Asset Management System

Soldato
Wooo!

Next Tuesday I am starting my new job after being in my current one for 8 years.

The first task they want me to do is deploy an asset management system for the computer equipment.

At the moment in my current job we use GLPI and OCS Inventory.

What do you guys use?

I don't know the particulars yet of the network until I start, but they currently outsource their IT, but are bringing me on board to be the in house IT guy. :eek:

50% of my role will also be training as a Linux Admin. ;)

P.s - Most likely needs to be free. But would like to hear about paid solutions if there are any good ones you guys use.

---

Anyone have any experience with Spice Works?

Last edited:
Associate
I was about to say look at spice works :). Just make sure it doesn't send your AV into a frenzy when you deploy it and remotely scan computers :)

Nox

Soldato
OP
Spiceworks..... I'ts found about 30 of the 60 machines on the network.

Also of the 30 it's found it doesn't display any information about the machine.

Do you think I'll have more luck if I deployed the agent?

---

I just need something that works! Might take a look at Lansweeper.

Do you think there is any issue having both Spiceworks and Lansweeper running on the same machine, for a evaluation purposes?

---

First things first, I'm going to create a GP to open up the windows firewall and see if that helps.

I'm assuming, that switching to Lansweeper will probably just have the same issues as Spiceworks if the firewalls on the machines are set to block WMI and ICMP.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Need some help here.

I deployed LanSweeper last week to do an inventory of our internal network with machines running Win7 x64.

The automated scan picked up around 15 of our 60 odd Pc's. I've been running the connection tester and the general issue is that TCP port 135 is closed (EPMAP) it also complains about the RPC server being unavailable.

I created a GPO to open up port 135 as well as checked that the Windows Management Instrumentation WMI-In is Enabled and Allowed for the Profile called Domain.

I have verified that the GPO is indeed being applied.

However Port 135 remains closed and the asset cannot be scanned.

This must be a very common issue.

Any ideas what I'm missing here?

The other crazy thing is that some of the machines which don't scan also don't have their firewalls on at all.

Thanks

Associate
However Port 135 remains closed and the asset cannot be scanned.

This must be a very common issue.

What happens when you Telnet to that port? Connection refused means it's still a firewall issue somewhere, a timeout or something else probably means that nothing is listening on that port.

If nothing's listening it might mean that the WinRM or WMI service isn't running on the client.

Back
Top Bottom