Good lease deals on less than great cars

Caporegime
Make sure you get some insurance quotes before you go ahead with the lease. I was only able to get a reasonable quote if the V5 was in my name, which some lease companies don't do. All other quotes I had with the V5 in the companies name were coming back at a daft amount.

But then again, insurance is different for everyone so might not effect you, worth checking though :)

Do you have some sort of exceptional circumstances? I can't fathom it making any significant difference in risk as far as the insurer is concerned .

Associate
Just got some insurance quotes, £720 for the Cupra in manual or DSG and £662 for the golf on my current insuarnce.

Where is the best place to get GAP insurance?

Also... maths check please, say I take the cupra manual at 5000 miles = £5616. Say I did an additional 6000 miles that would cost me £360?

The 8000 miles costs 6168 all inc so take away 360 (for the 6000 miles) its 5808.

So it works out cheaper to get the 5000 miles and then just pay extra even if you do more miles upto the 16000 mileage category?

Soldato
Get the DSG, I have a manual Leon FR and it's fine but first gear is useful only for getting the car moving from an absolute standstill and nothing more, so with the performance of the Cupra you'll find the manual very laborious I imagine.

Soldato
Do you have some sort of exceptional circumstances? I can't fathom it making any significant difference in risk as far as the insurer is concerned .

Nope! Not a good post code but I insured a GTR for 2.5 years for less than what I could insure a Jeep GC for. If I put the v5 and/or owner as myself instead of the lease company it halved the quote.

Associate
I really cant decide between the seat and golf :'(

I want to test drive but not sure if I will have enough time.

cupra = £5616 (5000 miles)
cupra dsg = £6306 (5000 miles)
golf r manual = £6760 (6000 miles)

Will the 4wd golf be better in wet conditions or would the cupra dsg be better?

I just want the best performance on regular UK roads where it can be wet and uneven. I only like acceleration on B roads and about roundabouts.

edit - im after urgent delivery tbh but can wait. Who did you lot say inquire with?

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Actually some insurers are very funny about it.

It's really an unacceptable practice on behalf of the lease firms - the registered keeper is not the legal owner, it is the person who is responsible for keeping the vehicle - this is surely the driver and not the lease company. The lease company own the car, but it's kept by the customer..

Soldato
I really cant decide between the seat and golf :'(

I want to test drive but not sure if I will have enough time.

cupra = £5616 (5000 miles)
cupra dsg = £6306 (5000 miles)
golf r manual = £6760 (6000 miles)

Will the 4wd golf be better in wet conditions or would the cupra dsg be better?

I just want the best performance on regular UK roads where it can be wet and uneven. I only like acceleration on B roads and about roundabouts.

edit - im after urgent delivery tbh but can wait. Who did you lot say inquire with?

Unless you get an "in stock" car (which will more than likely be older spec), then the wait for the Golf is around 3 months. Not sure about the Seat.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29732934 said:
Actually some insurers are very funny about it.

It's really an unacceptable practice on behalf of the lease firms - the registered keeper is not the legal owner, it is the person who is responsible for keeping the vehicle - this is surely the driver and not the lease company. The lease company own the car, but it's kept by the customer..

Yep it's odd, HP and I assume PCP will see the driver having the v5 despite it belonging to tge finance provider - I can't see why personal leasing needs to be different

Associate
Gutted about the 3 month wait. Drove a Golf R today 14 plate 300bhp manual, I am coming from a golf gti 1.8t 180nbhp map and driven a mgzr 120 there. I expected it to blow me away but it just didnt. It was very fast but I just dont know how to describe it. I expected to press the buy button immediately after driving it but if anything its making me want to try out the DSG version to see the difference in the seat 290 or even consider the fiesta st3 as everyone says they are so much fun and you can actually use the power that much more.

Dont get me wrong I didnt get the chance to put it into many corners or throttle down all the way so perhaps I need a better test but I went through the gears accelerating at different speeds and touched on the redline but it just seemed very underwhelming to how much I built it up. It was miles ahead of the cars I have recently been driving but not what I expected.

It seems like im putting it down im not at all as I would definitely drive it without any problems but I just expected a lot more or perhaps its because i didnt drive it all out? Or because it seemed so stable due to the 4wd?

Is the golf r much better than the seat dsg in the wet? thats what im most concerned about.

With a 3 month wait I might end up buying something outright for 10-15k instead.

For quicker delivery was it to just contact my local vw dealer and see if they will match online price?

Last edited:
Soldato
Gutted about the 3 month wait. Drove a Golf R today 14 plate 300bhp manual, I am coming from a golf gti 1.8t 180nbhp map and driven a mgzr 120 there. I expected it to blow me away but it just didnt. It was very fast but I just dont know how to describe it. I expected to press the buy button immediately after driving it but if anything its making me want to try out the DSG version to see the difference in the seat 290 or even consider the fiesta st3 as everyone says they are so much fun and you can actually use the power that much more.

Dont get me wrong I didnt get the chance to put it into many corners or throttle down all the way so perhaps I need a better test but I went through the gears accelerating at different speeds and touched on the redline but it just seemed very underwhelming to how much I built it up. It was miles ahead of the cars I have recently been driving but not what I expected.

It seems like im putting it down im not at all as I would definitely drive it without any problems but I just expected a lot more or perhaps its because i didnt drive it all out? Or because it seemed so stable due to the 4wd?

Is the golf r much better than the seat dsg in the wet? thats what im most concerned about.

With a 3 month wait I might end up buying something outright for 10-15k instead.

For quicker delivery was it to just contact my local vw dealer and see if they will match online price?

The wait is down to VW, so no matter where you order from, there will still be a wait. Unless they give you an "in stock" car (which may well be an older spec).

Soldato
Guys, are there any 'Go to' lease websites that have regular good offers on vehicles that I should check in on and bookmark? We are looking for another car at the moment and intend going for a PCH deal for the first time. No idea what car to go for, we've got a budget of up to £250 per month. Just trying to get some ideas. Ta.

Soldato
Tell me more. New to the concept of PCH. :)

£250 per month with an £8000 deposit, 4,000 miles per annum and 15p per mile excess.

Or £250 per month with £500 deposit, 12k miles per annum and 7p per mile excess

Which is the better deal?

Look at the cost over the whole term, as thats what you're actually paying

Back
Top Bottom