would like to get into aircraft engineering. where to start?

Soldato
hi all.

i am looking to incease my earnings potential and would like to become a aircraft propulsion engineer.

unfortuantely i am to old to join the RAF (35)

i currently work for a tool hire company and have a basic knowledge of mechanics and electrics.

qualifications wise i only have GSCE'S and a GNVQ which is all but worthless.

what qualifications should i be looking to get in order to get my foot in the door with aerospace firms?

Caporegime
Normally at least a degree in something like Mechanical Engineering. Failing that hands on experience in a technical role.

Why something so specific as aircraft propulsion (not a criticism, just curious!).

Soldato
A degree in mech or aero pretty much, given you're probably a bit past the curve to be able to do some sort of apprenticeship and still afford to live.

If you mean a maintenance technician or similar though, rather than an engineer, then that's different but I don't know where you'd start with that.

Soldato
i am looking to incease my earnings potential and would like to become a aircraft propulsion engineer.

Exactly what do you mean by this? I assume you mean an aircraft fitter role where you look after the maintenance of the engines?

If so, then it will be a case of studying for the relevant aircraft fitter qualification. I would imagine if you were younger it would be easier to get some kind of sponsorship or apprenticeship to do this. At your age I would guess it would probably involve self funded study. Once you've got the qualification, employment prospects would be good.

Soldato
OP
Normally at least a degree in something like Mechanical Engineering. Failing that hands on experience in a technical role.

Why something so specific as aircraft propulsion (not a criticism, just curious!).

To be fair, its a toss up between marine or aircraft. i love working on engines at work and ive always been interested in aviation, i know i could have a very good career in aerospace.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds more like you're looking at jobs as a mechanic / engineering technician rather than as an engineer, which likely won't need a degree but will instead have dedicated training schemes and courses, maybe HNCs

Associate
hi all.

unfortuantely i am to old to join the RAF (35)

i currently work for a tool hire company and have a basic knowledge of mechanics and electrics.

qualifications wise i only have GSCE'S and a GNVQ which is all but worthless.

what qualifications should i be looking to get in order to get my foot in the door with aerospace firms?
I know you posted this over four years ago (long before I was a forum member) but did you ever get into aircraft engineering?

Back
Top Bottom