Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspended
Exactly - he clearly doesn't realise that attitudes like his are the precisely the reason a lot of people voted to leave. Some people never learn.

I voted to remain even though I'm in the demographic of the leave voters. Given I have no financial liabilities I doubt I will be hurt even if as expected things go quite badly for lots of people over the next few years.

I voted to remain because I thought it was the right thing to do both for the upcoming generation and the country as a whole. I am furious with those of my generation who quite frankly are bigoted ill-informed and haven't two brain cells to rub together who voted to leave purely out of some perverse form of self-interest.

Just wait and see though, these very same people will be the first to start squealing when things go badly for them.

Soldato
The current economic news shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, I think we all expected economic shock as a result of Brexit. But I'd actually say that things have (touch wood) been better than I expected so far. I was reading estimates of Sterling dropping 30% before the vote, but right now it's more like 10%.

I suspect the economy will be rough for the next few years, but once we're out of the EU and start to benefit from free trade with other countries, I could see things improving a lot.

Well can you share your insight with our new chancellor and those in the city of London responsible for our economic prosperity as they really do have no idea how all this is going to pan out. If you have the answers why aren't you in government?

Soldato
Not sure if anyone watched the Newsnight special with Evan Davis on Brexit with his many guests and first come first served ticket only audience?

It is looking very much now as though both sides are starting to align their views along some form of EU lite membership i.e. there are many things in the EU that benefit Britain and we will want to keep. The biggest bone of contention i.e. the single market and free movement of people. Again it looks as though there is going to be some sort of fudge in order for the UK to have access to that market.

The spin that's being put on this now is that the mandate for change was very narrow and two countries of the UK voted to remain. In order to satisfy all sides and keep the UK together compromise must be reached. There is even talk of once we finally have the bones of a deal putting it back to the electorate for a second vote.

Brexit might mean Brexit but what does Brexit actually mean?

Soldato
Not sure if anyone watched the Newsnight special with Evan Davis on Brexit with his many guests and first come first served ticket only audience?

It is looking very much now as though both sides are starting to align their views along some form of EU lite membership i.e. there are many things in the EU that benefit Britain and we will want to keep. The biggest bone of contention i.e. the single market and free movement of people. Again it looks as though there is going to be some sort of fudge in order for the UK to have access to that market.

The spin that's being put on this now is that the mandate for change was very narrow and two countries of the UK voted to remain. In order to satisfy all sides and keep the UK together compromise must be reached. There is even talk of once we finally have the bones of a deal putting it back to the electorate for a second vote.

Brexit might mean Brexit but what does Brexit actually mean?

I think ultimately there is too much money at stake for us to be allowed to really leave the EU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom