Magners Cider... *drool*

Caporegime
Ok, after getting thoroughly fed up of bitter (and not really liking lager for getting drunk on) I decided to try some cider. For a few months I was drinking strongbow, which while still a bit naff tasting, was in my opinion infinitely preferable to beer for extended sessions: mouth taste was nowhere near as cack next morning, and the hangover was less. It just felt more refreshing too.

Anyway i'd accepted Strongbow, was beginning to get used to it, and while shopping at Threshers decided to try something different and almost by accident picked up a bottle of Magners. First taste: "ok". Second taste: "mm not bad". Third swig: "omfg this is The Lords Nectar". Seriously, I can't put the stuff down now. It's quite pricey (£8.50 for 8 cans) but I honestly don't think i've enjoyed a drink this much in ages. Anyone else into it? Are there any other ciders which even come close? :eek:

Associate
magners = nice its also sold under the bulmers brand.

i got 12 pint bottles from a wholesaler for around £12 lol

used to drink it all the time very popular over here in N.I

Permabanned
I like Magners but i prefer Bulmers

I was also a victim of the great advertising campaign, "put ice in it its great" !!!

Soldato
I think Strongbow & Magners are both really nice. I don't think that there is any taste difference between Magners and Bulmers, though... I had them both side-by-side and couldn't tell any difference. Maybe I'm just not qualified enough :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Strongbow is full of chemicals, drink it and get a stinking hangover, Magners is cider from the gods, so smooth its unreal but it costs a fortune. Drinking it at home is as expensive as drinking it at a pub.

Soldato
I think Strongbow & Magmers are both really nice. I don't think that there is any taste difference between Magmers and Bulmers, though... I had them both ide-by-side and couldn't tell any difference. Maybe I'm just not qualified enough :p

WHAT!!!! Bulmers is bitter, Mangers is not, its a lot smoother. I would take Stringbow over Bulmers and thats a sad fact.

Caporegime
OP
Strongbow is full of chemicals, drink it and get a stinking hangover, Magners is cider from the gods, so smooth its unreal but it costs a fortune. Drinking it at home is as expensive as drinking it at a pub.

But come on oh-so worth it... if you drink weekly then the cost doesn't matter when you enjoy your drink that much surely, there's only a few quid difference between Strongbow and Magners at the end of the say and it tastes 10x nicer!

Soldato

The same company makes them both so they're both as likely to be "full of chemicals" as each other to be honest :p

Bulmers is a reg'd trademark only in Ireland, in the UK they sell it under a different trademark (Magners). So I gather the bottles called Bulmers were imported from Ireland so is "Irish Cider" despite it being the same thing...

"Magners is identical to Bulmers in terms of product taste and characteristics and its branding, packaging and promotional strategy is based on the marketing approach, which has been so successful for the Bulmers brand in Ireland."

"Bulmers Ltd. manufacturers of both Bulmers and Magners, do not own the trade mark for Bulmers outside of the Republic of Ireland."

http://www.magnerscider.com/about-us/faqs.asp

So that's why I couldn't taste a difference ;)

Permabanned
I think Strongbow & Magmers are both really nice. I don't think that there is any taste difference between Magmers and Bulmers, though... I had them both ide-by-side and couldn't tell any difference. Maybe I'm just not qualified enough :p

Its Magners you need to be asking for :p

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Costco had an offer on the other day so we bought two boxes, so I have 24 pint bottles chilling in the fridge :)

Back
Top Bottom