US University offers counselling to students after Sombreros worn at Tequila Party

Soldato
Errr....what the **** is going on in the world.

I have read some pretty stupid **** in my time (Thanks to GD :p) but this has to be the most inane thing I have ever come across

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...t-tequila-themed-birthday-party-a6915521.html

A university offered counselling to students “injured and affected” by a group of classmates who wore small sombrero hats to a tequila-themed birthday party.

After photos of party-goers wearing the miniature sombreros, several inches in diameter, appeared on social media, administrators at the college immediately sent out multiple emails notifying students about an “investigation” into a possible “act of ethnic stereotyping”.

The General Assembly of Bowdoin students issued a “statement of solidarity to stand by all students who were affected by the ‘tequila’ party”. The party hosts are facing disciplinary action.

It just gets worse

The college has even offered offended students “safe spaces” and counselling to help them deal with the emotional impact of the miniature sombrero party.

I just despair for the human race, what on earth is this next generation going to be like...

The Bowdoin student newspaper reports that one of the tequila party’s hosts has been placed on “social probation” until March 2017, and must participate in an “educational program” and “active bystander training”. She has also been told to move out of her room and has been banned from this year’s Spring Gala.

Meanwhile, two members of the college’s student assembly are facing “impeachment proceedings” because they attended the bash.

Student Bill De La Rosa told a meeting of students this weekend that he felt the two should be permanently removed from the student body. “What these students did [is they] tainted the experiences of college students, first year students on this campus,”

What a prat Bill De La Rosa is...

Caporegime
The row, which erupted at Bowdoin College, a private liberal arts college in the US state of Maine,

Three months ago students at Oberlin College in Ohio objected to their canteen serving sushi, describing it as “cultural appropriation”. The students at the liberal arts college were widely mocked on social media.

im seeing a pattern :p

Soldato
Surely if they really wanted to pretend to be Mexican, they would have had naps on their porches instead, as they were too lazy to go to the party.

If they had wanted to pretend to be Mexican they would have shot everybody to pieces and left a row of severerd heads on the side of the road!

Caporegime
Sounds like someone needs to check their privilege!

someone needs to flip this against them and start a campaign to make 'cisgender' deemed a derogatory term - then they can be censored and cis people will need a 'safe space' away from the 'non binary' and 'queer' people....

Soldato
Sounds like someone needs to check their privilege!

9ViXqm9.jpg

Perhaps it's too early in the morning but what does that form even mean?

Also, to impersonate a Mexican you need a big handle bar moustache so how could women manage that unless it's some hairy lesbian? (I think I have offended a fair few people with that paragraph, eat your heart out Bowdoin university!)

Last edited:
Caporegime
It is actually a thing quite prevalent in North American campuses - 'cultural appropriation' they call it. They've kind of extended the legitimate criticism of 'blackface' and applied it to any fancy dress costumes depicting any group they think deserve special status - it causes **** storms every Halloween.

For example dressing as a European medieval Knight regardless of your ethnic background is absolutely fine - dressing as a Native American warrior complete with feathers though is 'cultural appropriation'. Dressing as a bad stereotype of a French person or dressing in German/Austrian Lederhosen for an impromptu Beer festival - no problem but having a tequila party with sombreros and ponchos - zomg 'cultural appropriation'.

Soldato
OP
It is actually a thing quite prevalent in North American campuses - 'cultural appropriation' they call it. They've kind of extended the legitimate criticism of 'blackface' and applied it to any fancy dress costumes depicting any group they think deserve special status - it causes **** storms every Halloween.

For example dressing as a European medieval Knight regardless of your ethnic background is absolutely fine - dressing as a Native American warrior complete with feathers though is 'cultural appropriation'. Dressing as a bad stereotype of a French person or dressing in German/Austrian Lederhosen for an impromptu Beer festival - no problem but having a tequila party with sombreros and ponchos - zomg 'cultural appropriation'.

It's just insane isn't it....:o

Associate
Nobody is more fragile than students here, who seem to spend their whole lives being offended, seeking out things that might offend others, and basically being immature and childish.

Only today a Cambridge college has cancelled it's annual Jules Verne around the world in 80 days party because - "it could be construed as "cultural appropriation" if students wore clothes of a culture they did not belong to."

Perhaps if they actually did some work instead of being continually drunk and drugged up they might have less time to be offended.

Soldato
Hang on, am I not allowed to wear a sombrero because I'm white? What if the sombrero is a matter of necessity, if I were of particularly pale complexion and had need to be out in the midday sun, and a sombrero was the only headpiece available to protect myself from a potentially deadly case of sunstroke, am I still a terrible person?

Modern life is so confusing. I'm just going to wear whatever I want, in whatever context I want, and deal with the consequences in 50 years time when cultural appropriation is deemed a warcrime and I'm hauled in front of the Hague.

Soldato
Surprised my brothers 21st mexican themed party didn't get SWAT raided. Not even going to mention the Indian themed party I went to a few years back...

Last edited:
Soldato
The left have no big fights to win anymore so to stamp their authority the next generation of progressives have to really push into allsorts of new areas that for anyone over about 30 will find totally absurd.

Caporegime
The left have no big fights to win anymore so to stamp their authority the next generation of progressives have to really push into allsorts of new areas that for anyone over about 30 will find totally absurd.

FWP_This_Is_a_Crisis.jpg

Back
Top Bottom