Hibernation + External Hard Drives

Associate
OK, well adding to my previous thread about losing data due to file system corruption I think I have found the most likely problem. I put this here so that others may take note. It seems like a harmless thing to do but I guess when I look back on it, my actions were pretty stupid!

The Warning: If you have two external hard drives, but only one plugged in at a time, do not use hibernate until the drive is switched off. I swapped the drives while my laptop was in hibernation and I suffered file system corruption. Windows seems to have a hissy fit, and unfortunately when you run CheckDisk on the drive (having taken it out of the external enclosure and attached to IDE/SATA bus) you end up with a mongrel file system (an amalgamation of the two drives bizzarely) :) Some of your data will be intact, but I have lost approximately 20-30GB each time it happened (twice).

It's the only explanation I can come up with. If anybody can back this claim up it would be nice to know for sure, or if there is a better excuse I can't find anywhere else, let's here it!

Soldato
Makes sense, as hibernation does a RAM dump onto the disk, does it not... so if there is some info stored in the RAM about the disk, it would make sense it corrupts... how odd.

Back
Top Bottom