*** Sky Q Thread ***

Man of Honour
Can the mini boxes be wall mounted? Are the remotes BT or IR? Got a wall mounted TV in the bedroom and ideally I'd like the mini box out of the way. Otherwise I'll have to move a chest of drawers under the TV which would look a bit odd!

Soldato
Can the mini boxes be wall mounted? Are the remotes BT or IR? Got a wall mounted TV in the bedroom and ideally I'd like the mini box out of the way. Otherwise I'll have to move a chest of drawers under the TV which would look a bit odd!

The main box has both the touch remote (Bluetooth) and regular (IR), but the mini boxes are IR only.

Man of Honour
During the order process it showed me that my new bill would be my current monthly payment of £35.60 + the £12 per month for Q.

I've just checked the email I was sent and it's showing £74 with Sky Q on top of that.

Is that just the way the system is, or has my discount been wiped out?

Caporegime
Cheers Kev, that's a shame.

I've got mine (mini) behind the TV, the remote works just fine. My only concern is potential heat issues, but nothing thus far.

Is that just the way the system is, or has my discount been wiped out?

Sounds to me like your discount has been wiped out, my current discount never changed during the order process, just £12 got added on when the install was complete.

What does it say in Mysky? You can check upcoming subscription costs. It's probably just a duff email.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got mine behind the TV, the remote works just fine. My only concern is potential heat issues, but nothing thus far.

Sounds to me like your discount has been wiped out, my current discount never changed during the order process, just £12 got added on when the install was complete.

What does it say in Mysky? You can check upcoming subscription costs. It's probably just a duff email.

Looks that way

Last edited:
Soldato

If the Bluetooth remote is important to you, just order one off the sky accessorise site. The BT remote will work with either box. I have one of my mini q boxes velcro'd behind the tv which is wall mounted. Absolutely no issue what so ever.

But, I never paid for my second BT remote :) The advantage of being staff!

Associate
Just ordered this, one question is does the mini box have lnb inputs?

As TheVoice has answered, the Q Mini connects via your home network to the Q or Q Silver box.

It is the Q or Q Silver box that requires two feeds to the LNB.

Currently the Sky engineers are only connecting the Q Minis via WiFi. It is possible to use an Ethernet cable once they've gone. In due course, providing that you have Sky Broadband and the Q Hub, Sky will enable the PowerLine function and you might be able to use this instead.

Caporegime
How much did you pay for install?

I paid £30 for Sky Q and £30 for a Mini so £60 total.

I just can't get on with the new touch remote at all, it just doesn't feel like the most efficient way to use the system. I've binned it off for the old school remote.

Shame you can't use the old remote, had a Starwars storm trooper one :( Question is, when will the Sky Q star wars remotes come out :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
As TheVoice has answered, the Q Mini connects via your home network to the Q or Q Silver box.

It is the Q or Q Silver box that requires two feeds to the LNB.

Currently the Sky engineers are only connecting the Q Minis via WiFi. It is possible to use an Ethernet cable once they've gone. In due course, providing that you have Sky Broadband and the Q Hub, Sky will enable the PowerLine function and you might be able to use this instead.

My Sky Q install is on the 15th Sep, I'm just going to refuse to give wifi access and connect via ethernet anyway. Sky provides simple instructions for ethernet install...

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/c...d869acab5-broadband-router-to-all-sky-q-boxes

Last edited:
Soldato
My Sky Q install is on the 15th Sep, I'm just going to refuse to give wifi access and connect via ethernet anyway. Sky provides simple instructions for ethernet install...

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/c...d869acab5-broadband-router-to-all-sky-q-boxes

They may do but the engineers are trained to install via Wifi. They'll happily connect the Silver to your router via Ethernet but really won't want to use Ethernet for the minis.

Stop being awkward and just let them set up the minis on Wifi then switch them over to Ethernet afterward.

Oh, and you can't "refuse to give Wifi access" as Q doesn't use your Wifi for connectivity between the minis and Silver, it creates its own.

Man of Honour
I've got mine (mini) behind the TV, the remote works just fine. My only concern is potential heat issues, but nothing thus far.

Cheers, I'll give it a go initially and see how it works. It has the discounted price in MySky.

How much did you pay for install?

£60 for a 2TB box and mini.

If the Bluetooth remote is important to you, just order one off the sky accessorise site. The BT remote will work with either box. I have one of my mini q boxes velcro'd behind the tv which is wall mounted. Absolutely no issue what so ever.

But, I never paid for my second BT remote :) The advantage of being staff!

My concern with IR was if the remote would work if the mini box was out of site, such as behind the TV or in a drawer etc.

Back
Top Bottom