing more research.

Associate
FYI the new D7000 does not reboot itself or lose sync when you apply the majority of settings and if it does need to do something that takes a while it seems like the modem part and the router part are separate parts and it does not have to take both down etc ))))

Are you sure this is the case?

I've set mine up, made a few changes and it loses connection for a few seconds, and the log reports it as 'Internet Down'.

Is this because of the router side restarting?

Is the modem still connected, so DLM won't be affected?

Cheers

Associate
Just a small update for those trying to get IPTV to work, it does cover how to set it up in the manual...
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D6400/D6400_UM_14May2015.pdf
bottom of page 197 and onward from there, basically the same as on a billion, enabling WAN2 and setting a bridge.

I am about to send back my D7000 as I couldn't work out how to set up IPTV on it - it just did not work - this is the link I was trying to use: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29326 - it did not work - you mention page 215 which is the same for the D7000 - enabling Lan 4 in bridge mode - do you just tick that box and apply the settings? If that is what you did, can I only use Lan 4 for the IPTV? My current set up is a 10m cat 6 ethernet from the router to a gigabit switch behind the TV which connects my apple tv, blu ray, tv, laptop etc. So I would only be able to use the youview box direct to Lan 4 - does that make sense?

Associate
I am about to send back my D7000 as I couldn't work out how to set up IPTV on it - it just did not work - this is the link I was trying to use: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29326 - it did not work - you mention page 215 which is the same for the D7000 - enabling Lan 4 in bridge mode - do you just tick that box and apply the settings? If that is what you did, can I only use Lan 4 for the IPTV? My current set up is a 10m cat 6 ethernet from the router to a gigabit switch behind the TV which connects my apple tv, blu ray, tv, laptop etc. So I would only be able to use the youview box direct to Lan 4 - does that make sense?

Try the d6400 manual here...

Read page 196 all the way up to end of page 204. Then also have a read of page 206 to ensure IGMP is properly enabled. Page 205 about the DMZ server you should be able to ignore, thats not needed leave that well alone.

Im assuming the web setup is basically the same on the d7000.

I also have a upload a manual about how to enable iptv on a billion 8800N which although a different device may be of some use as it has the odd helpful picture and some specific settings.
http://go4up.com/dl/13ae62b57ef0
This may or may not confuse the issue more, some people find some methods of describing things easier to follow that others. Personally i think the netgear manual is pretty clear on what you need to do.

If you still can not get it working i dunno how to help further :(

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
I'll take a look at that post - thanks for looking. I've come to the conclusion that until they release a new firmware that'll give me the IGMP options, I have a router that I cannot enjoy. Yeah the IPTV is scattered all around that manual, I have followed it to a tee but am ready to throw it out of the window haha

Associate
There are IGMP options in the D6400 and from reading the manuals the D7000, you can not be configuring things correctly or following the instructions correctly if you get no such options.

I do not have any form of IPTV otherwise id do a step by step picture guide, doing so without IPTV though would be a bit difficult as i would not know if what i suggest would work 100%.

Associate
There are IGMP options in the D6400 and from reading the manuals the D7000, you can not be configuring things correctly or following the instructions correctly if you get no such options.

I do not have any form of IPTV otherwise id do a step by step picture guide, doing so without IPTV though would be a bit difficult as i would not know if what i suggest would work 100%.

I cannot even see the IGMP options in the D7000 manual.

It's doing my head in now.

I will put screenshots up later.

Associate
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D6400/D6400-V1.0.0.34_1.3.34.zip

Code:
D6400 Firmware Version 1.0.0.34

New Features & Enhancements

Wireless driver update for CE 2.4GHz power issue
Removed IPTV / DHCP option 60 in Setup Wizard while it’s set to UK/Sky and VDSL mode
Added ISP option list in Setup Wizard in ETH-WAN DHCP mode
Wireless AP mode picture update (for D6400)
DSL quick scan table updated
Added DFS channels support in Europe and Australia
Removed the Setup Wizard log
Added IPTV option in Setup Wizard for known ISP, It will bridge LAN4 and VDSL VLAN 30 interface
Disabled VLAN option in Setup Wizard page (user cannot change it in Setup Wizard)
Wording change in Internet Setup page / Router Status page: WAN1 to Internet, WAN2 to IPTV
Added “WAN2 bridge to LAN4” option in Internet Setup page
Added XAgent (Remote Genie) support
Updated DSL PHY driver and enable SRA and G.INP support
Added NA sku support
Internal wireless parameter change : watchdog from 60000 msec to 3000 msec for Home IOT issues
Bug Fixes 

Fixed the issue with Wireless Setup page on Chrome browser
Fixed the issue where OpenVPN information incorrect in non-English version
Fixed the issue where upgrading the FW through internet crashes the router
Fixed some issues happened in WPA/WPA2 Enterprise Test
Fixed the issue where Asia 5GHz GUI channel can't set 36,40
Fixed the issue where router statistics show incorrect LAN interface uptime
Fixed the issue where BT WAN detection fail at ETH mode while IPTV is enabled
Fixed the issue where LAN PC doesn't get IP address from WAN when enable IPTV from VLAN / Bridge Setup page
Fixed the SoapAPI: Many API run failed during SOAP testing
Fixed the issue where browse button is not translated into Chinese on Setup Wizard restore router settings page
Fixed the issue where there is no ReadySHARE Vault option in USB function
Fixed the issue where Wireless client can't connect to router when its security mode is WPA/WPA2 Enterprise with EAP-TLS authentication
Fixed SOAP vulnerability (Need password requirement for SOAP API)
Known Issues:

PnP-X driver is not ready

Associate
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D6400/D6400-V1.0.0.34_1.3.34.zip

Code:
D6400 Firmware Version 1.0.0.34

New Features & Enhancements

Wireless driver update for CE 2.4GHz power issue
Removed IPTV / DHCP option 60 in Setup Wizard while it’s set to UK/Sky and VDSL mode
Added ISP option list in Setup Wizard in ETH-WAN DHCP mode
Wireless AP mode picture update (for D6400)
DSL quick scan table updated
Added DFS channels support in Europe and Australia
Removed the Setup Wizard log
Added IPTV option in Setup Wizard for known ISP, It will bridge LAN4 and VDSL VLAN 30 interface
Disabled VLAN option in Setup Wizard page (user cannot change it in Setup Wizard)
Wording change in Internet Setup page / Router Status page: WAN1 to Internet, WAN2 to IPTV
Added “WAN2 bridge to LAN4” option in Internet Setup page
Added XAgent (Remote Genie) support
Updated DSL PHY driver and enable SRA and G.INP support
Added NA sku support
Internal wireless parameter change : watchdog from 60000 msec to 3000 msec for Home IOT issues
Bug Fixes 

Fixed the issue with Wireless Setup page on Chrome browser
Fixed the issue where OpenVPN information incorrect in non-English version
Fixed the issue where upgrading the FW through internet crashes the router
Fixed some issues happened in WPA/WPA2 Enterprise Test
Fixed the issue where Asia 5GHz GUI channel can't set 36,40
Fixed the issue where router statistics show incorrect LAN interface uptime
Fixed the issue where BT WAN detection fail at ETH mode while IPTV is enabled
Fixed the issue where LAN PC doesn't get IP address from WAN when enable IPTV from VLAN / Bridge Setup page
Fixed the SoapAPI: Many API run failed during SOAP testing
Fixed the issue where browse button is not translated into Chinese on Setup Wizard restore router settings page
Fixed the issue where there is no ReadySHARE Vault option in USB function
Fixed the issue where Wireless client can't connect to router when its security mode is WPA/WPA2 Enterprise with EAP-TLS authentication
Fixed SOAP vulnerability (Need password requirement for SOAP API)
Known Issues:

PnP-X driver is not ready

Nice spot mjgr33n, am about to check it out, sounds like that should also help IPTV issues some have had.

Associate
Bad form to reply to my own post but after about a day of testing the new firmware seems stable. Updated without any real problems.

Good things...
Interface is slightly faster, switching between various options/categories in the interface the pages display quicker (not much of a difference some may not even notice)

IPTV setup even though i have no IPTV to test should now be straightforward even for the non technically minded, they have done a lot of work in this area to make it easier to configure.

When you alter an option where the router has to do its "updating settings" or "Reboot" this is also very slightly quicker. Takes around 30-40 seconds (guesstimate) now.

Bad things/things you need to be aware of...

If you previously had any port forwarding setup you will need to reset the router to its defaults and reconfigure it all (tiny red button on the back of the device).

For some strange reason, for me at least the two ports i had previously forwarded were not carried across and upon trying to re-set them up it displayed a message basically saying it could not do so as that port had already been forwarded/used, which indeed it had but the list of rules no longer was displaying them.

The only way i could fix this was via a reset of the device and re-set up, (NO a prior save settings restore did not cure it either). Sounds a pain but apart from its "restarting" and "rebooting" rigmarole it did not take long to have everything back as it was.

A possible work around is if you REMOVE any port forwarding rules before you update the firmware and then put them back after updating it MAY mean you do not have to reset and start afresh. (obviously im unable to test now unless i reflash the old firmware and then the new again, which im not going to ) Every other setting AFAIK carried across from previous firmware setup (EG wifi names/passwords, guest network settings, even prior saved access control/device list etc were all remembered).

Hope that quick little overview is of use to some thinking about updating.

Last edited:
Associate
Try the d6400 manual here...

Read page 196 all the way up to end of page 204. Then also have a read of page 206 to ensure IGMP is properly enabled. Page 205 about the DMZ server you should be able to ignore, thats not needed leave that well alone.

Im assuming the web setup is basically the same on the d7000.

I also have a upload a manual about how to enable iptv on a billion 8800N which although a different device may be of some use as it has the odd helpful picture and some specific settings.
http://go4up.com/dl/13ae62b57ef0
This may or may not confuse the issue more, some people find some methods of describing things easier to follow that others. Personally i think the netgear manual is pretty clear on what you need to do.

If you still can not get it working i dunno how to help further :(

The saga continues to sort out my Youview plusnet tv!

I have direct contact with a netgear support guy who is trying to figure things out - but he was wondering if anyone with the D6400 has managed to get the IPTV working and if so if they could email him (specifially with the config file from the router).

i would truly appreciate it!

Rick

Associate
If you can wait until the end of the week (IE sat and sun 8th and 9th) i can take my D6400 to a m8s house that has youview and try it there. HOWEVER i think he is BT Retail (Infinity) and NOT Plusnet.

Associate
Oh I can wait! I Think Plusnet and BT use the same kind of set up. I was trying to PM you in here but I don't think this forum allows it.

Associate
And also the Netgear engineer who's dealing with my case would love a config file or something whereby you can save your settings. Not sure how happy you'd be to provide that, but I can somehow give you his email address or something.

Associate
Ill see what i can do, no promises. Said m8 is planning on ditching his homehub 5 and is considering a netgear so it will be interesting to see if he has issues with his youview. Plus knowing if it will work or not will save me another visit to sort things out if he also has issues.

Back
Top Bottom