AOC G2460PF

Soldato
Glad to hear you guys like the review and are finding the ICC profile useful even on the 27" model. I know it won't make everything perfect, but hearing of an improvement is always a good thing. :)

Associate
So I read the review and everything.. Would you guys recommend this monitor as a TN panel for a person who wants freesync? I just noticed it's in stock here, so I am gonna go and pick it up on Friday.

I mean after the color adjust profiles.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I read the review and everything.. Would you guys recommend this monitor as a TN panel for a person who wants freesync? I just noticed it's in stock here, so I am gonna go and pick it up on Friday.

I mean after the color adjust profiles.

To be honest, you're probably better off waiting to see what comes along. Unless you've got money burning a hole in your wallet or are happy to buy this then upgrade again next year. If you plan to stick with this longer term, you might regret the decision. Plus AOC have one heck of a gaming line-up for next year, or so I hear.

On the other hand, I haven't rushed to pack this away and send it back and am still using it. If that tells you anything.

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest, you're probably better off waiting to see what comes along. Unless you've got money burning a hole in your wallet or are happy to buy this then upgrade again next year. If you plan to stick with this longer term, you might regret the decision. Plus AOC have one heck of a gaming line-up for next year, or so I hear.

On the other hand, I haven't rushed to pack this away and send it back and am still using it. If that tells you anything.

What if I say that I don't have a monitor and I need to buy one for my R9 390?

Associate
Then it would depend on the games you play and how competitively.

Well I play kinda everything. I used to raid hardcore, but that was with super old TV with tons of input lag. I would just prefer to make use of all the frames I can get and freesync to smoothen out the experience. I was interested also in 27 inch IPS freesync monitor but they are 1440p and my card can't really do that super well and will get worse in time.

Associate
ok, got my replacement monitor today, and it would appear to have the new firmware (i.e. overdrive settings aren't greyed out when 144 hz is chosen).

Personally, as stated above, I find this whole overdrive thing a bit of mcguffin (?)but if said info helps anyone here, all to the good.

More to the point I'm beginning to think I must have an unstable gpu as I'm still getting the flickering (much more obvious using 144hz - but think I've seen it at least once with 60 as well).
It's generally not that obvious in game (still talking Morrowind here), but rather when on loading screens (or oddly, when still in game, but having brought option buttons up with the escape key, and clicking on them i.e. 'save' - very obvious when I do that ....)

I did mention the monitor 'reporting' to my OS that refresh rates of 30, 29 and 25 hz interlaced are useable - but with neither monitor has it been possible to successfully apply them (just get the 'wiggling' 'shakey' desktop as mentioned).

Could someone else test this (PCM2?)? and let me know their results?
Might help indicate if it's me or ....

Last edited:
Soldato
ok, got my replacement monitor today, and it would appear to have the new firmware (i.e. overdrive settings aren't greyed out when 144 hz is chosen).

Personally, as stated above, I find this whole overdrive thing a bit of mcguffin (?)but if said info helps anyone here, all to the good.

More to the point I'm beginning to think I must have an unstable gpu as I'm still getting the flickering (much more obvious using 144hz - but think I've seen it at least once with 60 as well).
It's generally not that obvious in game (still talking Morrowind here), but rather when on loading screens (or oddly, when still in game, but having brought option buttons up with the escape key, and clicking on them i.e. 'save' - very obvious when I do that ....)

I did mention the monitor 'reporting' to my OS that refresh rates of 30, 29 and 25 hz interlaced are useable - but with neither monitor has it been possible to successfully apply them (just get the 'wiggling' 'shakey' desktop as mentioned).

I assume you're using the latest AMD drivers? I believe FreeSync may still have issues with moments in games where the frame rate is capped below the lower refresh rate floor of the monitor, for example 30fps or 25fps as occurs during certain loading screens and other such 'menu' content in games. I saw this on the XL2730Z I tested a little while back in a few games but assumed this was ironed out with newer FreeSync drivers. I didn't specifically observe this behaviour on the G2460PF. I can't do any further testing as it's all packed away ready to be sent back to AOC.

Associate
I assume you're using the latest AMD drivers? I believe FreeSync may still have issues with moments in games where the frame rate is capped below the lower refresh rate floor of the monitor, for example 30fps or 25fps as occurs during certain loading screens and other such 'menu' content in games. I saw this on the XL2730Z I tested a little while back in a few games but assumed this was ironed out with newer FreeSync drivers. I didn't specifically observe this behaviour on the G2460PF. I can't do any further testing as it's all packed away ready to be sent back to AOC.

can you send it over this way please and i will send mine back to aoc :D.

what kind of flickering are you talking about here? ive noticed some corner flickering, but it's related to freesync as when you disable it, it stops. sometimes when alt tabbing with freesync enabled, you get a weird resolution distortion/flicker, which is solved by alt tabbing a few times.
i imagine these issues will be resolved in later driver updates from amd as it matures.

Last edited:
Associate

installed latest beta last night, from a DDU uninstall in safe mode - and this time I got the freesync 'configure' ok at least, but flickering still present (again only clearly so at 144hz).
But your mentioning the framerate cap makes sense ... could well be that at 'play' here (forgive pun). The fps counter is on in Morrowind - I'll have to check what it says at those points.

what kind of flickering are you talking about here? ive noticed some corner flickering, but it's related to freesync as when you disable it, it stops. sometimes when alt tabbing with freesync enabled, you get a weird resolution distortion/flicker, which is solved by alt tabbing a few times.
i imagine these issues will be resolved in later driver updates from amd as it matures.

Not a corner flicker but seems to be across the entire screen. I'll have to see if I can video it (think you can use fraps, can't you?) and put it up, which'll be a first...

otherwise I've got a 270 gpu (using a 290 btw) which I could stick in. It was a very stable performer, so if I were still to get flickering with that in place, I'd have to conclude the 'problem' originates in the the monitor / freesync area.

Be interesting too if someone else could test out trying to set the lower 'reported' refresh rates (i.e. 30hz and below) and see if they encounter the same problem I have (across two monitors and different GPU drivers now).

Last edited:
Associate
i would test it on another machine or gpu as you say, i havnt seen any flicker on the 390 so far apart from the types i have described. - i also limit frames and have not seen any flicker at 144hz with it on.

either way you should be able to tell with another gpu.

edit: which display port cable are you using? the one that came with the monitor i presume?

Associate
g2770PF

Hi all

Ok so once again,please accept my apologies for the Freesync issues we had on our launch of G2460PF, FYI "G2770PF" was not affected as we managed to stop delivery into the market.

I have some good news for you :D

Overclockers stock is shipping today! so will be in stock either later today or tomorrow.

I also have our official driver for you! still unsigned as it is missing the WHQL approbation from Microsoft however exclusively to you...(drum roll!) ... actually don't build it up as I don't imagine I have posted the linked correctly! (fingers crossed)

To install them on Windows 8 or 10 you have to disable driver signature verification.

[URL="http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/"]

Hope this helps

Associate
i would test it on another machine or gpu as you say, i havnt seen any flicker on the 390 so far apart from the types i have described. - i also limit frames and have not seen any flicker at 144hz with it on.

either way you should be able to tell with another gpu.

edit: which display port cable are you using? the one that came with the monitor i presume?

Yes, the DP cable that came with the monitor (both current and previous).

the flickering is odd: the loading screens aren't showing framerates below the cap (nowhere near actually), but, with Morrowind at least, I have realised the flickering occurs when a loading screen has a 'bar' showing an animation (i.e as the 'bar' fills-up showing the load). With a completely static loadscreen there's no flickering).

Having said all this I do seem to have unstability, whether due to system / hardware issues of my own, or the tech / drivers in general.

As mentioned above, I have had the flickering on one occasion in the control panel for the AMD windmill freesync demo (but haven't seen it there at all for the last couple of days...).

It would be a good thing if AOC would release the 'official' updated driver - at least, given it's accreditation, we could then feel that aspect was reliable.

oops - classic cross- posting - AOCrep's post appeared while I've been editing this one !!!

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all

I also have our official driver for you! still unsigned as it is missing the WHQL approbation from Microsoft however exclusively to you...(drum roll!) ... actually don't build it up as I don't imagine I have posted the linked correctly! (fingers crossed)

To install them on Windows 8 or 10 you have to disable driver signature verification.

[URL="http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/"]

Hope this helps

hi - thanks for update - but, no, the link doesn't work - takes you to a 'home improvement' page ??

Associate
Hi all

Ok so once again,please accept my apologies for the Freesync issues we had on our launch of G2460PF, FYI "G2770PF" was not affected as we managed to stop delivery into the market.

I have some good news for you :D

Overclockers stock is shipping today! so will be in stock either later today or tomorrow.

Hope this helps

thank you for the reply, i am still being told by aoc via email that there is no stock and no eta, i havnt contacted ocuk about it, should i go through ocuk instead?

edit: i am afraid that the drivers do not lower the freesync floor for me - or windows 10 isn't applying them correctly. i am using windows 10 64bit pro, firstly i uninstalled all of the older drivers. i then rebooted and rebooted again disabling driver signature verification.
once booted i right clicked the monitor (which showed as pnp monitor(standard)) and selected update driver software..
clicked browse my computer for driver software, followed by let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
next i clicked have disk... and clicked browse and navigated to the g2460pf.inf download from google drive.
clicked open, windows complained that the driver wasn't signed but i selected install anyway. once done rebooted and checked the range and the amd freesync windmill and the floor is still 48hz.
[URL="http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/N4Fg514n/file.html"]http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/N4Fg514n/file.html

http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/KpaBnydw/file.html
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/nerDC0wX/file.html
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/01j99Ixo/file.html
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/WZmg7rhS/file.html
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/OxMEPaN0/file.html

Last edited:
Associate
thank you for the reply, i am still being told by aoc via email that there is no stock and no eta, i havnt contacted ocuk about it, should i go through ocuk instead?

edit: i am afraid that the drivers do not lower the freesync floor for me - or windows 10 isn't applying them correctly. i am using windows 10 64bit pro, firstly i uninstalled all of the older drivers. i then rebooted and rebooted again disabling driver signature verification.
once booted i right clicked the monitor (which showed as pnp monitor(standard)) and selected update driver software..
clicked browse my computer for driver software, followed by let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
next i clicked have disk... and clicked browse and navigated to the g2460pf.inf download from google drive.
clicked open, windows complained that the driver wasn't signed but i selected install anyway. once done rebooted and checked the range and the amd freesync windmill and the floor is still 48hz.
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/N4Fg514n/file.html
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/KpaBnydw/file.html
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/nerDC0wX/file.html
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/01j99Ixo/file.html
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/WZmg7rhS/file.html
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/OxMEPaN0/file.html

hmmm, I'm windows 10 64 ... and I thought it was working.
I haven't looked at the .inf file in Monitor asset manager, although will do, but the Windmill demo let me test it down to 35hz, and seemed to be working as it should be (although more on that anon!).

I will say that it seems to be a bit of a black art to make sure that windows actually applies the driver (I'm never quite sure which options to take - although your description sounds right) as opposed to just telling you that the most up-to-date driver is already installed...

but I take it your monitor asset screenies are definitely taken from the 'new' driver provided today.

**** edit: when I try and open the new official driver with monitor asset manager I just get an 'access violation' failure - although it will open up other drivers fine (including my other AOC ones) ....

Henson - are you sure you opened up the right file (did you browse to the actual downloaded file from within MAM using its 'open' command)?

Last edited:
Associate
hmmm, I'm windows 10 64 ... and I thought it was working.
I haven't looked at the .inf file in Monitor asset manager, although will do, but the Windmill demo let me test it down to 35hz, and seemed to be working as it should be (although more on that anon!).

I will say that it seems to be a bit of a black art to make sure that windows actually applies the driver (I'm never quite sure which options to take - although your description sounds right) as opposed to just telling you that the most up-to-date driver is already installed...

but I take it your monitor asset screenies are definitely taken from the 'new' driver provided today.

yea completely uninstalled the drivers making sure to select delete. it does seem to be windows messing up. might have to wait for the signed version.. if there will be a signed one. odd thing is. i can install other unsigned drivers, for example bluetooth drivers for a ps3/ps4 pad..
i even completely cleared the driver store of aoc g2460pf drivers and tried that way, but no luck. will try some other ways tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom