• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my CPU borked?

Caporegime
Just got my new graphics card today and been playing tomb raider. After 10 minutes, it hung and a horrible buzzing noise sounded from the speakers. After restarting, I ran a prime 95 test and got these results. 2 minutes after this is completely froze but with no buzzing noise. I had to restart again.

I resat the heatsink with fresh paste about 3 months ago, so that is fine. I have also given it a good clean out the last couple of days. I'm a little stumped. Does it look like it's on it's way out?

Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
OP
Thanks for your help, but I think I'm heading off to general hardware for a recommendation. I dont want to much about with any more. It's frustrating me, it's very old and it would be nice to partner my 980Ti with something newer.

Thanks anyway.

Soldato
Well those high temps are directly related to the voltage being shoved through it. I suspect your cooler is doing the best it can, all things considered.

With manual overclocking you should be able to hit the same overclock with lower voltage and therefore lower temps. Of course that takes time and effort but it's worth it in the long run.

edit: I can see you're not very patient. :p

Caporegime
OP
Well those high temps are directly related to the voltage being shoved through it. I suspect your cooler is doing the best it can, all things considered.

With manual overclocking you should be able to hit the same overclock with lower voltage and therefore lower temps. Of course that takes time and effort but it's worth it in the long run.

edit: I can see you're not very patient. :p

I think the 980 has given me the upgrade bug. For personal reasons, I'm kind of living for the moment now anyway, so why not.

Soldato
Just been looking at your "spec me" thread and noticed the comment about the 8 year old PSU. I really would be upgrading that ASAP considering you now have a 980ti.

Caporegime
OP
Run prime for 15 minutes. Temps now topping out mid to high 70's and voltage is 1.2910v.

The overclock is obviously hurting it. I really dont like the cooler twist and lock fitting on the Antec. I struggle to fit it properly.

I really need to hit 4.4 at least or I will just bottleneck my 980Ti. What's a top notch, piece of **** cooler to fit that will sort me out?

Marc, I know mate. I'm ordering an 850w Superflower tomorrow. I've heard they are by far and away the best of the lot.

Associate
those temps are silly high for that speed. it should do 4.4 easily at around 1.28-1.31v
the auto overclocking thing probably set it to over 1.4v or something, do note that coretemp only shows the VID, NOT the actual voltage the cpu is getting. need to use hwmonitor or cpuz to see the real vcore.

Caporegime
I had two, one would do 4.7GHz at 1.38v, but the other would only do 4.3 with the same voltage. Depends on the individual chip.

With that said though, auto overclocks do tend to play-it-safe on the voltage side of things, so you could probably drop it to say 1.34v.

V F

V F

Soldato
Isn't 52c for one of the cores not awfuly poor for idle temperatures? Isn't it normally 20 - 30c?

Back
Top Bottom