Hillsborough inquest verdict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
or C) Was a response to another poster discussing whether public sector organisations in general shouldn't be sued because the money was ultimately going to have to be diverted from other areas.

Lots of options on this one, how exciting!

Soldato
or C) Was a response to another poster discussing whether public sector organisations in general shouldn't be sued because the money was ultimately going to have to be diverted from other areas.

Lots of options on this one, how exciting!

I gave you two mutually exclusive answers, there is no C.

Do you believe police forces should have the threat of their budgets being significantly reduced to act as a deterrent against attempting this type of conspiracy?

Yes or no?

If the answer's 'yes' than the rest of my post after your snippet still stands and if the answer is 'no' then it's an irrelevant to the subject matter of this thread.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Obviously where there's an actual crime that has been committed then the responsible parties should be punished to whatever extent the law allows. I have no idea what this has to do with the discussion that I was having with Dis86.

Soldato
I have no idea what this has to do with the discussion that I was having with Dis86.

Agreed, but that still doesn't stop it from being hypocritical when we look at their "it's not about the money" attitude so far. It is also potentially damaging to current police resources. Remember, that £20m isn't coming directly out of David Duckenfield's pocket is it?

What do you suggest compensation is paid in? You can't give time or lives back, what other currency is there that isn't money, seeing as that seems to be your major bugbear?

You say it yourself there, you can't give time or lives back. All the compensation does is take away from a public service. That just hurts more innocent people.

Short of making everything a criminal matter so people pay with prison sentences, how else would you propose to dissuade public sector organisations from breaching contract terms? Money is what we know, so money is what compensation is paid in.

If you don't want to have your budgets raided to pay fines then don't do things that lead to you being fined.

...and that's where I quoted your from. It started with Grimm specifically referring the the compensation having to come from the current force and not from the people responsible. You jumped in defending the notion of money being an adequate form of compensation at which point Dis replies stating that all it does it take away from a public service (in this instance South Yorkshire police).

Then finally, we have your post that I quoted, which given the line of conversation comes across as you agreeing that SYP should have their budget "raided" to act as a deterrent.

If that isn't what you think, you've done a really bad job at getting what you do think across.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It was addressing the notion that it wasn't a good thing for public sector bodies to pay compensation as it ultimately affects frontline services. As is quite obvious if you were to carry on reading. Thanks for the post review though, I will definitely try harder in future.

Soldato
It was addressing the notion that it wasn't a good thing for public sector bodies to pay compensation as it ultimately affects frontline services.

Um...yes....I got that and you are in support of raiding public sector bodies budgets if it acts as a deterrent right? If not, what do you mean by...

"If you don't want to have your budgets raided to pay fines then don't do things that lead to you being fined."

Caporegime
Um...yes....I got that and you are in support of raiding public sector bodies budgets if it acts as a deterrent right? If not, what do you mean by...

"If you don't want to have your budgets raided to pay fines then don't do things that lead to you being fined."

It means that I don't think public sector bodies should be exempt from compensation claims just because the money ultimately comes from the taxpayer.

The alternative is that they act with impunity because as long as no criminal acts are performed the worst that can happen is some internal disciplinary, which isn't much comfort to someone who for example may have a legitimate grievance around their employment.

If it acts as a deterrent from being a badly run organisation then it acts as a deterrent, but that's more a byproduct of the notion of having to compensate people existing.

Soldato
It means that I don't think public sector bodies should be exempt from compensation claims just because the money ultimately comes from the taxpayer.

The alternative is that they act with impunity because as long as no criminal acts are performed the worst that can happen is some internal disciplinary, which isn't much comfort to someone who for example may have a legitimate grievance around their employment.

If it acts as a deterrent from being a badly run organisation then it acts as a deterrent, but that's more a byproduct of the notion of having to compensate people existing.

It's not a deterrent because it's coming from the tax payer though, the deterrent, as you said in the quote, is having their budgets raided. Which means giving them less ability to carry out current and future services to the same level.

Hence my cherry picked example of a possible consequence to supporting that notion and the rest of my post which you initially queried...

Whilst I admittedly used an emotive and extreme example, the slashing of £20m from any force's coffers is going to have real world knock on effects. It could be that they have to cancel the Christmas Party for a few years and cut back on bonuses, but they could also just choose to invest less in the services they provide.

...and yes, I'm aware they spent £19m on legal fees already, which also is subjected to the above, and yes I am not happy with that but doubling it will only double the effect.

How about the Government pay it as a general failure in civil services of which the police are a part. Despite how some have portrayed me on here, I'd rather my taxes were paid on compensation for the affected families than seeing the possibility of an innocent community seeing a reduction in police services.

If you want to punish SYP, then break them up and consolidate them into a general Yorkshire force with the people at the top of the forces that absorb them remaining in the top jobs. We shouldn't be punishing anyone who works for SYP or requires their services that had nothing to do with Hillsbrough. Then go for legal action Duckenfield and his cronies who were!

Caporegime
I guess the question to you would be why SYP and/or the police/public sector bodies in general should be exempt from the rules that apply to everybody else?

Your extreme emotive example could happen in any situation where there isn't an infinite number of a thing, there's no reason why it would only be triggered by having to pay compensation claims.

Man of Honour
Clearly the SYP budget can handle the weight of the compensation amounts, or are we saying they can pay £19m without cuts but can't pay £20m?

After all, it was known within the force that they were guilty, so the compensation claim shouldn't come as any sort of surprise.

Soldato
Clearly the SYP budget can handle the weight of the compensation amounts, or are we saying they can pay £19m without cuts but can't pay £20m?

After all, it was known within the force that they were guilty, so the compensation claim shouldn't come as any sort of surprise.

From what I gather the SYP didn't pay for most of the legal costs, the taxpayer did:

"The cost of legal representation for the eight former South Yorkshire police officers, including Match Commander David Duckenfield and the current chief constable of the force, has been paid by South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner and amounts to £19.4 million.

However, for the costs incurred, the Home Secretary provided the South Yorkshire PCC with Special Grant funding of £5.1 million for 2013/14 and £9.3 million for 2014/15, and has agreed to provide up to £5 million for 2015/16, to cover the legal fees."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/26/Hillsborough-disaster-verdict-96-victims-unlawfully-killed-jury-concludes/

Taking £20m from the SYP would likely be very damaging unless they are bailed out with taxpayer's money. Honestly I doubt the SYP even has £20m available to spend on paying compensation out, they probably have nothing at all in the bank as resources for public services such as the Police are extremely low at the moment due to the government cuts.

Caporegime
Im regards to the money does the police/govenrment not have some form of insurnace policy for this kind of thing?

Similar to doctors malpractice insurnace to pay out in an event like this?

Man of Honour
From what I gather the SYP didn't pay for most of the legal costs, the taxpayer did:

"The cost of legal representation for the eight former South Yorkshire police officers, including Match Commander David Duckenfield and the current chief constable of the force, has been paid by South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner and amounts to £19.4 million.

However, for the costs incurred, the Home Secretary provided the South Yorkshire PCC with Special Grant funding of £5.1 million for 2013/14 and £9.3 million for 2014/15, and has agreed to provide up to £5 million for 2015/16, to cover the legal fees."

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/26/Hillsborough-disaster-verdict-96-victims-unlawfully-killed-jury-concludes/

Taking £20m from the SYP would likely be very damaging unless they are bailed out with taxpayer's money. Honestly I doubt the SYP even has £20m available to spend on paying compensation out, they probably have nothing at all in the bank as resources for public services such as the Police are extremely low at the moment due to the government cuts.

...in which case it's highly likely that they'll have to go cap-in-hand for the money again. Not convinced it'll affect frontline services.

Man of Honour
Im regards to the money does the police/govenrment not have some form of insurnace policy for this kind of thing?

Similar to doctors malpractice insurnace to pay out in an event like this?

The NHSLA pays all the Clinical Negligence money out for malpractise.
We get the details from the NHSLA and pay the amount through a BACS transfer.

Caporegime
I imagine you can insure yourself against mistakes but not deliberate cover ups.

That is a curious one actually! I guess it all goes down to the wording of the contract really.
The police probably (because I simply don't know) being sued for the cover up though. I imagine they're being sued for the actions taken at the time that resulted in the deaths and injuries. In which case insurance should cover as that was utter incompetence. Interesting one to follow.

Man of Honour
Tonight on ITV:

Hillsborough
Today on ITV from 10:20pm to 12:10am
Powerful docu-drama by award-winning writer Jimmy McGovern, which sheds light on how the worst disaster ever to hit British sport happened, and its devastating consequences. 96 people lost their lives at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest played at the Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield. The film follows three families, from their initial excitement at getting tickets for the game, to the disaster and the subsequent emotional and legal struggles. As the families try to come to terms with their losses and fight for justice, police evidence goes missing and further questions arise. With Christopher Eccleston (Trevor Hicks), Ricky Tomlinson (John Glover), Annabelle Apsion (Jenni Hicks), Rachel Davies (Theresa Glover), Mark Womack (Eddie Spearritt), Tracey Wilkinson (Jan Spearritt), Scot Williams (Joe Glover), Maurice Roeves (Chief Supt David Duckinfield), Ian McDiarmid (Dr Popper), Kevin Knapman (Adam Spearritt) and Sarah Graham (Sarah Hicks). SUB Stereo REP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom