The First FrreSync monitor for sale now?

Man of Honour
You still have to wait for the update to make it work though.

Looks like a pretty decently specced monitor if it lives upto the on paper capabilities.

Caporegime
:cool:

And so it begins...... AT LAST!

Lets hope we see 27" 2560x1440 VA/IPS and 29/34" 2560x1080/3440x1440 VA/IPS freesync screens soon!

Caporegime
Hmm interesting to see not that much cheaper than G-Sync though so will see how this goes.

Not much cheaper..... It is only about £110-140 cheaper than the gsync alternative :p

I would expect the prices to drop even further when we get more freesync screens in 2015 too.

Last edited:
Associate
Not much cheaper..... It is only about £110-140 cheaper than the gsync alternative :p

I would expect the prices to drop even further when we get more freesync screens in 2015 too.

Err it's currently on sale normally the price difference is 70 pounds so in my book that isn't to much expect we will see G Sync monitors go down in price as well.

Caporegime
The only gsync screen with the same specs as this freesync screen that I can see of is this one:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-065-AC&groupid=17&catid=948

Comparing the difference in price for both monitors when they are on sale is = £110

The difference in price for when they aren't on sale is = £140

And yes, we will get more gsync screens next year too although I don't think we are going to have anywhere as much choice as freesync monitors.

Associate
The only gsync screen with the same specs as this freesync screen that I can see of is this one:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-065-AC&groupid=17&catid=948

Comparing the difference in price for both monitors when they are on sale is = £110

The difference in price for when they aren't on sale is = £140

And yes, we will get more gsync screens next year too although I don't think we are going to have anywhere as much choice as freesync monitors.

Oops my bad didn't see that one was on sale as well. Will be interesting see which method works best I'm leaning towards G-Sync personally.

Soldato
Still a lot of tearing in that image....

MO-119-IY_90502_600.jpg

Soldato
wow, I think I might buy this. I have been looking to change my monitor for ages and I was very tempted by some of the deals that have been on here lately. But I was trying to be strong and hold out for freesync, this might just fit the bill.

Soldato
Specification:-
- Supports FREESYNC / Adaptive Sync (iiyama will offer a FREE upgrade to FREESYNC)

I've not read much about Freesync but that phrase implies it requires a firmware update for the monitor in order to support Freesync. That alone would put me off considering it but it's good to see manufacturers starting to support it.

Are Nvidia going to support Freesync or is it just an AMD thing at this point?

OcUK Staff
I've not read much about Freesync but that phrase implies it requires a firmware update for the monitor in order to support Freesync. That alone would put me off considering it but it's good to see manufacturers starting to support it.

Are Nvidia going to support Freesync or is it just an AMD thing at this point?

The monitor has to have the right scaler and processor in it to support Freesync, this model does as iiyama upgraded them, so for these to work just need a firmware update.

Other monitors will require new hardware though as as such upgrade services won't be offered.

Man of Honour
How do you actually flash the firmware on a monitor I've never done it before.

Depends on the monitor but most aren't end user flashable and usually involves some funky serial over VGA connection, opening up the monitor and/or a propitiatory USB interface.

I'm guessing in this case you have to send it to Iiyama at your own expense.

Associate
The monitor has to have the right scaler and processor in it to support Freesync, this model does as iiyama upgraded them, so for these to work just need a firmware update.

Other monitors will require new hardware though as as such upgrade services won't be offered.

Ah so it's similar to how G-Sync works still requires certain internals for it to work. Think I will wait on Freesync then and possibly get a G-Sync monitor now or wait a bit.

Soldato
If I have to send the whole monitor back at my expense then I will just wait until the true freesync monitors are for sale. It would cost a fortune to ship a monitor from Ireland.

Back
Top Bottom