Ford Fiesta Red Edition

Associate
I am finally buying my own car and well the budget started out at £10k but as slowly crept up to what now is £12k. I was at a ford dealer today and I have my eye on a Pre-Reg Ford Fiesta Red Edition.

Now I know this is a baby brother of the ST range but the budget couldn't really stretch and I know the running costs would be quite a bit more with the ST Model (Tax/Insurance).

Sat in the car and loved it right away. Only thing I was slightly disappointed with was that the dash was a bit old fashion that some of the cars on the market. But as long as it has Bluetooth to listen to my music via my phone then I am happy :). I also noticed a small scratch in the paint work on the driver’s side and I will try and use that to knock a few more quid off the price.

They offered me gap insurance plus insurance for body work and then spill protection...Seemed like a rip off?

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with this model?

Here is the listing for the car: http://www.trustford.co.uk/used-cars/104705/ford-fiesta/

Soldato
How much more expensive would an ST be to insure?

12k would easily get you an ST with plenty of change to pay the difference in running costs?

Last edited:
Soldato
I assumed for £12k you're paying for the performance as opposed to the kit, but 9 seconds 0-60 seems quite slow for a tiny 140hp hatchback with no toys.

Associate
OP
I don't think the used car market is as strong in N.Ireland than what it would be in the rest of Britain.

Here is the cheapest ST I could find after a quick look: http://bit.ly/2ccW9yi

Insurance on the ST-2 Model above is starting at around £760 where I was getting quoted £450 on the Red Edition.

Soldato
I am finally buying my own car and well the budget started out at £10k but as slowly crept up to what now is £12k.
About 3 or 4 weeks weeks ago when I started looking around for a new car to buy I set myself a very max budget of 8k (I didn't really want to payout more then around 4k to 5k for just a car)

The car i ended up buying in the end cost 23.5k...:o

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think the used car market is as strong in N.Ireland than what it would be in the rest of Britain.

Here is the cheapest ST I could find after a quick look: http://bit.ly/2ccW9yi

Insurance on the ST-2 Model above is starting at around £760 where I was getting quoted £450 on the Red Edition.

I wouldnt be paying full up price for this one when it has crappy aftermarket Fox alloys instead of the proper ST ones... This WILL affect resale value when you trade it in.

Soldato
I bought a 15 plate Fiesta ST-2 with style pack (15k mileage) for £12,300 just recently. None of the extra toys that the ST-3 has but I had a budget of 12k like you and was set on having one in white. A red ST-3 near us is only £12,700 from trustford.

Point is, you can do better. Get an ST if you're set on a Fiesta with that kind of budget :)

Soldato
Just get an ST, no point in trying to convince yourself to make do with the lesser car. The red edition isn't and will never be an ST competitor so if that's what you really want in your heart don't bother. The ST isn't exactly a supercar to run anyway as its just a fiesta with a 1.6 engine, insurance will become a non issue after a little while anyhow.

Soldato
Get the ST. Thank us later.

I've never understood the Black/Red Edition. Seem really expensive for what they are. If you want the 1L EcoBoost just get a cheaper Zetec S, if you want more poke get a Revo remap on it.

If you've pushed to the 12k then I'm sure your man maths can stretch further.

Soldato
I have a red edition, I have leased it for the past 22 months and it goes back in October. Decent little 2nd car, sounds really nice (although I suspect the engine sound is enhanced within the cabin) and is quite nippy when it gets going. Has a bit of turbo lag (at least a 1 second delay) but you soon get used to it.

It's mainly used around town but I've done a lot of airport runs in it. Covered about 8k miles in the 2 years we have had it. Hasn't had a single issue or need to go back under warranty etc.

Associate
I've just taken on a 2 year lease of one of these. It's not an st. But it is a decent little car. The 1l engine puts out a good shove once you spool up the little turbo. You have to keep reminding yourself it's a 1l.

It sounds quite nice, being a 3 cylinder. Needs an exhaust / air box mod tho.

It's very cheap to insure if you're just starting out. I drive the nuts off of mine, and still return at least 45mpg. If you just plod along the motorways, you can happily get 55-60 mpg. But also, if you drive on the turbo, it can be as low as 39mpg. Still good tho.

The gearbox is not as good as the st's. A little bit more slushy. And only 5 speed. I don't like the red trim on the seats. The seats are also not recaro. All in all, I'd say it's deco' a feeder drug for an st. But if you can get an st do that instead. It's why I have leased a red for 2 years. And also to see what the refreshed 2017 st is like.

Back
Top Bottom