Buyers remorse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Respectfully, I took him on face value. I did not want to discriminate against him, he seemed an ok bloke.

Lesson here for you don't take people you don't know at face value.

For what's it worth discriminating would be opening the door and refusing to sell to him - taking sensible precautions does not fall into that category.

Associate
OP
Lesson here for you don't take people you don't know at face value.

For what's it worth discriminating would be opening the door and refusing to sell to him - taking sensible precautions does not fall into that category.

I've been done. I am sure of it. The address given on the yellow slip

We selling cars, 66 duke street, Kettering, Northants, Nk1 2pu. The postcode is dud, not recognised. I have Google viewed the street that is Duke street and there is no car pitch. Maybe they are new and Google street view, dated. Maybe. Just maybe.

Also the VAT number he supplied has 10 number and the norm is 9. It has the letters JE in as well which is invalid. Great. What a damn fool.

Last edited:
Soldato
This trade policy crap is just that, as long as the registration shows on MiD and then if his number plate is scanned by police etc it will come up as insured, at least that's how i think it goes or similar, and then not be pulled over and done for no insurance, it is a scam that is growing.

Trade policies don't have specific cars listed.

They do not affect MID.

A garage doesn't register each and every car that goes through them. The policy just assumes that all cars driven by X for the job is insured (subject to some limits, e.g. you can't drive a porsche 918).

e.g.

https://platform.cglloyds.co.uk/quote/motor-trade-road-risks?_ga=1.15090293.254012892.1469812310

Caporegime
I've been done. I am sure of it. The address given on the yellow slip

We selling cars, 66 duke street, Kettering, Northants, Nk1 2pu. The postcode is dud, not recognised. I have Google viewed the street that is Duke street and there is no car pitch. Maybe they are new and Google street view, dated. Maybe. Just maybe.

Also the VAT number he supplied has 10 number and the norm is 9. It has the letters JE in as well which is invalid. Great. What a damn fool.

Lol at how confident you were just because you had a VAT number. Anyone could write out a vat number on the spot it's just assorted numbers.

Romanian - check
Cheap Car - check
BS stories - check

I would phone DVLA and tell them you have sold the car. I'd also call the police to let them know you are pretty sure the guy you sold the car to isn't insured. That way you have covered your own end. Make sure you get a reference number from the police.

Soldato
Tell him that there is a £100 buy in for the chance to get the money back.

Play a game of Blackjack, Texas hold 'em, or chess - whatever his preferred game is.

If he wins, he gets his £200 back. Loses, and he goes home with nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
He filled out the trade part of the logbook, he is legally entitled to do that. I am left with the 'yellow slip' which I send to DVLA to inform them that

1. I am no longer the keeper.
2. The car has been put into 'trade'.

When he sells the car he has the logbook to put the new keepers details on, this is correct, I phoned DVLA and they told me this is correct. I have cancelled the insurance.

You've done everything correctly. Not sure why you are getting stick.

The problems occur when people don't do the above.

Soldato
This all sounds decidedly dodgy. You should have kept the £100 after he reneged on the deal and sold to someone else.

Soldato
How many people are replying without reading the thread?!?! Quite funny to read :p

Not quite sure how you've been "done" OP. You sold the car. What he does with it now has no bearing on you. I'd just forward the details to the police.

Soldato
So alpha :p

I'd give the money back. Why make enemies when you don't have to. He's in the wrong, sure, nobody doubts that. But good luck expecting people to behave logically and rationally all the time, and never make mistakes :p

You ignored the rest of what I said. If you don't, give the cash back and avoid all aggro at your home address. Lol

I'd never sell anything from my home address.

Soldato
So not only did this guy not use his common sense and take his card reader with him,He also didn't check to see if he could afford the cars insurance before wasting your time.

To be honest,he shouldn't deserve the deposit back for all the hassle hes caused you..Although like mentioned,Id offer him £50..for the time wasting hes done + you having to drop him off.

Soldato
Just give it him back. If you lost a sale etc then maybe...but the lad clearly made a mistake. We need to be nice to each other. The world is a better place for small gestures.

Associate
OP
Just give it him back. If you lost a sale etc then maybe...but the lad clearly made a mistake. We need to be nice to each other. The world is a better place for small gestures.

It's along thread I know, that question is now no longer relevant as he bought the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom