Best way to connect HP SAN to servers

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

We've got a current system of 3x Hyper-V host servers, all running around 4 virtual machines.

We're looking to adding an HP 2040 SAN to this, with SFP direct attach cables.

I assume we just need to get a dual SFP into each server, and cable San to server 1 and Server 2 for example on one channel, then 1 to 3, 2 to 3, 1 to 2 using the 2nd channel?

Thanks,

Mal

Soldato
MSA 2040's come in SAS, iSCSI or FC flavours.

I assume if you're using SFP DAC cables you're doing 10GbE iSCSI?

You can't daisy chain them as you've described.

Each controller has 4 ports, so you need a dual port NIC in each server with one connection to each controller. Same if you went FC, although I don't think you can use DAC cables with them, you'd need SPF's for each end and a fibre lead. You don't need a fibre switch.

Man of Honour
OP
Hi Blueboy, thanks for that.

I think I've confused myself a little, from what I've seen the DAC cables are SFP at each end aren't they?

So I'd need a dual port SFP+ card in each server?

Thanks,

Mal

Soldato
DAC cables are a pair of SFP's joined by copper cable, yes. Max length HP sell is 7M.

A dual port 10GbE SFP+ card in each server will be fine.

You can get RJ45 SFP's for the MSA which will allow you to run it over Gigabit copper if you don't want/need 10GbE.

Associate
The DAC cables would have an SFP optic at each end. Each controller on the MSA 2040 has 4 "host" ports which can be used to connect your servers to. With dual controllers you'd want each server connected to 1 port on each of the controllers. Leaving you with 1 spare host port per controller. You can go with either 2 x single port SFP+ adapter or a dual port SFP+, depends on level of redundancy you want.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom