What does this road sign mean.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP why do you assume people think it means 40 or 50?

I would just assume they are slow drivers rather than they misunderstood the sign.

Man of Honour
Obviously there are roads where doing 60 isn't really suitable (just look at those images earlier) but we're discussing roads which are suitable for travelling at 60mph and people don't actually do 60mph on them.

As to being lost... I disagree on that one, especially with sat nav, if you are that lost that you need to slow down then it might actually be better to pull off somewhere because you're going to be focusing on everything but where you're driving and could end up causing accidents. I had someone hit my car on a large roundabout because they were too focused on finding where they were going and ended up needing to cut across 4 well signed lanes and side swiped me in the process because they didn't look at what was along side them.

We will have to agree to disagree. There are a plethora of reasons why doing 60 on a single carriageway isn't necessarily viable and there is no issue with getting annoyed with those that do. Give them space and overtake if safe to do so when appropriate or just be patient.

I agree it is frustrating when you're out for a hoon or the person ahead is not driving to your abilities but that's life. Not everyone finds driving easy or enjoys going fast.

That's why I got a reasonably fast car which makes light work of overtaking slow moving cars. :)

Caporegime
I recently attended a speed awareness course and was told that even on a country lane / less built up area - if there are lamp posts the limit is 30 unless otherwise stated with repeater signs.

I have been taking more notice of this particular rule and it's interesting how many times this technically applies where I would normally view the road as NSL.

But yeah in the main if I see that sign it's up to 60 depending on conditions.

So if it's that sign it's NSL or in this case 60mph.... :p

Not sure why you're mentioning lamp posts...

Soldato
In East Sussex and parts of Kent it appears to mean speed up to 40 and stay there regardless of any other speed limit signs. :)
Andi.

My wife and I refer to such people as "50:50s" as they stick to 50 no matter the speed limits. Motorway? 50. 40 limit through a village? 50. 20 mph zone past a school? 50. :mad:

Man of Honour
My wife and I refer to such people as "50:50s" as they stick to 50 no matter the speed limits. Motorway? 50. 40 limit through a village? 50. 20 mph zone past a school? 50. :mad:

And interestingly, 50mph is not one of the standard UK national speed limits.

Roads are only ever 50mph if they are specifically signposted at 50mph.

Man of Honour
Soldato
We will have to agree to disagree. There are a plethora of reasons why doing 60 on a single carriageway isn't necessarily viable and there is no issue with getting annoyed with those that do. Give them space and overtake if safe to do so when appropriate or just be patient.

I agree it is frustrating when you're out for a hoon or the person ahead is not driving to your abilities but that's life. Not everyone finds driving easy or enjoys going fast.

That's why I got a reasonably fast car which makes light work of overtaking slow moving cars. :)
There are situations where the road is perfectly safe to do 60 (or even the mandated 50) like the road I mentioned earlier but it's not safe to overtake because of all the bends. You've also got the situation where they drive at just the 'right' speed to make it so it's dangerous to overtake in the 'safe spots' without breaking the speed limits. Plus these aren't people who don't know the area, they're primarily people who live in the same village as me and should know the road pretty well :mad:

And it's not even hooning it, it's just driving along at the a speed that 90% of the car drivers actually do on that bit of road :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom