KOTOR III

Caporegime
Been reading a bit more on this, and whilst the good news was that Bioware had gotten the project back from Obsidian, the bad news on the rumour mill is that KOTOR III will be...MMO.

Just search Kotor 3 mmo in google and thousands of pages return, this would be tragic to the series I think, I was really looking forward to Revan's return and finishing the pretty dire ending of KOTOR II. Not to mention new powers, new sabers, a new engine etc.

Just been playing through KOTOR II again, and I've managed to get two amazing lightsabers..but has anyone here ever found the Baram Ore Ingot? This has to be the rarest saber crystal in the game. Countless run throughs and I've never seen it. It adds 2-16 Fire damage.

Man of Honour
I'd hate for it to be an MMO, I'd much prefer it to be a full blown offline adventure, but we'll have to wait and see I guess as nothing has really been confirmed at all yet.

It would be more interesting for those MMORPG fans, as the KOTOR universe is so much more interesting than that of the Star Wars Saga universe (I know it's the same, but the 4000 year difference makes it a lot better).

I wouldn't mind them making a KOTOR3 AND a MMORPG based on the KOTOR series to take over Star Wars Galaxies maybe.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had no idea bioware was given the task of kotor 3. Where is the source of this info so i can check it myself?

As i was under the impression bioware is only making their own stuff now.

Associate
Some more bad gaming news. Hope its just rumours or as DaveyD says they make KOTOR3 and a MMORPG.

SkeeterPSA said:
Had no idea bioware was given the task of kotor 3. Where is the source of this info so i can check it myself?

As i was under the impression bioware is only making their own stuff now.
I've seen some info about this here

They say:
CVG is reporting that the latest issue of EGM has word that BioWare is working on a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic MMORPG. They also go on to state that Dragon Age will hit the Playstation 3 and that a handheld Baldur's Gate game may be in development...

BioWare has formed a new online team to create a Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic massively multiplayer online game, EGM reports.

No further details were reported in the rumour section of the US magazine but we've taped our fingers crossed. KOTOR is one of our favourite Star Wars games ever and the thoughts of an online MMO is, frankly, too much to take in.

The magazine also reports on a few other BioWare-related rumours. The current PC-exclusive Dragon Age is coming to PS3 and the DS currently in development at the mega-studio looks to be from the Baldur's Gate franchise. They're all rumours at the moment but we'll keep you updated with any announcements.
I realize these are just rumors, but the idea of the Knights of the Old Republic franchise migrating to an MMORPG has me very worried. I'm sure BioWare would do an excellent job with it, but I have little interest in paying a monthly fee to level grind in yet another Star Wars MMORPG. Give me another single player KotOR, please.

Caporegime
OP
I realize these are just rumors, but the idea of the Knights of the Old Republic franchise migrating to an MMORPG has me very worried. I'm sure BioWare would do an excellent job with it, but I have little interest in paying a monthly fee to level grind in yet another Star Wars MMORPG. Give me another single player KotOR, please.
Couldn't agree more.

Associate
While I agree that a KOTOR III as an offline game probably seems the most appealing, I wouldn't get too worried just yet. BioWare are one of the greatest developers in gaming history and if they WERE to make a KOTOR MMO; I'm sure they would make it so they don't dissapoint the existing fans.

We don't know if it will be monthly subs based, we don't know anything - lets just wait and see. It could be completely different to any MMO currently available.

Soldato
An MMO?! But everyone's going to be a Jedi. What would be the point?

The problem with the previous games was that everyone else, apart from your Jedi characters were surplus to requirements.

Don't get me wrong, I really did like the original (great twist) and the sequel could have been even better. Except for the 'see it a mile off' bad guy and the fact it wasn't finished at all (disgustingly so in fact :mad: ). The lightsabre customisation stuff was seriously good however, and almost saved it, almost...

But an MMO? Where are the spare players for these hateful things?

Soldato
Don't think anyone has actually said that KOTOR3 will be an mmorpg, just that they're doing a star wars mmog set in the kotor era.

I still think we'll see an offline kotor 3. Or maybe they'd just like to finish kotor 2 :p

Man of Honour
Sleepery said:
Don't think anyone has actually said that KOTOR3 will be an mmorpg, just that they're doing a star wars mmog set in the kotor era.

I still think we'll see an offline kotor 3. Or maybe they'd just like to finish kotor 2 :p

Yeah that was my understanding of it (although I haven't done a lot of research) - Bioware are supposedly doing a KOTOR MMORPG, but that doesn't stop Obsidian releasing KOTOR3.

Man of Honour
Lunatic Dreyfus said:
The problem with the previous games was that everyone else, apart from your Jedi characters were surplus to requirements./QUOTE]

This was one area I thought the sequel improved on, forcing you to split your party and hence use a wider variety of characters.

Maybe for KOTOR3 they could look at bumping up the number of active characters you can use on quests (say from 3 to 5). Would slow the game down a bit (i.e. more micromanagement required in each fight) but would also give more variety and promote the need for having a well-balanced party.

Soldato
Got back into Star Wars recently cos of the whole 30th Anniversary thing and dug out KotOR II and have gotten farther than I managed the previous time I played it ( not actually completed it! ) ...

Am stuck fighting a load of mercenaries early on around some restoration site - there are just too many of them !!

Caporegime
OP
Lunatic Dreyfus said:
The lightsabre customisation stuff was seriously good however, and almost saved it, almost...
Quite, KOTOR I with the Lightsaber stuff from KOTOR II...

They have a chance to make KOTOR III one of the best games ever made. Lets hope they don't blow it!

Associate
TheOtherOption said:
Got back into Star Wars recently cos of the whole 30th Anniversary thing and dug out KotOR II and have gotten farther than I managed the previous time I played it ( not actually completed it! ) ...

I really quite enjoyed kotorII. Like you I dug it out not too long ago and replayed it, finishing it for the first time. The final bits are clearly very rushed (Apparently Lucasart's fault) but the conclusion is reasonably satisfying and the rest of the game was a blast.

And yeah, hope kotorIII is not a MMOG. Pretty sure there have been rumours about this for a while though - I think more for a MMOG just based in the KOTOR universe but not actually kotorIII. I'm guessing if there is to be one, it'll be as well as kotorIII.

Soldato
Lunatic Dreyfus said:
An MMO?! But everyone's going to be a Jedi. What would be the point?

The problem with the previous games was that everyone else, apart from your Jedi characters were surplus to requirements.

Actually i found the best character in KOTOR 1 to be the wookie, if you level him up to be a dual sword wielding hardcase, then give him good weapons he was virtually indestructable, all i ever did for the final level was heal him when he needed it and he rampaged through all the thousands of Sith that were thrown at you.

Canderous was very good as a dual swordsman too, ditch the gun the moment he joins your party and start levelling him with swords and by the end of the game he was nearly as powerful as the wookie.

I'd love a kotor based mmorpg personally, although similarly to galaxies i'd make it very difficult to become a jedi.

Associate
melbourne720 said:
Definitely KOTOR III needs to be an offline game. A return of Carth and Bastila, Revan (of course), and that sarcastic robot from KOTOR I & II. Just make the game as big as possible, so it lasts a long time...
Totally agree.

Awesome sig chimaera. I loved Murray :p

Back
Top Bottom