Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Can other devices on the network play the videos from your computer? You might want to check that Large Send Offload is disabled in the network adapter settings, with it enabled it will cause slow transfer speeds.

Ah! This was an issue I had run into in the past but had assumed the RPi was at fault, thanks for the tip!

maj

maj

Soldato
<image>

How I've done it in Windows 7.

Ah thanks. Temporarily I'm having to stream everything via wifi (even from router to my pc) so those settings won't be much use to me at the min but once I have everything connected via ethernet I'll be good to go.

Was hoping there was a similar trick for wifi cards. Guess there's only so much you can do to get best performance from wireless and I can live with it for now.

Soldato
Hi everyone,

I've had a RasPi for a year or two now and other than a games emulator and running OpenElec I've not really done a lot with it, however I now have a project in mind.

I want to use it to build a photo/video booth for events and weddings. Something I can set up in a small booth that has a nice LED light panel.

So for photos groups of up to 6 people come in, sit down, see themselves on screen then press a button. Counts down from 4 then takes a photo, repeat X times giving them a chance to take a few. Not sure if i'll be printing on site yet but at least they'll need saving to a hard drive for online use.

For videos, people come in, sit down and press a button, countdown starts and video starts recording, button press to stop recording. This is then used online etc.

Requirements are a decent camera, button press + countdown + storage and maybe printing. A screen so people can see themselves.

I'd also like to be able to connect with a laptop if needed to check it is saving files properly or for printing.

Any one any advice on equipment to use, links to other projects that may help etc. As I said, total noob with some basic python programming.

Art

Art

Associate
This project seems to cover all of the still-image stuff, I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to add the video. If you Google Raspberry Pi Photobooth a lot of stuff comes up.

Soldato
Been testing Moode Audio on my Pi2 which is a great alternative to Rune and Volumio plus it a bit more up to date

2ahzfc5.jpg

http://moodeaudio.org/

Ps it's safe to use test code as i've used the last two without any problems

Art

Art

Associate
Has anyone ever driven WS2812 RGB LEDs (aka "neopixel" type, not ordinary RBGs) from the Pi? I've bought a few to try it out and I'm curious how other people have done it.

Associate
Been testing Moode Audio on my Pi2 which is a great alternative to Rune and Volumio plus it a bit more up to date

http://moodeaudio.org/

Ps it's safe to use test code as i've used the last two without any problems

Just moved over to Moode Audio after reading this post, took me a little while to get my head round the configuration for DAC+ with Airplay but I like it!

It's very slick after being on Volumio 1 for so long :)

Soldato
Hi everyone,

I've had a RasPi for a year or two now and other than a games emulator and running OpenElec I've not really done a lot with it, however I now have a project in mind.

I want to use it to build a photo/video booth for events and weddings. Something I can set up in a small booth that has a nice LED light panel.

So for photos groups of up to 6 people come in, sit down, see themselves on screen then press a button. Counts down from 4 then takes a photo, repeat X times giving them a chance to take a few. Not sure if i'll be printing on site yet but at least they'll need saving to a hard drive for online use.

For videos, people come in, sit down and press a button, countdown starts and video starts recording, button press to stop recording. This is then used online etc.

Requirements are a decent camera, button press + countdown + storage and maybe printing. A screen so people can see themselves.

I'd also like to be able to connect with a laptop if needed to check it is saving files properly or for printing.

Any one any advice on equipment to use, links to other projects that may help etc. As I said, total noob with some basic python programming.

I used a raspberry pi for my wedding photo booth last May. I am a total noob with python too but I got it to do what I needed, namely interface with a dslr (using the awesome gphoto).

The script ran on boot and waited for an interrupt (big button) which started a countdown and then took 2 photos and saved them in a folder.

That folder synchronized every couple of minutes with a tablet sitting on a table next to the booth. Got some fantastic results.

Last edited:

Art

Art

Associate
So the Raspberry Pi 3B has been all but confirmed with an accidental leak in the Magpi subscription ad at the end of the Sonic Pi Guide (seems to have been removed now), and a filing with the FCC.

Changes known about so far:
  • 1.2GHz, 64-bit Broadcom CPU
  • On-board Wifi
  • On-board Blutooth
  • Most likely the same USB2/Ethernet as the Pi 2B.

Rumours which have been right so far suggest it'll be ~$60/~£43, and will come out during the Pi's birthday celebrations (this weekend/Monday).

On-board WiFi/BT will be nice, but I'm a bit disappointed the USB/Ethernet doesn't look like it'll be any faster. It's the one thing which has really bugged me about the Pi2.

Associate
I'd heard rumours of the Pi 3 and was definitely interested, it really depends if it will be compatible out the box with previous software.

Most developers are running Pi 1/2 versions but somewhere along the way they'll have to drop development just to keep upto date (Volumio/Moode/Rune/RetroPie and so on).

If the software I use now will work ok then I'll be getting one on release I think.

Art

Art

Associate
Someone just found the 3 listed in a catalogue (don't really want to link it, because now that OcUK sells Pi stuff I guess they're technically a competitor? Found it via Reddit.)

• Quad core 1.2GHz BCM2837 CPU
  • 1GB RAM
  • BCM43143 Wifi (802.11 b/g/n, 150Mbps, BT isn't mentioned in chip specs but it's in there somewhere?)
  • USB2
  • Same size/shape as the 2B.

The most interesting thing is that the bare board is listed at £26.38(!).

Soldato
So it's basically a Pi2 with built-in WiFi? Meh... I can see why that's a good thing but sadly it won't really help with anything I'd use it for (I don't think)

Give us a way to add a bank of SATA ports and/or a faster network port and I'd be all over it though!

Back
Top Bottom