AIO vs Air (Noctua coolers) - Hardware Canucks comparison

Associate
Great link - thanks.
I have been thinking about ditching my H110i due to noise/performance issues and I think I will now.
I can't stand noise in a system and, while my PC isn't really noisy, thanks mainly to the Fractal R4 case, the H110i is the noisiest component.
Plus, it is better performing. How could I not change?

Associate
Great link - thanks.
I have been thinking about ditching my H110i due to noise/performance issues and I think I will now.
I can't stand noise in a system and, while my PC isn't really noisy, thanks mainly to the Fractal R4 case, the H110i is the noisiest component.
Plus, it is better performing. How could I not change?

Same. The machine I have now is the quietest I've ever had but the H100i is the noisiest part. I think if I switched to an NH-D15 iit would pretty much be silent.

Soldato
I'm using a NH-D14 and was considering a move to an AIO. Probably wont now :p

I just want a cooler that looks prettier through a case window. Apparently the Dark Rock Pro 3 is a pain to install?

Soldato
Yeah DRP3, worst mounting system I have ever used, but meh, you only afix a cooler once, so once it's on it looks the part. Do wish they took a leaf out of Noctua in that regards, DH-15 is so simple to put on!

Soldato
The only time I've seen problems with DRP3 mounting is on 2011. All others if done from the back as instructed are not a problem at all.

Any of the top air coolers will cool as well as any CLC and do it at much lower noise levels. Many keep up with the best of CLCs or are only 2-3c warmer .. even with CLC making 5-8 times as much noise.

That's without even considering the potential of CLC failing and needing a complete cooler replacement .. with unusable system until new cooler is installed. With an air cooler system there is only the fan/s to fail .. which rarely happens, and system will usually at low load with no problems. Worst case is we need to use some other fan temporarily while waiting for proper replacement.

Soldato
What Disco P said.
Or at least what I assume he's saying. ;p
For most users a good air cooling system is the best way forward. Lower cost, less maintenance and performance so close to custom loop it's not even funny.

Soldato
What I was saying is that high end air solutions are incredibly effective.

They're also very quiet.

And relatively cheap.

IMO as long as you can physically fit them and can deal with the looks (coughbrownbeigecough) them there is no reason to go with an CLC.

Man of Honour
I ditched an AIO (pump noise was doing my head in) for a fairly basic but large semi-passive air cooler and there is minimal temperature difference - even though the heatsink isn't really designed for this usage :s (I just got so fedup one day I had to change it out and it was the only thing I had to hand and I've been to busy/lazy to change it as it works).

The only reason I went for an AIO really was that it is a lot easier to work around the CPU area than most heatsinks.

Soldato
My BeQuiet Dark Rock TF actually performed the same as my Rajintek Triton and was literally silent compared to the annoying hum from the rajintek pump. Not much noise to be made from a block of metal!

Only downside is its a real PITA to mount/dismount.

Soldato
What I was saying is that high end air solutions are incredibly effective.

They're also very quiet.

And relatively cheap.

IMO as long as you can physically fit them and can deal with the looks (coughbrownbeigecough) them there is no reason to go with an CLC.
Exactly.

'Cough,brown/beige,cough' are not any better than Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Cryorig R1 Ultimate & Universal, Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E & Extreme (Extreme is as good or better than CLCs .. also as loud), Le Grand Macho, True Spirit 140 Power / Rev.A, be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3, Alpenfohn Olymp, Silverstone HE01 (also as good or better and loud as CLCs) and about a dozen other top tier air coolers. In other words there are several other colors and looks to choose from.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Started with a air cooler but I wanted more so I brought an Antec H600 but to be honest I was a bit underwhelmed plus I wanted better temps for my graphics card.

So now I've gone for a cheapish custom setup and all I can say is WOW! Totally silent and best of all a maximum of 45degrees on my graphics card ��.

Unfortunately though it's still not enough I want more ��

Soldato
Started with a air cooler but I wanted more so I brought an Antec H600 but to be honest I was a bit underwhelmed plus I wanted better temps for my graphics card.

So now I've gone for a cheapish custom setup and all I can say is WOW! Totally silent and best of all a maximum of 45degrees on my graphics card ��.

Unfortunately though it's still not enough I want more ��
Don't we always want more? :p

Back
Top Bottom