Caterham v Westfield

The_Dark_Side said:
are the MNR cars so difficult to assemble when compared to the other seven competitors?

Not at all, they pretty much fit the bill...

The difference is, a caterham or westfield is pretty much a mecanno set, its been so developed that its a bolt together job...

The others, MNR, Mac1, MK, etc etc require a little bit of "engineering" and use of basic "adjustment" tools such as files, drills etc

:cool:

Perywinkle said:
Love building my r1 Indy atm :) teaching me plenty mechanically and spreading the cost over a longer period.
Picked up my kit part built last may, hoping to have it on the road this year at around the 4.5 grand mark :)

Wont get much better bang for the buck than that!

Perywinkle said:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=59996

Have a read of that, give you an idea on what people have spent getting theirs on the road.

You will not find a better resource online if you are looking to build a seven rep.
Any problems or questions you have, there will be someone who can answer it.

Pez

Cheers for that. It is a great resource - looks like i need to save more cash!

If you buy bits as you go along it's a great way to do it imo, as I find it far harder to save than to buy the odd bit here and there.
Encourages you to do it cheaper too if you are on a limited budget, i've been fabricating bit and pieces myself, spending time hunting down bargains.

The same chap asking about MK Indy builds here
Fair few of them built for around the 5k mark, the MNR is a slightly better car imo, but then again a lot of the finished product depends on the builders attention to detail.
I've seen stunning MK's and dog rough MNR's and the same can be said for caterhams vs westfields

Pez

Last edited:
tonyyeb said:
So im looking at the MNR Vortx RT (http://www.mnrltd.co.uk/index2.html). What else is need with this starter kit? Engine, Gearbox.... what else?

What would the total cost of parts be for a working car?

Cheers

Buy a sierra donor with an engine and box, then you need wheels tyres, brake kit, and dash components... along with a wiring loom I think...

Can build the car for less than £6k if you are careful...

Dr Who said:
Try looking at some race results... the westfield XTR is overpriced, overweight and overslow...

http://www.t5developments.com/

That is the top car in the westfield XTR class at the moment... zx12r powered, not Busa either!

http://www.stuart-taylor.co.uk/

The Phaser is pretty swift as well

http://www.pellgenesis.com/

Not to mention the genesis Evo

They just dont seem to look as nice as the Westfield IMO,
And they seem to weigh the same as each other so i dont know how the westfield is over weight? :confused:

Westyfield2 said:
An old video, but shows how quick the Westfield XTR2 is: XTR2 Beats Zonda

Cracking stuff! I remember watching that when it was first on. If only i had 20k.

Ill have to settle for an MNR or Westy. I fancy building it from a Kit rather than buying one - but i like the sound of the Meccano Westy over the fabricating bits for the MNR. I'm no mechanic and would prefer the whole lot to be provided rather than stripping a Sierra. I guess the westy is the option for this then?

Any of the kit manufacturers can supply the donor parts, cleaned and reconned for you...

The amount of fabrication for an MK/MNR/Mac1 really is quite low, you just have to be handy with a drill, riveter and tinsnips really...

If you have a dremmel for the fibreglass things will go more smoothly, and the great thing about building the MK/MNR/Mac1 cars is you can really customise them to your spec and keep the costs down...

A typical Vortx RT is very basic to assemble and you can have it on its wheels in no time...

MNR fabricate all the exhaust manifolds, engine cradles, and even make lightweight upright kits using cortina geometry not sierra...

They have a welath of info on SVA'ing as well...

I can't fault MNR in any way, if I come back to the uk tho, I am gonna build a semi-race spec mini with Supercharged Civic Type R powah. Add a little weight by retaining the Civic's Air con, and have a daily driver that will be fast and useable..

Zip said:
They just dont seem to look as nice as the Westfield IMO,
And they seem to weigh the same as each other so i dont know how the westfield is over weight? :confused:

MNR's demonstrator was under 400kg's with a reverse box...

The XTR doesnt come standard with a reverse box, just a next to useless electric reverse, once you add the reverse box the weight goes up... the quoted weights for the cars you have seen are not the real race weights once they put the thin bodywork on, single strand looms, 13 inch wheels not over weight and skittish 17 inchers...

With some work the XTR can do everything the others can do on the track, but why not just spec it right first time?

Its a great trackday car, but needs help to be as good as some of the others, thats all I am saying, and its a lot more expensive than the others...

Even a Busa motor will cost you £5k in race trim with dry sump, thats twice the price of a zx12r!

:eek:

Dr Who said:
Even a Busa motor will cost you £5k in race trim with dry sump, thats twice the price of a zx12r!

:eek:

TBH if i had the cash to do it i would put the 1UZ-FE in like i said on the first page.
Maybe im a bit too power hungry for my own good though :o

Dr Who said:
Thats definitely gonna weigh more...

However, it would make for a nice endurance car...

Only if i had the money :(

It probably wouldnt be too hard to reach 1bhp per kilo with it either :p

It will be Heavyer then the Busa but for a V8 its pretty light :D

Back
Top Bottom