Billion 7800DXL Failover

Soldato
Hello,

We are soon to have a 4G Router and Antenna installed at work so we actually get something that resembles internet. What I'd like to do is the following but having a bit of trouble trying to work it out.

4G Router into 7800DXL EWAN port
ADSL connected into 7800DXL

I want the EWAN to take priority and should there be no internet connection available then for it to failover to the ADSL. I've looked into the 'Default Gateway Interface List' but I only seem to have the options of pppoa0 or USB3G0 I have no eth0 or anything that resembles it.

Could anyone help me please? If not a router that would do the job but not enterprise costs.

Thanks

Soldato
What device is handling the ADSL connection? Is it the Billion or an additional box?

If the Billion is taking care of it then the PPPoA connection will equate to the ADSL connection. The fact that you meant you want an eth0 or similar suggests to me that there's an additional box handling the ADSL line with an ethernet cable between that box and the Billion.

Soldato
OP
The 7800DXL is handling the ADSL. The eth0 connection with be connected to the 4G Router which I want to take priority and the ADSL to be backup.

Don
Edgerouter Lite.

It has 3x ethernet ports.

You can set 2 of them to be WAN ports (either in failover mode or as 'both' on, I'd suggest using both)

If you flash it to the latest firmware, it will have wizards to set this function up for you.

Then connect the 3rd port to your switch etc

Soldato
OP
Edgerouter Lite.

It has 3x ethernet ports.

You can set 2 of them to be WAN ports (either in failover mode or as 'both' on, I'd suggest using both)

If you flash it to the latest firmware, it will have wizards to set this function up for you.

Then connect the 3rd port to your switch etc

Thanks does this load balance or how does it route both the WAN devices?

EDIT/ Only reason I ask is the ADSL is painfully slow (1meg) so this is only to be used if the other connection drops.

Last edited:
Soldato
In the original post you say 'soon to have'. Does this mean you haven't got anything plugged into the EWAN port?

There's a chance something needs to be connected to enable the options you're looking for.

Soldato
OP
In the original post you say 'soon to have'. Does this mean you haven't got anything plugged into the EWAN port?

There's a chance something needs to be connected to enable the options you're looking for.

Thought the same but have tried with a separate line/router we have here connected into the EWAN port and setup so its working but it still doesn't give me the option :(

Soldato
OP
Just an update on this, 4G is now installed a nice 50meg down and 9meg up! All working through the Billion but without the failover.

Now I've been looking into the Draytek 2860, mainly because I'd like to keep the amount of devices down. One thing though with our 4G router it has data limits set, so once it hits these will the Draytek be able to failover to ADSL or will it think the 4G router is still working? What I'm trying to work out in a long winded way is does the Draytek try and ping out on the specific WAN and it if receives no response it swaps over to ADSL?

Back
Top Bottom