Random Freezing

Associate
OP
Well I suppose if adobe still lets you download the free trial version of aftereffects from their website, then anybody else can try running the same kind of tests as me too :)

Tried everything else, playing 4k HEVC videos etc, and nothing else would reliably reproduce the failure case.

They do yup :) I installed premier pro trail about two weeks ago without any troubles I will add.

Associate
Well it froze again at 04:59am this morning. Which did not show up in BlueScreenView.

So will need to take some extra action but am not sure which option are really best. Either:

* Disable E2201 killer NIC in bios entirely, replace with new NIC card (hasnt arrived yet).
* Raise the CPU voltage from it's stock 1.2v auto-volting ---> something higher
* Reduce CPU clock speed by another 1 bin --> 4.4 GHz
* Look into RAM, remove 1 DIMM, swap banks, etc.

Associate
OP
Well it froze again at 04:59am this morning. Which did not show up in BlueScreenView.

So will need to take some extra action but am not sure which option are really best. Either:

* Disable E2201 killer NIC in bios entirely, replace with new NIC card (hasnt arrived yet).
* Raise the CPU voltage from it's stock 1.2v auto-volting ---> something higher
* Reduce CPU clock speed by another 1 bin --> 4.4 GHz
* Look into RAM, remove 1 DIMM, swap banks, etc.

BlueScreenView didn't pickup some of my crashes either on some occasions.

I have been running 4.4GHz for around 3 days and have had no crashes so far, although had one game (Counter Strike GO) end up not responding a few times, which I need to look into as it didn't do it before.

Good luck with your testing!

Associate
Well it froze again at 04:59am

Turns out I have a scheduled task daily at 5:00 am for windows update. It hasn't happened again yet. Next time I will post.

[EDIT]

OK. Had a load of browser tabs open in Firefox. It froze again @4.5 GHz... still thinking about the options ^^ but most likely need to reduce by 1x more bin --> 4.4 GHz.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been slowly overclocking each day, up to 4.1ghz at the moment and still no bluescreens for me. This includes me hammering both GPUs solid for the last few days aswell so it'll be interesting to see how high I can get before the problem returns.

Associate
I've been slowly overclocking each day, up to 4.1ghz at the moment

Yeah so what has your voltage setting been throught these issues? I ask b/c mine I didn't raise whatsoever (kept at the gigabyte's auto-volting, which is about ~1.2 volts). That may be the next variable I alter.

Since have already established the effect of reducing CPU speed being which is some inverse relationship to the frequency of occurrence e.g. 1/x, or else logarithmic, or exponential.

Associate
OP
Froze again at 10:03 am. Did not show up in BlueScreenView.

Can be eliminated as NOT related to the cause - as this newestfreeze occured whilst the Killer NIC was completely disabled in BIOS.

Its going to take some time to get this issue pinned down.

I keep having freezes from one game, which doesn't give me crash logs. Going to alter my OC today a little to see if i can stabilise this issue.

Would like to add that u have not had any blue screens running at 4.4GHz for around 6 days now :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah so what has your voltage setting been throught these issues? I ask b/c mine I didn't raise whatsoever (kept at the gigabyte's auto-volting, which is about ~1.2 volts). That may be the next variable I alter.

Since have already established the effect of reducing CPU speed being which is some inverse relationship to the frequency of occurrence e.g. 1/x, or else logarithmic, or exponential.
Above 4ghz I like to bump up to 1.3v, with watercooling it doesn't affect temps at all.

Would like to add that u have not had any blue screens running at 4.4GHz for around 6 days now :)
Thats great news!!

Associate
OP
4.3ghz has been rock solid for me all day. Still baffled by what caused this in the first place.

Nice! For me I heavily feel it was overclocking related, as i still haven't had a crash after overclocking to 4.4 for over a week now. I'm going to try to go higher at the end of this week when i have time :)

Associate
11-jan frozen at 00:05 am
11-jan frozen at 20:00 pm

new test results - this time for increasing the cpu voltage:

test:

install adobe aftereffects cc 2015

control:

cpu freq: 45 * 101.96 Mhz = 4.58GHz
cpu voltage: 1.2v (gigabyte's auto-volting)
fails every time

new:

cpu voltage: 1.3v
1,2,3,4,5 times OK, cant reproduce a failure yet

cpu freq: 46 * 100.00 Mhz = 4.6 GHz cpu core clock

test: prime95's 2nd test
"in-place large FFTs (maximum heat, power consumption)"

result:
allways failure - "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less then 0.4"

cpu voltage: 1.37v
result:
less infrequent failure (after 10-20 mins)
"FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less then 0.4"

and it seems this is ^^ skylake freezing bug...

So i'm going to go back to 1.3v, 4.6 ghz. And check for idle freezing after some days

Associate
How far will skylake cpus overclock? 4.6 seems pretty good at those voltages.

Well most dont go any farther than 4.5 / 4.6. The thing to realize about it:

The issue occurs infrequently in all skylake CPU. But the situation of overclocking (moving it allong the cpu freq / voltage curve). Then that situation increases the frequency of occurence a great deal.

With new setting 1.3 volt / 4.6 GHz it just froze again at 10:28 am, after only 2-3 hours. And in my prime95 test this morning, raising voltage even higher to 1.37v it still showed this skylake bug on 1 of the cores after about 10-20 minutes.

You can lower clocks OR raise voltage to increase the stability. However due to the silicon transistor characteristics of 14nm node, its far wider usable range to lower clocks than raise such narrow working voltage band.

But either way, we may assume that such actions only lower the rate of occurence, and not eliminate it. For that we must reproduce reliably now the bug. Then apply microcode update, then run same tests all again. Recording the results afterwards for comparison.

Associate
OP
11-jan frozen at 00:05 am
11-jan frozen at 20:00 pm

new test results - this time for increasing the cpu voltage:

test:

install adobe aftereffects cc 2015

control:

cpu voltage: 1.2v (gigabyte's auto-volting)
fails every time

new:

test: prime95's 2nd test
"in-place large FFTs (maximum heat, power consumption)"

result:
allways failure - "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less then 0.4"

cpu voltage: 1.37v
result:
less infrequent failure (after 10-20 mins)
"FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less then 0.4"

and it seems this is ^^ skylake freezing bug...

So i'm going to go back to 1.3v, 4.6 ghz. And check for idle freezing after some days

That seems good to me, like you said idle testing over the next few days will determine its stability, but its looking good so far :)

Associate
OP
How far will skylake cpus overclock? 4.6 seems pretty good at those voltages.

The majority are around 4.6 as mentioned above, but have seen some guys getting 4.7 to even 4.8. This is on the 6700k I'm unsure about the 6600k.

I managed to get 4.6 @ 1.3, but need to re test stability after this crashing issue.

Associate
OP
Just had a crash sadly after running a 4.4Ghz OC for over a week. System was just being used for light media use.

crash.png

Not sure if to keep messing with OC settings, or wait for the new BIOS version.

Back
Top Bottom