D&D 5e, starting a game soon, any DM's have tips?

Associate
Yeah was a good laugh, especially the songs and breathy's general ****ing around xD

Cheers again for setting it up Alex, glad we're gonna go again to finish up the story!

Soldato
Good game folks :D

It's always nice to team up with an entirely new group of players to see how everyone else does it and I see the group dynamics are repeated here: one maniac, a couple of headstrong smash-em-up types, two cowardly custards and one person trying to solve the mystery :D

And two natural ones in the first group of rolls is...standard :D

Soldato
I'm pushing for a Barbarian class change for the follow up :p:D

I'm still impressed with the cage roll and Alex's shock at the follow up, fair play to Eberk for the assist with the pit and the cage :D I have quite the collection now though, moustache beard, cape and my necklace :D

If we can pencil in the follow up that would be great, such a fun change being the player and not the DM for once.

Really enjoyed last night even though all I seemed to do was hit stuff with axe and leap over boxes in an elegant yet threatening manner

To be fair level one ability wise for fighters is pretty basic until your abilities start unlocking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good game folks :D

It's always nice to team up with an entirely new group of players to see how everyone else does it and I see the group dynamics are repeated here: one maniac, a couple of headstrong smash-em-up types, two cowardly custards and one person trying to solve the mystery :D

And two natural ones in the first group of rolls is...standard :D

What can I say, the wizard likes to learn and be a bit more careful after his first bad experience :D

Although I think I need to check out the magic system a bit more. I thought that things like magic missiles needs a roll to hit but looking again I think they hit automatically (like sleep did). In which case I may be more useful next time...

Permabanned
OP
things like magic missiles needs a roll to hit but looking again I think they hit automatically

Yeah Magic Missiles do auto hit (there are some spells that totally negate them though), great for getting in some needed damage when something is on its last leg. Also really good for trying to break someones concentration on a spell, as its auto hitting and causing 3+ concentration checks.

Sleep seems crazy powerful, at lower levels, since there is no save allowed on it.

Soldato
Only issue (I use the term loosely) with magic missile is that it is a level 1 spell as opposed to cantrip and at times I struggle to see the benefit of it for its low damage out (3d4+3) I mean you can bash it out with a 2nd or 3rd level slot but even then you are only throwing more missiles not upping the damage. I'm far from a balance/meta game expert but I always think it would be better suited as a cantrip with a constitution/wisdom save attached to it.

Permabanned
OP
Only issue (I use the term loosely) with magic missile is that it is a level 1 spell as opposed to cantrip and at times I struggle to see the benefit of it for its low damage out (3d4+3) I mean you can bash it out with a 2nd or 3rd level slot but even then you are only throwing more missiles not upping the damage. I'm far from a balance/meta game expert but I always think it would be better suited as a cantrip with a constitution/wisdom save attached to it.

Magic Missiles has always been a level 1 spell though, I think its too powerful to be a cantrip as is but watering it down with a constitution save (a wisdom save wouldn't make sense IMO) means that when used for its main purpose, breaking concentration, the defender is making far to many rolls... you have 1 for the initial saving throw, then you have another for each missile to break concentration. Also it would mean an auto hitting cantrip, which would be crazy. Train up 1000 peasants to learn a level 0 cantrip, all cast it at a dragon at once, insta hit, dead dragon.

I think its at level 11 where Magic Missile is out done by cantrips, when cast at level 1 (damage cantrips get boosted on certain level ups) but only in terms of damage. But also need to remember that Magic Missiles can be directed at X targets, where X is the number of missiles you have, a pretty useful ability.

Again though, back to the point, Magic Missile is used as a concentration breaker, forcing the target to take 3 DC10 Concentration saving throws.

Back
Top Bottom