How to setup a home network to get internet in each room,

Soldato
How to setup a home network to get internet in each room,
Im getting my house done up and i want to have easy access to high speed internet in each room,

Caporegime
I'd get at least two (if not 4) ethernet cables run to every room you might have a use for an internet connected device, even if that's only a future possibility of a device.

If you are getting the whole thing redecorated (which I assume you are, given the thread in the Home & Garden section), I'd also get some cables run to the ceiling, somewhere around the middle of each floor (ground, first, second possibly?) where you can put a ceiling mount Wireless Access Point.

This way you should get decent WiFi signal around the whole house, and you'll have the option to cable up should you need/want to.

Get all the cables run back to a central point, somewhere near the master socket (if you are using FTTC/P, otherwise to wherever your WAN connection enters the building if you are using VM or similar), and terminate them on a decent patch panel. Couple that with a decent 16-24 port Gigabit Switch and you'll be golden.

Permabanned
All perfectly valid, but a million miles from the OP's other £20 plan here.

Budget and requirements need to be properly assessed.

lol I can't take this thread seriously now.

Budget is flexible, what the **** does that mean? Before people write up what you need, how your walls/floors are constructed maybe you should do a quick search and see what is involved as there are many threads on this.

Soldato
See a power socket? Put an ethernet socket there too. Plan on having 4 or more ports - or a separate switch - near the TV: you'll need one port for the TV, one for the DVR / Sky box, one for the BD player, and one for the games console. I have 8 ports in use in that area (TV, DVR, BD, 3x mini server, Fire TV, mini PC).

Associate
2013 I doubt you have much experience with routing cables around the home? I mean with drilling, channelling out walls, running solid/flexible conduits if/where/preferably required, knowing the easiest routes to run the cables - are the walls solid or hollow, can you get the floorboards up and get into the loft and cellar? Most people dread doing it the easy way of just clipping the cables onto skirting boards and between floors.

Its a mammoth of a task for someone who doesn't know what they're doing and you'll spend ages doing the work. Its much harder work than just building a computer.

Also do you have the tools to do it all? Could be more worth while paying someone to do it for you.

Don
I would find an electrician to run the cables if you're not sure.

At the very least you'll need the following..

Tools
Punchdown tool link
Side cutters/snips link
Cyclops stripper (nice to have) link
Ethernet cable tester link
Ultra fine sharpie for marking cables as you install them

Parts
Cat6 RJ45 modules and faceplates (buy CCS branded stuff)
Cat6 24 port patch panel (buy CCS branded stuff)
Cat6 cable 305M reel (buy CCS branded stuff)
100x2.5MM black cable ties (x100 pack)

Metal backbox/drylin backbox/surface mount backbox (multiple of whichever types you'll need)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks blend,

@a1ex2001 Im thinking of getting a network guy to come in and do it if I find its too big A job, but I want to do my own research before.

Ive done basic networking before, used cat5 made the cable to network a office using a netgear router some time ago, not very clean but it did the job.

I just wanted to check how its done properly the problem was ive never networked a house and my house is mostly brick, I could use the floors.

Associate
Competent sparky will know how to run network cables properly. I've worked with a few that don't, and treat it like twin/earth.. Having a break in the cable somewhere after running it isn't fun!...

Make sure you get high grade network cable especially if your burying it in walls/floors for obvious reasons. (i've used shielded Excel cat6 prevously)

Soldato
Also have a good think about the location you're going to run all the connections back to. Even if you might be only starting with a small router in the future you might be adding rack mount switches or even a small home server or NAS. Ideally you want a dry well ventilated location where noise won't be an issue.

And make sure it has plenty of power, ideally a dedicated ring main.

When planning the location of sockets don't forget a few for wireless access points.

Soldato
OP
Also have a good think about the location you're going to run all the connections back to. Even if you might be only starting with a small router in the future you might be adding rack mount switches or even a small home server or NAS. Ideally you want a dry well ventilated location where noise won't be an issue.

And make sure it has plenty of power, ideally a dedicated ring main.

When planning the location of sockets don't forget a few for wireless access points.

I have a micro server which at the moment i keep near the main pc, thanks for the suggestion. any good place to keep the main modem? for now i keep it near the main pc.

Back
Top Bottom